Author Topic: P-47-D11  (Read 1286 times)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Re: P-47-D11
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2008, 07:52:13 PM »
Welp, I went to DokGonzo's and looked at the climb numbers for 190A-5 and 109G-6 against P-47D-11 and P-47N (as kind of a surrogate for a D-11 with a paddle prop and 70" of MAP available.) Pretty close above 20K, Jug becoming superior above 25K. Considering that Johnson's P-47 also gave him a higher level speed, it indeed seems perfectly plausible that no 190 or 109 could get away from him by climbing at typical engaging altitudes during the period in which he flew.

That is not even considering the speculative high-alt performance for the relatively  lightweight D-11 with the paddle prop AND hotrodded for 70" MAP.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2008, 08:58:07 PM »
Welp, I went to DokGonzo's and looked at the climb numbers for 190A-5 and 109G-6 against P-47D-11 and P-47N (as kind of a surrogate for a D-11 with a paddle prop and 70" of MAP available.) Pretty close above 20K, Jug becoming superior above 25K. Considering that Johnson's P-47 also gave him a higher level speed, it indeed seems perfectly plausible that no 190 or 109 could get away from him by climbing at typical engaging altitudes during the period in which he flew.

That is not even considering the speculative high-alt performance for the relatively  lightweight D-11 with the paddle prop AND hotrodded for 70" MAP.

interesting BnZs, would like to see what a paddle prop water injected jug could do versus other planes in the MA
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2008, 11:14:23 AM »
interesting BnZs, would like to see what a paddle prop water injected jug could do versus other planes in the MA

It wouldn't be spectacular- we're not talking about a Spit XIV, here.  But it's vertical capability, as well as it's ability to regain E would be significantly helped- these two bonuses would help to "cover up" the Jug's biggest weak spots, thus making it a more complete high performance package. 

Toss 150 octane and 70" hg, though, and it helps even more. 
"You rebel scum"

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2008, 01:00:56 PM »
It wouldn't be spectacular- we're not talking about a Spit XIV, here.  But it's vertical capability, as well as it's ability to regain E would be significantly helped- these two bonuses would help to "cover up" the Jug's biggest weak spots, thus making it a more complete high performance package. 

Toss 150 octane and 70" hg, though, and it helps even more. 

Oh yeah, my guess is with the added speed is it wouldn't turn as well but would be a real nice E fighter like a Dora

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2008, 08:46:01 PM »
Oh yeah, my guess is with the added speed is it wouldn't turn as well but would be a real nice E fighter like a Dora

Ummm...added horsepower in and of itself does *nothing* to reduce turning ability. You don't *have* to firewall the throttle.  :D
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2008, 08:48:31 PM »
Ummm...added horsepower in and of itself does *nothing* to reduce turning ability. You don't *have* to firewall the throttle.  :D

Trust me I'm not one to firewall the throttle but generally if it's faster, the turning radius is larger. Simple physics

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2008, 09:18:05 PM »
Trust me I'm not one to firewall the throttle but generally if it's faster, the turning radius is larger. Simple physics

A D-11 with the paddle and/or capable of pulling 70" would represent a thrust increase without a significant weight increase...the added thrust would in fact allow it to sustain a better turn than an identical craft with less thrust.

Speaking of speed, IIRC the paddle prop in and of itself actually cuts ~5 mph off the top end, the toothpick design being more efficient at high speed, albeit I think this would be a worthwhile sacrifice if it improves the D-11's climb and acceleration as much as some accounts would seem to claim.

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2008, 07:50:08 AM »
A D-11 with the paddle and/or capable of pulling 70" would represent a thrust increase without a significant weight increase...the added thrust would in fact allow it to sustain a better turn than an identical craft with less thrust.

That makes sense I suppose, more power to whip it around in the turns

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2008, 07:16:46 PM »
I'm waiting for WW to weigh in!
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/