Author Topic: thinking of learning a German plane  (Read 4004 times)

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
Re: thinking of learning a German plane
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2008, 03:25:02 PM »
G-2 has better front view than the later ones, which have the MG bulges blocking far too much of the front view. G-2 is nimble, but I would not take gondolas on it, unless you fly with friends or are a crack shooter. With gondolas you will find it hard to get entangled in a furball or when you want to disengage.

If you want to go after buffs, you will want the gondolas. Then take G-14. It has the power to carry them. You just need to avoid the hardest turn fights and fly more conservatively.

Above comments in Late War Arena context.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2008, 03:54:48 PM »
And so is the E4.

The E-4 is good for 2 kills vs all comers in the LWA. It's surprisingly capable of holding its own vs the late war rides....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline abc123

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 04:52:50 PM »

109G2...

It turns well enough to mix it up (though it's not a stall fighter).

Oh, but I beg to differ.
Tree: 73 Myself:  0

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 07:24:45 PM »
Lot of good info here,  Thanks fellas

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 10:09:21 PM »
Well this morning I took the G6 out for a spin and really liked the way it handled. But, the guns suck IMO. I took the 20mm gun package, 50% and DT. Converengence set at 400 and dove in on a set of lancs, started firing at 600 from high 6, and it took me 2 passes for each bomber to bring them down. The same approach in a 51 and I can down them on 1st pass almost everytime.(convergence @300)
But on the upside, I found the G6 to man handle a spit16, although spit pilot was somewhat noobish. I didn't kill him but he ran away with a bloody nose  :D I think tomorrow i'll try the G14 out. :salute

« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 10:14:26 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 10:20:02 PM »
50% and DT.

The drop tank rack slows you down, even after you've dropped the tank.  Take 100% and no DT.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 10:29:21 PM »
The drop tank rack slows you down, even after you've dropped the tank.  Take 100% and no DT.

Thank you. Will do  :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2008, 12:08:29 AM »
DT rack only does -8mph on the k4. If it allows me a longer, or better fight, I take it.
I don't need that 8mph faster top speed.
-AoM-

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2008, 12:44:37 AM »
Took them all out today and I think my favorites are this in order.

F4 is a lot of fun, a little slow compared but turns the best

Next would be the G2 with and without gonz and the G14 without seems to do everything well.

The G6 I had trouble with for some reason. Seemed a little sluggish to me compared to the others. Only gave each of them one shot tho.

Think I'll look up an old Agent 360 post and read up on them a bit.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2008, 12:51:47 AM »
Took them all out today and I think my favorites are this in order.

F4 is a lot of fun, a little slow compared but turns the best

Next would be the G2 with and without gonz and the G14 without seems to do everything well.

The G6 I had trouble with for some reason. Seemed a little sluggish to me compared to the others. Only gave each of them one shot tho.

Think I'll look up an old Agent 360 post and read up on them a bit.

You know, this is interesting to me...  I also have been fairly happy with the F4 (more since I have learned to hold the trigger a bit longer)...  I'm still interested in the G2 with and without the gondolas, from my experiences...  But I have had little luck with the G6 (with or without the gondolas).  The G14 has been pretty positive for me with the 20mm hub cannon...

Interesting that the G6 seemed to be the breaking point.  I have so little experience with the 109s that a similar experience with the G6 makes me wonder what is different about the G6 that I'm not understanding?

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2008, 01:45:01 AM »
Converengence set at 400 and dove in on a set of lancs, started firing at 600 from high 6, and it took me 2 passes for each bomber to bring them down. The same approach in a 51 and I can down them on 1st pass almost everytime.(convergence @300)

Ballistics are completely different in the German planes.  You'll get used to it.

I set convergence to 650 and can take a buff out from 800 with either the 20 or 30mm.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2008, 09:26:07 AM »
Interesting that the G6 seemed to be the breaking point.  I have so little experience with the 109s that a similar experience with the G6 makes me wonder what is different about the G6 that I'm not understanding?

The G-6 is most like the G-2 than any other 109.  Its firepower is improved, but in every other respect it's a little bit worse because of the drag penalty from the cowl bulges.  It's a little slower, the climbrate is reduced, it doesn't turn quite as well, etc.

My guess is that the G-6 is more challenging because there's no one thing it does particularly well, but then it's not a total loser in any category, either.  More than any other 109, you have to make good choices and use correct ACM to get kills and survive.  Why is that?  Well, you're flying an early '43 aircraft against the whole planeset.  In the arena it's advantageous to be in a plane the turns really well, one that's fast, or even better, both.  Notice the success of the Hurri II in the main arena.  On paper, it's outclassed because its only trumps are turning circle and hizookas, but in an arena environment which does not simulate WW2 combat that's enough.  The G-6 is neither one of the fastest nor one of the most maneuverable.  It's an in-between purgatory, and if that weren't enough, you have to be a good shot, too.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2008, 11:57:31 AM »
There are really only 2 planes to learn =p the 109s and the 190. Well there's teh 110 for ground pounding and tnb too! so 3!
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2008, 01:37:54 PM »
Think of the 109's as three sets of totally different aircraft; the E4 and F4 are the turn fighters, the G2 and G6 are the jacks of all trades and the G-14 and K-4 are the E fighters.  The differences between each in their respective classes are not as great as moving from one class to another although one is always a bigger challenge than the other.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2008, 02:32:55 PM »
They're all very similar, almost like you learn 1 you can fly em all.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'