Author Topic: Why Perk Points?  (Read 152 times)

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Why Perk Points?
« on: June 16, 2001, 12:20:00 AM »
What is the intent of perk points?  I see many posts about perking planes and ideas on how to use them.  I would like to know what they are for.  

Are perk point for:

Limiting the use of better planes?

Balance the use of all planes?

Insentive for getting kills?

You get perk points for making kills.  So only the best planes are available to the best pilots.  This sounds a bit backwards.

Maybe perk point should be given to everyone at the beginning of each month and do not carry over remaining perk points the next month.

This may be a wild idea, but if we understood what they are meant to do, we could make better suggestions on how to use them.  

Thanks,

Gunner <CAF>
GunrCAF
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
Why Perk Points?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2001, 04:33:00 AM »
The perk points gives u the opportunity to fly planes that are in some way "special".

U earn em by kills, ground tgts destroyed, field captures etc.

And it doesnt mean the best pilot only gets exess to the best planes.

I.E. a field capture with a C47 that u then land safety is worth 12.5 buff perks. On the other hand if u fly a LANC vs. a couple of fighter hangars and acks, u will hardly get more than 4 points.

Also it is much easier to rack up a lot of fighter perks in the attack option than by killing airplanes.

From my point u get much more perks if u try to fly for the team and not for the kills.

And last but not least a guy in a 70 perk point tempest is actually flying much more defensive than if the same guy flies a non-perked tiffie.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Why Perk Points?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2001, 08:15:00 AM »
Gunner,

I think as it is used now, the Perk system is intended as a balancing tool. It supposedly will encourage the use of more of the entire planeset.

For example, theoretically if the Tempest were unperked everyone would fly it due to it's high capability. So all one would see in the arena is Tempests. Perk points are supposed to prevent/solve that problem.

I don't know because I've never flown a perk plane except for one trip in an Arado looking for a fleet. Two jugs dove on me an nailed me. End of perk ride.  :)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Tuomio

• Nickel Member
Why Perk Points?
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2001, 08:46:00 AM »
btw best way to evade high E attacker on arado, is to make long 3-4g turns, then dive a little, then turn again. Arado is highly aerobatic plane, and it doesent lose E like the attacker, that is following you. Critical part is the initial snapshot, which must be evaded with harsh manouvers, then you will most likely get good distance to run.

Offline Skysix1

• Zinc Member
      • http://sky610.tripod.com/skyssite/
Why Perk Points?
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2001, 04:11:00 PM »
I understand the reasoning behind trying to balance the planes in the air and allowing you a "special" ride every once in a while.  

If you fly 100+ hours a tour, which by the way just about the whole top 100 people in every area do fly 100+ a tour, then they pry do work well.  

If you fly 10-30 hours a month you will get to fly the perk planes once every 3-5 months.  That is if you want to spend them after spending so much time earning them.  

So basically if you wanna be a casual player and have a real life outside of a game you have been excluded from flying "perk" planes because you can't or don't want to stay online for 3 or more hours every day. This way the perk rides can be used for the people who stick around and play.  Not the ones who only show up and "mess around" a couple times a week.  The part timers pry shouldn't be playing here anyway.  They must not be hardcore and should be punished for it!  This system accomplishes that by not allowing them to have a "cool" plane or possible just the plane they want to fly.  Then they will leave and let the hardcore guys alone. (Hardcore guys hate getting blasted by "posers")

Offline Greg 'wmutt' Cook

• Zinc Member
      • http://home.bak.rr.com/gcook/
Why Perk Points?
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2001, 01:18:00 AM »
Good points Skysix1.  I remember when the first talk of perk points came out.  There were mentions of giving perkpoints to people for doing other things than killing. Makeing and joining missions, time in game, These things were talked about to make it possible for most everybody to get to fly perk planes every so often.  These things have yet to come about.
The result is more Quake-like gameplay.  Instead of flying like your life depends on coming home, it becomes a mad dash to see how many kills you can get.  People don't fly to live, they fly for kills.  It reduces the fun for me, because I like the historical aspect of what we have here.  We now have more game, less simulation.  I dearly hope that the perk point system gets some modification in future updates, because I feel that it does not stress near enough the importantance of staying alive. (Quake = "so what if I die, I'll just respawn.")
Preposal: No perks, if you don't land, or ditch in safe country, 1/2 perks for ditch or bail without capture, 1/4 perks for capture, nothing if you die.  Have Perks build over time, just for being there.  No perks for reseting (or not as much at least)

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
Why Perk Points?
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2001, 02:57:00 AM »
Nice sugestions Mutt, would hopefully make people try and rtb, since I am score addicted I try and rtb anyway but it's just me  ;)

What I would want to see instead of perk planes is something that WB did with the 262.
They limited the 262 to jsut a few fields, allways in the rear and allways large fields.
I can't say I saw many 262 flying around, much thanks to this system I belive.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline DmdNexus

• Silver Member
Why Perk Points?
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2001, 11:09:00 AM »
I think Perk points should be transferrable,
at least so I can sell my perk points on eBay!  

:D

Nexus

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Why Perk Points?
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2001, 11:11:00 AM »
Mutt's suggestion would make chute shooting whines through the roof!  "You bastard!!  you cost me a 10 kill perk sortie!!!"    :D  I'm all for it!!!  

Of course those who don't play for score/perkies won't care either way.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.