Author Topic: Switching Countries  (Read 1735 times)

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
Switching Countries
« on: December 15, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
My wish is for a longer time limit on switching countries, I would like to see a 3 to 8 hour time span on how fast you can switch back to your country of origin, this will curtail a lot of the gaming the game play that we all see at times  or how about loosing perk points if you try to switch sides before the time limit or charge perks just for switching sides, this could cause more of the shade accounts being created, and as you know we can't do much about that unless HT wants to do something to correct that issue.  :salute

"Where ever you go, there you are".
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Switching Countries
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 12:13:28 PM »
The time limit as it stands now is just fine and there is no reason to change it.  A lot of players (like myself) and squadrons (like the 80th Headhunters) switch to help even out the sides when the numbers are imbalanced.  What you want to impose is not going to stop any of the behavior you wish to stop. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 12:14:19 PM »
I don't have a country of "origin" ... so am I exempt ?
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 12:46:33 PM »
The time limit is short so that players can switch to balance the arena roster.

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 01:00:08 PM »
The time limit is short so that players can switch to balance the arena roster.

At least that is the idea....

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 01:21:48 PM »
At least that is the idea....

The behavior that DCCBOSS wants to put an end won't be stopped by increasing the time it takes to switch countries.  I'm also willing to bet that far more switch sides to 1) even up the numbers or 2) fly with a friend is far more common than someone switching to spy or gain perks from the reset.

ack-ack

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 01:49:04 PM »
The time limit as it stands now is just fine and there is no reason to change it.  A lot of players (like myself) and squadrons (like the 80th Headhunters) switch to help even out the sides when the numbers are imbalanced.  What you want to impose is not going to stop any of the behavior you wish to stop. 

ack-ack

I have now problem with your reasoning for switching sides, but I have to wonder since we have ENY which was put in place buy HTC to solve the problem you are talking about, why do you and other squads finding it necessary to do this. :noid

As far as the time limit goes if you are incline to switch countries for the day the week or month this time limit should not matter to you, now as far as the people who do this to gain a unfair advantage over the other countries and that is what this is all about and would most likely have a problem with the time limit. Now if anybody doesn't have a problem with people doing this type of game play then why don't you PM someone in the other country and let them know when you are going to attack, or a mission objective so on it is basically the same thing. :salute
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 01:51:32 PM by DCCBOSS »
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 02:16:05 PM »
I have now problem with your reasoning for switching sides, but I have to wonder since we have ENY which was put in place buy HTC to solve the problem you are talking about, why do you and other squads finding it necessary to do this. :noid

Being able to switch countries is necessary for the country balancer to work.  Arena numbers are fluid, especially in smaller populated arenas.  Just the other evening AKAK and I logged into MW, and switched from knights, to rooks, and back to knights again as the situation changed in the arena.  Before we logged a couple of players we had been fighting, switched to knights to balance out the furball.  This cannot happen with long time limits.  Typically it's a minority of players that are willing to switch to balance the arena, and it's counter productive to prevent them from changing for long periods of time.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 02:21:48 PM »
2) fly with a friend is far more common than someone switching to spy or gain perks from the reset.
That's a misconception anyway.  A player needs to be with the country for 12 hours to collect reset points.

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 04:21:23 PM »
Being able to switch countries is necessary for the country balancer to work.  Arena numbers are fluid, especially in smaller populated arenas.

So you are telling me that ENY and Floating Arena Population Caps are not meant to or are unable to do the same thing, and how would 3, 4, 5 or 8 hour delay in returning to your country of origin unbalance the Arena. The assumption of course is the people that switch to balance the sides are doing it with out any bias and it is fairly and timely enough to coincide with the Arena or countries variables.

DCCBOSS :salute
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 04:28:33 PM »
Being able to switch countries is necessary for the country balancer to work.  Arena numbers are fluid, especially in smaller populated arenas.

So you are telling me that ENY and Floating Arena Population Caps are not meant to or are unable to do the same thing, and how would 3, 4, 5 or 8 hour delay in returning to your country of origin unbalance the Arena.

So if the ENY is preventing me from flying my Ki84 or P38 (which would be some pretty dang high ENY) I'm supposed to switch arenas or just log off instead of simply switching countries?  I was under the impression that the ENY limiting was to encourage people to switch teams to the low numbers side or deal with the penalty of not having access to the better rides.

I have many friends in this game and a chess piece isn't part of what I need to identify with to make those friends.  I get frustrated enough as it is with the time limit on switching countries, why make it worse?

If it took 8 hours to switch sides I'm sure the team imbalances would actually grow worse.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline dunnrite

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 04:33:55 PM »
I have wondered why we couldn't have more options in the lobby.  For example, each arena has the option to join rook, bish, or knight depending on how many are on one team.  

Late War Orange--Rooks-100/100
                         Bishops-98/100
                         Knights-78/100

This way you could see from the lobby which side needs more numbers.  I guess this would be a problem with people logging out in order to change countries, but if it were regulated, it might be a way to help with arena caps, also.
Amazing you could actually recruit that much suck into one squad.
Your Proctologist called, they found your head.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 04:34:05 PM »
So if the ENY is preventing me from flying my Ki84 or P38 (which would be some pretty dang high ENY) I'm supposed to switch arenas or just log off instead of simply switching countries?  I was under the impression that the ENY limiting was to encourage people to switch teams to the low numbers side or deal with the penalty of not having access to the better rides.

I have many friends in this game and a chess piece isn't part of what I need to identify with to make those friends.  I get frustrated enough as it is with the time limit on switching countries, why make it worse?

If it took 8 hours to switch sides I'm sure the team imbalances would actually grow worse.

Spot on.  :aok
See Rule #4

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 04:45:28 PM »

So you are telling me that ENY and Floating Arena Population Caps are not meant to or are unable to do the same thing, and how would 3, 4, 5 or 8 hour delay in returning to your country of origin unbalance the Arena. The assumption of course is the people that switch to balance the sides are doing it with out any bias and it is fairly and timely enough to coincide with the Arena or countries variables.

The floating arena population cap has nothing to do with attempting to balance the population numbers of each country, that's what the ENY tries to attempt.  While ENY does help, it can't do the job completely because ultimately it is the player's decision to switch to even things up or not.

ack-ack

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 04:49:30 PM »

So you are telling me that ENY and Floating Arena Population Caps are not meant to or are unable to do the same thing, and how would 3, 4, 5 or 8 hour delay in returning to your country of origin unbalance the Arena.

ENY gives players the choice to either stay where they are and take the penalty, or switch sides.  ENY is just the incentive for players to balance the arena...players switching countries is what actually does the balancing.

I have switched countries to balance the arena before there was such a thing as a country balancing system, and the country change time limit was 6 hours.  The arena numbers would change, but I would be stuck where I was for another 4 hours.  It was even worse when the limit was 12 hours.  Like I said, it's counter productive to country balancing.

Dynamic caps have nothing to do with country balancing.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 04:54:04 PM by Murdr »