Author Topic: Need some help -- Musicians please  (Read 600 times)

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
Need some help -- Musicians please
« on: December 15, 2008, 05:45:50 PM »
Well, I'm saving up 1000 to 2000$$ to get some stuff to record my own CD and make my band. I have 3 electric guitars, and a Bass guitar.

This is what I plan to get (drumset not specified yet)

Anything else I probably need to get in your opinion? What I got, is it poor quality? I'm trying to keep it cheap. I'm just getting stuff off the top of my head now.

Drum Set
MXL 990/MXL 991 Recording Microphone Package http://www.guitarcenter.com/MXL-990-MXL-991-Recording-Microphone-Package-102543741-i1126981.gc
Alesis iMultiMix 8 USB http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-iMultiMix-8-USB-104635909-i1276015.gc
Lexicon Lambda USB Desktop Studio http://www.guitarcenter.com/Lexicon-Lambda-USB-Desktop-Studio-103725602-i1126258.gc
Fender Standard Precesion Bass http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-Precision-Bass-516041-i1148879.gc
Fender Frontman 212R 100W 2x12 Guitar Combo Amp http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Frontman-212R-100W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104506076-i1323510.gc

Tell me what you think, I'd like your opinions. I've got some friends who are interested in doing this as well. And after looking forever, found a drummer! :)
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Need some help -- Musicians please
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 05:51:33 PM »
Well I don't know much about stuff other than drums, but if you need help looking and choosing different components for it gimme a shout!
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 05:55:23 PM »
What set up do you have? I wanna get ahead of the game. I have already written some stuff for the lead guitar, backup guitar, and bass, but nothing for drums. What would you do? Like what would you set up? I can probably get some simple stuff written in, and have our drummer kind of add it up himself.  :salute

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 06:11:54 PM »
Well, what kind of band are you looking at? Most of the time the drummer follows a simple beat and makes the stuff up as he goes, while still counting and keeping in line with the rest of the band. Remember, the drummer is the backbone ahead of the bass guitarist. Other bands have the drummer follow a specific beat or piece of music, but that depends on if the guitarists can go out on their own and don't need a straight beat.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 06:23:34 PM »
Well, we're looking into I guess, what would be Alternative? With kind of a little bit of what they call 'punk' I guess. Which is basically simple, slightly high notes on the lead, and lower notes on the backup. Bass will follow backup, or do his own thing depending on where in the music.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_HKns1XEFM

Listen to the first 30 seconds or so, you may know what I'm talking about. I'm not trying to sound like them, heck no, but the guitar will be something along like that.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 06:36:58 PM »
Usually alternative has the drum part like I mentioned, follow a simple beat and make it up as you go. Sometimes the bass guitarist will do the same thing.

Avenged Sevenfold has plenty of different styles of music, you might find some sstyle you like. You looking at slower music...semi-up beat or screamo fast? :)

FlyKommando.com

Offline CAVPFCDD

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 08:10:59 PM »
well first of all its called lead in rhythm guitar... and why dont you make who ever your drummer is going to be buy a drum kit? I'm a little confused here, bands usually form when a group of friends who each play different instruments get together

where do you live i know a couple people with studios
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace." - Duane Allman

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." Jerry Garcia

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 08:48:41 PM »
well first of all its called lead in rhythm guitar... and why dont you make who ever your drummer is going to be buy a drum kit? I'm a little confused here, bands usually form when a group of friends who each play different instruments get together

where do you live i know a couple people with studios

Drummer has a drum kit, but lets see, waste all that time bringing it to my house for a 2 or 3 hour rehearsal, or, have it there conveniently. Plus, I've always wanted a drum set. :D

Usually alternative has the drum part like I mentioned, follow a simple beat and make it up as you go. Sometimes the bass guitarist will do the same thing.

Avenged Sevenfold has plenty of different styles of music, you might find some sstyle you like. You looking at slower music...semi-up beat or screamo fast? :)

1 = slower music, 10 = screamo fast?
1 to 10,a lil bit of it all.

Offline Cougar68

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 09:51:52 PM »
I run a recording studio and can tell you that the recording equipment you've got lined up isn't going to give you the sound you want.  Drums can be mic'd up with a minimum of three mics, but you'd be much better off to mic each individual piece.  A decent drum mic pack is the Audix Fusion series and will set you back about $350-400.  From there you'd need a SM57 or two for the guitar amp at $100 a piece.  The Alesis unit you've listed is alright for doing small acoustic demos, but it's not really going to work that well for a punk sound.  You'd need something like the MOTU 896 which will set you back a grand.

My advice?  Pick up a four channel recorder to catch basic song ideas and practice.  Once your tunes are rehearsed up and tight, jump into a professional studio and pay them $25-35 an hour to record your stuff.  You'll come out WAAAAYYYY cheaper and get better results as well.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 10:15:57 PM »
Thanks man, there is a local place in Georgetown. I may hit it up. Get the 1000 - 2000 $$ and record it after I got my songs written.

I'm just working it from A to B. I'm planning ahead of time so I got my stuff squared away so I'm not in a rush. I'm definately getting the drumset. I want 1 of those :lol

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 10:29:49 PM »
PM me an email and I'll send you a song or 2 I did on a 4 track cassette...

2 things any recording needs: a Shure SM57 and a compressor.

I had/have a Mackie 16 ch mixer, a Boss DR550 drum machine, 1 SM57, 1 cheap Audio-Technica M4000, an Alesis nano-compressor, and a Yamaha 4 track...

Once I got the tracks on the PC (after 7 years on tape) you can do amazing things with recording and mixing software.

A familiar AH player used a song of mine in his youtube movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHg0d4qfx7Y

I don't think it's that bad for $1500 in hardware and a bit of software for the strings and mixing (remember those guitar tracks and the bass line were laid down on tape 7+ years ago) though I did one acoustic overdub at the end with a $99 Sears guitar and double mic mixed together, 1 in the sound hole, 1 5" up the fretboard.
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 10:44:44 PM »
PM sent

Offline CAVPFCDD

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 11:38:54 PM »
georgetown what state, i know a couple people with studios who owe me favors
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace." - Duane Allman

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." Jerry Garcia

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 06:31:57 PM »
I can help you with percussion equipment, gear and recording methods. I've been playing for 25 years. Played DW for a decade; last year switched to Truth (www.truthdrums.com). I've played in a semi-pro setting for about 12 years. Now only playing in church and indie demos from a contact in Nashville. Well versed in Jazz, Rock, Alt/Punk, Christian and Worship. Have played on numerous records and live settings from coffee shops to arenas. That was back 8 years or so ago. Home studio consisting of Reason, Live 7 and Pro-Tools for mastering. Still supplementing income with demos and still putting about 15 hours a week into staying loose.  If I can be of any help, drop me a PM.

:)
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 10:11:15 PM »
georgetown what state, i know a couple people with studios who owe me favors

Georgetown Texas. There's a few recording studios in the area, I'm thinking of doing the small one in Georgetown. IIRC, there's one in the square.

I can help you with percussion equipment, gear and recording methods. I've been playing for 25 years. Played DW for a decade; last year switched to Truth (www.truthdrums.com). I've played in a semi-pro setting for about 12 years. Now only playing in church and indie demos from a contact in Nashville. Well versed in Jazz, Rock, Alt/Punk, Christian and Worship. Have played on numerous records and live settings from coffee shops to arenas. That was back 8 years or so ago. Home studio consisting of Reason, Live 7 and Pro-Tools for mastering. Still supplementing income with demos and still putting about 15 hours a week into staying loose.  If I can be of any help, drop me a PM.

:)

and I would very much like any help I can get.