Author Topic: F4u vs Spit  (Read 393 times)

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
F4u vs Spit
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2000, 06:22:00 PM »
BadBoy that looks very good.
When you eventually are done with collecting data for all the planes how will those data become available for us?
Will they be put up on a website where we then can select the plane types we wish to compare and then have them displayed in the same chart, or will they be gathered seperately in a file for download?

In either case I will be looking forward to study them hard  
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline Gomer

• Zinc Member
F4u vs Spit
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2000, 12:56:00 AM »
Thank you all Shedding light on the subject...  Nice post badboy..

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
F4u vs Spit
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2000, 12:49:00 PM »

Originally posted by Gomer:
Thank you all Shedding light on the subject...  Nice post badboy..

While I was considering the F4U v Spit IX comparison, I did a couple of "What if" configurations and it turns out that in what is still some way from a worst case scenario for Spit, the F4U can indeed out turn it.

Imagine, the admittedly unlikely situation where a Spitfire with 100% internal fuel meets an F4U that is down to the last 3%. The situation would be as shown below, where the F4U would have a sustained turn rate advantage over the entire envelope. In that situation, the Spitfire would get a very nasty surprise, providing the F4U driver could get the kill before running out of fuel. With only 3% that would be unlikely.

Notice that their maximum sustained turn rates are almost identical and that the Spitfire has a slight turn radius advantage. However, the slightly higher sustained turn rate of the F4U over the rest of the envelope would equalize the situation.

For practical purposes however, the differences in this overlay are too small to make any difference, other than to demonstrate that sometimes our expectations of what an aircraft should or shouldn't be able to do, can let us down.

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
F4u vs Spit
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2000, 01:03:00 PM »

Originally posted by LLv34_Snefens:
Will they be put up on a website where we then can select the plane types we wish to compare and then have them displayed in the same chart
B]

I don't know how to do that and I haven't even had time to build a web page. It's more likely that I'll just drip feed it through as I do it.  

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
F4u vs Spit
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2000, 01:08:00 PM »

Originally posted by F4UDOA:
Badboy,

I can't believe you buried this post in this thread. This is way to important stuff.
Great Job!

F4UDOA

Thanks for the kind words.

Do you know if it's possible to read these boards with an offline reader like outlook express? If it is I could probably become more active here. At the moment having to work online is a barrier.

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)