Author Topic: Film Viewer Camera Shots Tutorial  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Film Viewer Camera Shots Tutorial
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 05:54:10 PM »
Okay, I've watched the tutorial, and I found it quite helpful.

However, there's one area that you did not cover.

Using your guide I've set up a simple plane relative camera shot with a duration of 12 seconds. I've tried "stream shot to AVI" and all it gives me is 12 seconds of an odd view of a field tower.

Other than just running FRAPs while you hit "play shot" how do you dump this into the film viewers export feature? Folks have been saying it works as long as you use uncompressed frames.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 06:59:05 PM »
I didn't cover it since I never figured it out myself.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline JETBLST

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 07:04:40 PM »
When I made my video I never used fraps once.  I streamed to AVI. 

If your looking to do that, instead of fraps let me know.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 10:19:45 PM »
I tried that many time. I also tried not using camera shots and just saving as an AVI a short ahf clip. Every time I am given a clip of the proper length (if it's valid) but it's just the inside/outside of the tower and nothing that I need.

I hit the "stream" checkbox, gave it a name, chose 720, chose 30 fps (also tried the defaults, had the same problems). It doesn't export well for me.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 10:35:47 PM »
A lot of it is picking the right codec for it to stream into avi.  It's been a while, but I think I had the best luck with Windows Video 1 codec.  Also, I grab and extra 5 seconds before and after the shot to allow for scene transitions and the occasional hiccup in texture painting at the beginning.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 10:43:23 PM »
That doesn't work. It looks like I'm standing on the big pad of a medium/large field staring up at an awkward angle for the allotted time, but doesn't show me what it should.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2009, 08:38:12 AM »
So, you've set up your shot and it plays just fine?  All you should need to do is check the box to stream to avi, and then play your shot again.  Sometimes I find it helpful to click the "goto start" button (or whatever it says) to get to the beginning of the shot, then play the shot.  Before the shot plays, it should prompt you for a codec and filename.  If this isn't working, then I'm at a loss as to why.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 07:21:03 PM »
Well, that seems to be the case for me :(

Was hoping to get higher res video clips than I can get with FRAPs, but oh well.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 08:21:31 PM »
What kind of resolution are you looking for?
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 03:32:03 PM »
FRAPs doesn't like to run at "full size" on my system, even though I never have slowdowns during the game, during playback of the films I have major stutter issues when FRAPs is running. I've had to run at "half size" which gives me very little resolution to work with, if you've seen my videos to date.

I was hoping for something at least in the 720 range, because I crop in and resize, etc as I'm editing.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 03:46:10 PM »
FRAPs doesn't like to run at "full size" on my system, even though I never have slowdowns during the game, during playback of the films I have major stutter issues when FRAPs is running. I've had to run at "half size" which gives me very little resolution to work with, if you've seen my videos to date.

I was hoping for something at least in the 720 range, because I crop in and resize, etc as I'm editing.
I used to have studder issues with fraps (even across different version).  I thought it was something with my computer and could never figure it out.  Such as my monitor is set at 60 Hz and I'd open up the Film Viewer and my FPS would show up in Fraps as 45 or less with some jerkiness.  And then by chance one day, I had Window Media Player open and was playing around with the Film viewer and it seemed smooth.  Open up Fraps and it said my FPS was a solid 60.

Long story short, when I record with Fraps for AH Films, I have to have Window Media Player open.  Skuzzy said it may have been a glitch with Directshow or something similar.  I'd give it a try Krusty.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2009, 05:05:07 PM »
Whoa.... Freaky enough, that helps! Getting only a few stutters by doing that, instead of constant.

Thanks!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2009, 10:11:12 AM »
Most CODEC's cannot handle resolutions higher than 720x480, or 640x480 (NTSC).  If you want to go higher, you probably should be using H.264, X.264, AVC, MPEG2, or Uncompressed.

Uncompressed will usually end up with the best image quality after encoding to the final format.  It just takes a ton of disk space.

I'd like to check out this tutorial, but I cannot get to your WEB page.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:13:25 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2009, 12:41:27 PM »
I'd like to check out this tutorial, but I cannot get to your WEB page.
What kind of error to do get?  Does it time out?

Anyways, try these links for a direct download:
http://www.aceshighmovies.com/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&Itemid=56&task=finish&cid=107&catid=4

And this one is where its physically stored on the server:
http://www.derstuhl.net/ahmd/uploads/Aces%20High%20Training%20and%20Help%20Movies/ahfilm_camerashots_tut.zip

Offline Surf35

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2009, 08:18:48 PM »
I made this film after watching this tutorial. It was really helpful, THANKS!   :salute

http://www.4shared.com/file/81082101/c8d44b9f/equinox800.html
download it for full quality