Author Topic: F4u vs Spit  (Read 394 times)

Offline Gomer

• Zinc Member
F4u vs Spit
« on: November 01, 2000, 12:27:00 AM »
This is the first thing I've have ever Questioned in this Game...

I just want someone to explain to me how the F4u can out turn a spitfire????

Could the F4u out turn Zeke's????

If they could not, I wish something would be done about it... I'm not whining about the f4u's cannons... I just want facts...
I know many of you will or could give me Noval bout in 1945 they tested this and they tested that..  I just dont believe that the F4u could do it...

[This message has been edited by Gomer (edited 11-01-2000).]

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
F4u vs Spit
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2000, 07:05:00 AM »
So why ask the question, if you are already saying that you won't believe the evidence or proof that they answer you with?

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

funked

F4u vs Spit
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2000, 07:29:00 AM »
I fly the Spit more than any other type.  I've never been out-turned by an F4U.

F4U's bleed energy so fast that sometimes they end up really slow and turn a very small radius circle.  But their sustained turn rate sucks.  

If the Spit and the F4U start with equal altitude and speed, the F4U is dying or running every time if both pilots know their business.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
F4u vs Spit
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2000, 08:01:00 AM »
Got film?

-Westy

Offline Gomer

• Zinc Member
F4u vs Spit
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2000, 09:00:00 AM »
Well thats just it... When they run they get about 600 meters in  front of me and Bam they are coming at me Head-ON...
I'll start filming it...

I was wondering if anyone Else has noticed this.

[This message has been edited by Gomer (edited 11-01-2000).]

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
F4u vs Spit
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2000, 09:02:00 AM »
 CC. I've been filming left and right to not only help myself but in hopes of cathing an anomoly I saw an F4U do a coupe of weeks ago. Nothing yet.

-Westy

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
F4u vs Spit
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2000, 09:07:00 AM »
Straight level turn he out turned you? Sure he didnt use a yo yo on ya..pull up use roll to change dir and then close on your tail...With speed the f4u can do that kind of thing really fast..but turn..I would be real suprised

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
F4u vs Spit
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2000, 10:12:00 AM »
What was the speed of the turn, the Spit's turning advantage dimishes with speed on the Hog... at high speed (like with the P51), he might be able to out-turn you.  Also, if you flat turned and he Yo'd or something, that could make up the difference.

If you were both low and slow on the deck with big flat turns, well, even with his flaps you'll end up on his tail in a short time.

I suspect you tried to out-turn him fast, should'a tried to bleed him slow or gone vertical on him and forced him to give up position or come up to join you but lose all his speed for alt.

Soda

Soda

Offline Robert

• Copper Member
      • http://home.midsouth.rr.com/rwysairwar/
F4u vs Spit
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2000, 10:53:00 AM »
I wish some one could tell me what they mean when they say a spits turn diminishes with hi speed. I've tried everything I can think of when in a 51 at hi speed to keep a spit off me. ranges from 350 to 550 ias and nothing seems to work. they pull lead and follow my rolls with no problems at all at any speed.

RWY

Offline tshred

• Copper Member
F4u vs Spit
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2000, 01:14:00 PM »
Same here RWY. I remember 'back in the old days' when you could pull a hi speed turn to the left with a spit on your tail and lose him in the turn. Now days, they stay right with you. Hmmm.

ts

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
F4u vs Spit
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2000, 02:36:00 PM »
I had an encounter with NUTTZ a few days back.  I was p51 and he was N1K S of 21.  We passed nearly HO at about 20k.  He went straight, I turned and followed.   A minute later and 2k out, the N1K pulled a High Gee maneover, going up and over coming right back at me with tremendous speed and clarity.  At 1k we were on a collision course and the N1K (err NUTTZ    gunned me brains out all in a matter of four or five seconds -from start of loop over to finish-.

I remember several people near by going "did you see THAT!...unfediddleng believable"....

It was totally BS at 20k to have ANY high speed plane reversing up and over like that and keeping so much energy but I have simply stopped wondering.  Thats just the way these FMs are working at the moment and many here think "thats the way it was"...err...or "Got Film?"  LOL

Nothing aginst NUTTS, he did a fine job on me givin the circumstances  

NUTTZ, were you using combat trim?

Live with it, fly with LOTS of SIX Clearers  and just try to stay on top as long as possible.

Yeager

[This message has been edited by Yeager (edited 11-01-2000).]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
F4u vs Spit
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2000, 02:49:00 PM »

Originally posted by Gomer:
I just want someone to explain to me how the F4u can out turn a spitfire????

Hi Gomer

I think I can explain. Take a look at the following diagrams.

This first one is for the Mk IX and the C Hog and shows their relative instantaneous and sustained turning performance.

Notice that the F4 does have a sustained turn advantage at high speed. Also that the Spitfire has a very significant advantage at low speed, as indicated by their relative maximum sustained turns. The diagram below shows what that rate and radius difference would look like.

With more than 3 degrees per second sustained turn rate advantage, and a smaller turn circle, I think few Spitfire drivers will be complaining if any F4U driver was unfortunate enough to find himself on the opposite side of that turn circle!!

However, that doesn't mean that the Spitfire is going to have an easy time fighting the F4U, quite the contrary! A good F4U driver simply won't enter that part of the envelope where the Spitfire is stronger. The magic number here for the F4U driver is 265mph, that's where the sustained turn rate curves cross. Above that speed, the F4U bleeds energy less quickly than the Spitfire. He has a sustained turn rate advantage and equality in the instantaneous turns!

It's an advantage that is only transitory, and for an unskilled pilot, fleeting and elusive. However, a skilled pilot can appear to make it last for an eternity.

Good F4U drivers have the ability to fly to their strength and stay above that speed, looking for an early shot before using their escape window.

Even so, the next thing to notice is that few fights start Co-E, and you can see from that EM diagram how a greater initial energy level directly equates to maneuvering potential. An F4U with more energy than a Spitfire will enjoy a higher turn rate for longer. More wisely, the F4U will have the ability to stay fast and go out of plane for a shot while maintaining an escape window.  In my experience a good energy fighter will often leave the unsuccessful angles fighter feeling as though he has been out turned! It is the ability to convert an energy advantage into a positional advantage that forms the heart of BFM. It is that combination of energy and positional geometry that can result in surprising or unexpected advantage that makes BFM such a rewarding, almost beautiful intellectual challenge.

I remember a time when I felt the same as you, we have all been there! No one gets to be good at this without suffering at the  hands of guys who know how to maximize the strengths of their ride. It is along road, but it can be an exciting and fun journey, providing you don't take your defeats to heart and keep an open and enquiring mind.

If have any questions about any of this, just ask... Good luck!

Badboy  

The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
F4u vs Spit
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2000, 03:38:00 PM »
Badboy,

I can't believe you buried this post in this thread. This is way to important stuff.
Great Job!

I have a copy of a test done in 1989 by The Socioty of experamental test pilots. They are Military test pilots that do reports and symposiums to the avaiation world. Anyway in 1989 they did a modern evaluation of the
P-47D40, Fg-1D, F6F-5 and P-51D. Anyway their test were very precise to the turn rates and sustained G's. The F4U curve for sustained G's is almost an overlay of their results. I will E-mail some of the results. But it definitly shows the F4U as being a fine maneuvering A/C.

When will you show the rest of your results? Anything you can email me I would really appreciate.

Thanks
F4UDOA

Offline M.C.202

• Copper Member
F4u vs Spit
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2000, 02:45:00 PM »
F4UDOA said:

> I have a copy of a test done in 1989 by The Socioty of experamental test pilots. They are
>  Military test pilots that do reports and symposiumsto the avaiation world. Anyway in
> 1989 they did a modern evaluation of the
P-47D40, Fg-1D, F6F-5 and P-51D. Anyway their
> test were very precise to the turn rates and sustained G's. The F4U curve for sustained G's
> is almost an overlay of their results. I will E-mail some of the results. But it
> definitly shows the F4U as being a fine maneuvering A/C.

> F4UDOA

Post that hummer, or send me one! :-)

------------------
M.C.202
Dino in Reno

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
F4u vs Spit
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2000, 06:09:00 PM »
very cool.