Author Topic: Went to the DA furball area for the first time  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Went to the DA furball area for the first time
« on: December 13, 2008, 11:27:47 AM »
Got into a nice little fight in my f6 vs a spit something or another. Which is what I wanted to do, fight a spit. Seemed to be going quite well and then wham. Got picked!  :rofl :rofl Wow this is just like the MA's. So I left for the LW areanas. My only thought was what's the point of the DA. Can't you guys learn to pick in the MA's or is the DA for special need pickers?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 11:38:58 AM by Getback »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
Re: Went to the DA furball area for the first time
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 11:43:30 AM »
Don't expect a 1v1 in dogfight lake.  Not going to happen.  Because, see, all those dudes have to kill you so they can get their name in lights and a bunch of WTGs when the land their kills in there!  Woot!   :rock

However, if you want to get warmed up and get your SA working...furball lake can be a good 5 minute tune-up before heading to the MAs.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 11:50:53 AM »
Don't expect a 1v1 in dogfight lake.  Not going to happen.  Because, see, all those dudes have to kill you so they can get their name in lights and a bunch of WTGs when the land their kills in there!  Woot!   :rock

However, if you want to get warmed up and get your SA working...furball lake can be a good 5 minute tune-up before heading to the MAs.

Ahhhh I see. Like your idea of the warm up thing. Not so sure why getting your name in lights in that arena is important though.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 11:53:44 AM »
I use the DA furball lake for target practice before FSO sometimes.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 11:59:28 AM »
I normally find it best for practicing a plane I am learning.  For instance I normally fly the P-40 in there, I know I will get a crowd of people wanting me dead in any arena, so this works well. :aok

Just think of it this way, it is a LW arena with MW population squashed into a 4x4 cell. :)
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 12:39:46 PM »
Just for posterity's sake, I'll mention that about 2 years ago or so, the DA had a somewhat different layout and was used differently.  At that time, there was no furball lake area and everyone towered-in to A30 at the head of a canyon as Bish.  There was no Killshooter so you could kill same country planes.   People took up a plane, asked someone right there to duel (sort of like you might in the TA) and moved away a bit from A30 so not to bother anyone else, and had at it.  No waiting, no flying 3 minutes to get in range of your opponent.  You could have duel after duel after duel, within ten minutes time if you wanted. 

There were some basic rules that most everyone followed that made it work.  No shooting from the runway at anyone, no vulching or shooting anyone taking off or landing, and you were required to get or give permission to engage with anyone.  And for the most part it worked fine.  The occaisonal transgressor would get stomped-on by everyone else until they played by the rules. (Read, if they repeatedly refused to adhere to the rules, they got vulched contineously by everyone so they couldn't get off the ground until they promised to follow the rules. Unfortunate policing method, but for a long time it was very effective.)

You could easily find the better AH pilots in the DA at most any time of day and ask to fight, and often they would teach at the same time.  They'd let you join their aircraft while they dueled against other accomplished pilots and you could see what they did in a fight first hand.  Most everyone followed the rules of engagement after they learned them, but when AH2 really took off with it's commercials, and more and more people signed up for the 2 week trial, we got inundated by spoiled squeaker griefers who just want to hold down a trigger and spray at everything from the moment they spawned.  It eventually got worse, though still, 95% of the people played well, but many complained about the griefers to HiTech, asking for some assistance like an MOTD explaining the rules.  HiTech responding by simply turning on Killshooter.  No more griefers and no more DA as it was.

Alot of people used to spend as much time in the DA everyday as they did in the MA, dueling, learning, and teaching.  Now, all you got is 10 to 30 squeaker furballers and the occaisonal grudge duel, or a squad practise.  Personally, I think it was a big loss to lose the old DA.

Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 12:59:50 PM »
Ahhhh I see. Like your idea of the warm up thing. Not so sure why getting your name in lights in that arena is important though.

As if it's important in any other arena?

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 01:00:17 PM »
I'm not big on the DA, especially with all the negativity associated to it... But it's a good place, in general, and I think with some minor tweaks it could rise to the level it was as Sloehand mentions.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 01:42:30 PM by LLogann »
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 01:27:36 PM »
What really funny to me is, that guys form squads in there and never leave. :rofl
Lighten up Francis

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 02:13:27 PM »

It was meant as sarcasm.  Name in lights in the DA is simply ridiculous.  The WTGs are even more ridiculous. 

But, like I said, you can wade into furball lake and get into a 5v1 pretty easily.  I like to use it to work on my SA, practice fighting uphill, or to knock the kinks out if I haven't flown for a while.

Think of it as doing 10 minutes on the treadmill before hitting the weights.

If you're expecting anything more from furball lake, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

The squads though...the DA-only squads...now THAT might be the funniest thing in Aces High!   :aok
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 02:13:55 PM »
What really funny to me is, that guys form squads in there and never leave. :rofl

OMG!! You're kidding right!

Dace, As far as name in lights in the other arenas I don't have a problem with it. However, I find it more important to work with my squad as a team player than lone wolfing it for a few kills. Lot of satisfaction in that for me.

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 02:17:48 PM »
Rgr... :salute

Offline Kotari

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 02:28:49 PM »
Now that clears up why i got hammered with privage messages from a dude trying to recruit me into some squad there a while back.
It was just some slow evening at MA and i went there to get SA training against multi-ea, managed to kill a few and was rewarded by hailstorm of private messages until the point that i had to leave the DA :D
I never did understood why they were recruiting people into squads there.

But yeah, i use the DA "Spit pick pit" only to warm up for getting picked in MA.
-=Die Rammjäger VIII=-
Lentolaivue 34

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults"

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 02:43:14 PM »
Was his name 1pLUs?   :D
Now that clears up why i got hammered with privage messages from a dude trying to recruit me into some squad there a while back.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 03:21:22 PM by LLogann »
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 03:01:32 PM »
As if it's important in any other arena?

AHHHHH but in the other arenas these guys can't get their two kills and make it back with out getting picked in the MA's   :D