Author Topic: PANTHER--> please  (Read 2834 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: PANTHER--> please
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 09:30:40 PM »
I've got to say, we BY FAR need a standard gunned M-4 more than we need another uber-tank right now. As the last FSO showed. Firefly is too much for Panzer, but the M-8 is not an ideal stand-in for facing Panzers, and having to use stand-ins sucks anyway.

And we had the anachronism of having to use Fireflies in Tunisia, because that is the only Sherman we have, and then having to give the Axis buckets of Tigers, just to bring the field level with the Fireflies...its a mess I tell ya.

We don't need another Sherman.   CHAR, Panther, Matilda would be more adequate.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline vonKrimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 12:38:28 AM »
We don't need another Sherman.   CHAR, Panther, Matilda would be more adequate.   

Chars & Matildas :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl....yes, let us get some uber-slow & uber-undergunned GVs in there; we can play "The Fall of France" & "Dunkirk"
At least ask for the Somua S-35 & Crusader II.  Better yet, get us the Crusader III/IV &  Pz IIIj/1, heck even the Pz IIIg would be fun & useful [6pdr(57mm), 3inHow(think 75mm on LVTa4), 50mm/L60, 50mm/L42 respectively]

Back on topic, yes the Panther would be nice to have.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 12:40:53 AM by vonKrimm »

Fight Like a Girl

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 11:04:30 AM »
Yeah. It wouldnt be uber considering the other tanks we have. I think the Panther is probably the "most needed" new GV for the game.

Want to beat it? Get to a side shot or to the rear. Am I right that frontal wise it was the hardest kill for WW-ll tanks? How do the other tanks rate, compared to it, with frontal shots?

No it wasn't the hardest to kill head on. It's sloped armor helped it at standoff ranges from other well gunned tanks but it was nothing super. It could however stand on it's own against say the 75mm Shermans and other Brit tanks with low velocity main guns at close ranges. It was designed to kill T-34's of which it did a great job. The transmission was a little weak but German Panther drivers learned how to minimize the types of driving that caused a lot of the break downs. It also had the ability to operate both treads individually giving it the ability to spin on a dime. It's suspension was also another innovative design (although complicated) gave it a very smooth ride while driving over rough terrain giving it a more stable gun barrel for shooting on the move. If HT went with anything less say a standard Sherman or Brit tank they would be wasting their design time because nobody after the first few days would use it. (my opinion). If you look into German tank kills the first 50 guys you will see that the Tiger and stug are the main vehicles that are responsible. I had posted awhile ago about the stug being a better addition than the standard Sherman or Churchill and I got blasted. I mentioned that the Stug had more tank kills than the two combined. I still stand by my post. Just to balance the GV line up for the sake of balance is a dumb way to look at things. First this is a game not a history lesson. Who cares if the line up is unbalanced. It's having planes and GV's that will bring the most enjoyment and a Sherman or Chirchill won't do it.

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 11:11:40 AM »
I've got to say, we BY FAR need a standard gunned M-4 more than we need another uber-tank right now. As the last FSO showed. Firefly is too much for Panzer, but the M-8 is not an ideal stand-in for facing Panzers, and having to use stand-ins sucks anyway.

And we had the anachronism of having to use Fireflies in Tunisia, because that is the only Sherman we have, and then having to give the Axis buckets of Tigers, just to bring the field level with the Fireflies...its a mess I tell ya.

If you were using standard shemans in the FSO you would have been at a disadvantage. The current Panzer is more than a match for a standard Sherman at standoff ranges. The 75mm  L/48 gun that is on our panzers is a very good gun, much better than the Sherman's low velocity 75mm. There were Tigers in Tuinisia (not many) . A standard Sherman didn't have a chance against  Tigers. There also wasn't a large number of Shermans in Africa either.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 11:47:52 AM »
How about more planes first? There's a large gap in some of the bomber plane sets.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 12:01:54 PM »
How about more planes first? There's a large gap in some of the bomber plane sets.

I wouldn't mind seeing some other Japanese planes, but nomore Spits.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 06:33:39 PM »
On topic, I love the panther, it was a very trademark tank of WWII, and should definetley be added to this game at one point or another.

More off-topic, IMO the largest gap in this game atm is the huge lacking of the very common (mass produced) early and midwar era GVs.  Some of the larger latewar era tanks would be awesome too, but would contribute to the lacking early and midwar era armor in this game if they were added first.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 11:21:35 AM »
On topic, I love the panther, it was a very trademark tank of WWII, and should definetley be added to this game at one point or another.

More off-topic, IMO the largest gap in this game atm is the huge lacking of the very common (mass produced) early and midwar era GVs.  Some of the larger latewar era tanks would be awesome too, but would contribute to the lacking early and midwar era armor in this game if they were added first.

Heres the problem with adding ew tanks. Nobody plays in EW !!!!!!!!!!!! So adding EW tanks to the game is just wasting time on something that would not be used much. The gap between EW and MW tanks is that armor and guns got better. It would be like the B-25c's The only people that use them are perk farmers hitting strats or flying at 30k + to avoid contact. I see alot of people flying the H model but the C is a hanger queen.

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 11:27:02 AM »
I would also like to see the standard M4 for special even purposes. If you think about it, it's really surprising it's not allready in game
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 12:17:54 PM »
I would also like to see the standard M4 for special even purposes. If you think about it, it's really surprising it's not allready in game

Go to the Joesph Stalin thread and read why it wouldn't be a good addition.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 02:43:17 PM »
Heres the problem with adding ew tanks. Nobody plays in EW !!!!!!!!!!!! So adding EW tanks to the game is just wasting time on something that would not be used much. The gap between EW and MW tanks is that armor and guns got better. It would be like the B-25c's The only people that use them are perk farmers hitting strats or flying at 30k + to avoid contact. I see alot of people flying the H model but the C is a hanger queen.

I doubt EW tanks would be used much in the EWA (but then again, not much is).  Maybe as a challenge and a perk farmer in the LWA (like a lot of vehicles/planes already are).  But in scenarios and organized events, I'm sure they would be most welcomed.  While I understand a lot of things can be put into this game that will only become hanger queens (imo due to superior vehicles/planes being readily available for no to little cost in the same arena), there just aren't a lot of tanks in the game yet.  And most requests I've seen and participated in for early to mid-war era tanks are for the common models and varients, the ones that saw thousands upon thousands on the front lines at well over hundreds of historical battles (Panzer IIIs & IVs, STuGs IIIs & IVs, Shermans, the list goes on (and I don't want to play favorities)).

To say they shouldn't be added because they won't be used in the large LWA is questionable, it's always hard to say what the demand will be for something that isn't in existence.  Will they be popular to use against Tigers? Likely not.  Will they be popular in general? I think so.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 02:49:52 PM »
Not so much as being used in EW as filling in gaps for scenarions, snapshots, FSO's, ETC
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 04:09:40 PM »
In my opinion the stug would be the best choice since it was in action throughout the war. I would take a little bit of remodeling to achieve the stug 4 for LW. Too many people are against TD's in here. Their afraid of a turretless gv. I don't think it would be that big a deal .

Offline rapp25

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2009, 07:12:20 AM »
In my opinion the stug would be the best choice since it was in action throughout the war. I would take a little bit of remodeling to achieve the stug 4 for LW. Too many people are against TD's in here. Their afraid of a turretless gv. I don't think it would be that big a deal .

Yeah the stug defo deserves a spot in the game as it was used from start to finish and is quick firing but lacks the turret of course so it would be balanced. I'd personally love to see the Panther G in the game but it would probably mean having to add a late war allied tank like the pershing which is a bit of a grey area as they didnt see all that much combat. Maybe churchill or matilda from british side but il2 would be perfect to balance against the panther/tiger

Offline skullman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2009, 10:29:49 AM »
I would love to see the panther added.I am a fan of german armour.The panzer is my favorite ride but in a spawn battle I am at a disadvantage.I am a prtty good shot but most often finding to have to lay in 2 or more rounds to kill a firefly.I have lost many a gunfight due to underpowered gun although I was aiming for a soft spot and beat them to the trigger.Thhe panzer is fine in an ambush situation but in a headon fast spawn war it is a disadvantage.
been there destroyed that