Author Topic: what to turn off?  (Read 1210 times)

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
what to turn off?
« on: December 22, 2008, 05:54:56 AM »
i am having a warpping problem and i know this is the million dollar queation. it is on my end but i do not know what to turn off in the back ground and what to leave running. i have searched but can not find any true answers. i have a xp series computer and have a million things running in the back ground. maybe if i knew what i had to keep that would be easier.
thanks in advnace for any helpful info.  :salute

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Re: what to turn off?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 06:37:30 AM »
There's a free program out there called FSAUTOSTART. Once it's downloaded it'll show you a list of your programs and tell you what they do and if you need each one or not. Another way is to just goggle the name of the program to find out what it's for, and if you need it or not.  :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline Wayout

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 06:55:03 AM »
I've had good luck with EnditAll.  http://www.docsdownloads.com/enditall-1.htm

First I set my 3D profile with ATI Tooltray then load my profile into the Saitek controllers and finally use EnditAll to shut everything down before running Aces High. I have Vista and have found if I don 't shut down Superfetch and ReadyBoost I'll have mini stutters in the game. 
  For most people the sky is the limit.  For a pilot the sky is home.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 07:02:58 AM »
Turning off unnecessary start-ups doesn't improve your internet connection, though it may improve your game experience. If the problem is chronic, send Skuzzy a Pingplot. You can also try powering down your modem once @ week for 30 seconds.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 07:10:05 AM by Max »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 08:27:11 AM »
A warping problem could be a resources (too many things running causes mini warps), or internet connection.

For resource issues its important to keep your computer lean and mean. When the kids were young I use to be short on money for my toys so I was staying just ahead of the games for the most part  :D I'm not sure of "End it all", but FSautostart has a feature that as you mouse over each item it lists of what you have running it try's to give you info about it and whether you should turn it off, restart it, or leave it on. Black Vipers site has a pretty good list of services and processes that YOUR computer may be running and what they do and if you should shut them down. Using FSautostat is a no brainer. The program doesn't make any changes to your system. Should you screw up and shut something off that you shouldn't, just hard boot your computer and all will be back to what it was before and you can try again.

For connection issues there isn't a lot you can do. This time of year the internet gets pretty clogged up with people doing all kinds of holiday stuff....shopping...research for presents....catching up with friends and so on. You can check your connection by getting Ping Plotter (this is the free version) install it, and then ping this address 206.16.60.38 I run the ping every few seconds for about 5 minutes. Take a screen shot of the program and post it here. If your loosing a lot of packets you'll see it on the program. If you ask nice, Skuzzy can ping back (which is a different path) to see if your having trouble on the return path.

If this problem showed up in the last couple of weeks, it most likely will disappear in the next couple of weeks once the traffic lets up.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 11:58:22 AM »
A warping problem could be a resources (too many things running causes mini warps), or internet connection.

For resource issues its important to keep your computer lean and mean. When the kids were young I use to be short on money for my toys so I was staying just ahead of the games for the most part  :D I'm not sure of "End it all", but FSautostart has a feature that as you mouse over each item it lists of what you have running it try's to give you info about it and whether you should turn it off, restart it, or leave it on. Black Vipers site has a pretty good list of services and processes that YOUR computer may be running and what they do and if you should shut them down. Using FSautostat is a no brainer. The program doesn't make any changes to your system. Should you screw up and shut something off that you shouldn't, just hard boot your computer and all will be back to what it was before and you can try again.

For connection issues there isn't a lot you can do. This time of year the internet gets pretty clogged up with people doing all kinds of holiday stuff....shopping...research for presents....catching up with friends and so on. You can check your connection by getting Ping Plotter (this is the free version) install it, and then ping this address 206.16.60.38 I run the ping every few seconds for about 5 minutes. Take a screen shot of the program and post it here. If your loosing a lot of packets you'll see it on the program. If you ask nice, Skuzzy can ping back (which is a different path) to see if your having trouble on the return path.

If this problem showed up in the last couple of weeks, it most likely will disappear in the next couple of weeks once the traffic lets up.

ditto on the Black Viper site.  Was gonna post that.

FYI FSAutoStart has been "upgraded" and is called AlacrityPC.  Link

Another usefull tool that one should be "carefull" with is HiJack This by Trend Micro  (think trend bought HJT this past year ish).

Excellent tool for getting rid of pesky start up items, browser helper objects, nasty registry "stuff" and much more.  Thing is, be CAREFULL with it.  Take the time with Go ogle to figure out what your are stopping.

30min with Google and HiJack This can do WONDERS for a computers speed.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 12:08:05 PM »
i am having a warpping problem and i know this is the million dollar queation. it is on my end but i do not know what to turn off in the back ground and what to leave running. i have searched but can not find any true answers. i have a xp series computer and have a million things running in the back ground. maybe if i knew what i had to keep that would be easier.
thanks in advnace for any helpful info.  :salute

I'll post a screen shot of what I have running.  Turn everything else off.  You should end up with something like 16 processes
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 12:08:17 PM »
THANKS TO ALL WHO RESPONDED...i will begin to try and sort this out so my warppines will go away!

thanks again

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 01:43:16 PM »
I'll post a screen shot of what I have running.  Turn everything else off.  You should end up with something like 16 processes

Unless you have all the same exact hardware and software that dedalos has DO NOT turn everything else off! Everyones computer is a bit different, so what works for one may not work for another. You can use dedalos's set-up as a gauge, but it is better if you go through your on your own. For anything your NOT sure about, type it into google and you'll get enough info to decide which way to go.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 05:21:27 PM »
Unless you have all the same exact hardware and software that dedalos has DO NOT turn everything else off! Everyones computer is a bit different, so what works for one may not work for another. You can use dedalos's set-up as a gauge, but it is better if you go through your on your own. For anything your NOT sure about, type it into google and you'll get enough info to decide which way to go.

correct.

everybody uses their computers diff. and I would take 15-20 min with you (if you were one of my "customers") talking about HOW you use your computer before I would say what should and shouldn't be turned off/on.

everything posted is merely a "guidline" only.

take the time and GOOGLE and learn before you start shutting "stuff" off.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 05:43:57 PM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 08:21:47 PM »
i am a bit slow on the computer stuff. when you say type it in google, do you mean exactly as it is in the profile list or the system it is operating for....ie...avg.spyware.exe or type into google avg spyware? again this is only a half brain diag as to my concern. i have yet to do a ping plotter due to lack of time from a christmas maniac wife and 4mo old that has more appts than i ever hope to have, but will soon hope to sit down and try these things....again thanks for the time everyone...you guys have a great community.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 11:44:33 PM »
correct.

everybody uses their computers diff. and I would take 15-20 min with you (if you were one of my "customers") talking about HOW you use your computer before I would say what should and shouldn't be turned off/on.

everything posted is merely a "guidline" only.

take the time and GOOGLE and learn before you start shutting "stuff" off.

If you want to play AH, turn everything off.  If you want to use the PC for other things either learn what to turn on when done with the game or have two logins.  One for the game with everything off and one with what you have now
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 12:19:16 AM »
i am a bit slow on the computer stuff. when you say type it in google, do you mean exactly as it is in the profile list or the system it is operating for....ie...avg.spyware.exe or type into google avg spyware? again this is only a half brain diag as to my concern. i have yet to do a ping plotter due to lack of time from a christmas maniac wife and 4mo old that has more appts than i ever hope to have, but will soon hope to sit down and try these things....again thanks for the time everyone...you guys have a great community.

For example if you use the tool I suggested, Trend Micro HiJack This, you will want to use Google to figure out what to keep and what to dump.

When you run HJT I am willing to bet you will see dozens (possibly hundreds) of things pull up.  The vast majority of which are "garbage" and should be gotten rid of.  I talked to my sister Sunday and had her d/l and run HJT with me on the phone and for her HJT pulled up 100+ things going on in the background, of which we turned off 80+ (and prob. could have done more, but it was late, over the phone, yadda yadda).

For example.

Just now I ran HiJack This and one of the things that pulled up on my computer looked like the following.

04 - HKLM\...\Run: [NvCplDaemon]RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll, NVStartup

You would google NvCpl.dll to figure out what that line "does" and if I want it running all the time.

023 - Service: Kerio Personal Firewall 4 (KPF4) - Kerio Technologies - C:\ProgramFiles\Kerio\Personal Firewall 4/kpf4ss.exe

I would google kpf4ss.exe to see what it "does" and if I want it runnign all the time.

You want to google what is on the END of the line (usually), and it is typically a .dll, or .exe etc.

You then look it up (Google), decide if you want it ALWAYS running on your computer at all times in the background, and then either check it to be turned off by HJT or leave it unchecked and HJT will leave it alone.

Many programs load "kinda" in the background when your computer starts.  So if you actually DO launch Word it will pull up a 1/2 second faster.  You do NOT need all this garbage running at all times in the background.  That is what slows/screws up systems.

You could have a dual core 3.0 ghz system with 4 gigs of ram and it wil run slow and cruddy with 100+ things all firing off in the background at all times.

What you want to do is find all the unecessary programs and eliminate them from launching untill you click them.  (Real Player, Adobe, Office, and a plethora of others you will find are actually "running" (kinda) right now on your system, even if you are just looking at the desktop and have not launched any program)

Once you have eliminated those programs from clogging up your system, you will then want to pare down all the unneeded Services.

That is what Blackviper.com is great for.

Click RUN then type Services.msc (or RIGHT click MyComputer and select MANAGE and then Services and Applications, then click SERVICES same thing) and look at all the Services running on your system.

Look at the list, read what BlackViper.com says about each service and if you need to have it running all the time, set to Manual, or Disabled.

I run a very "Clean" system and I have 13 Services Running.  You should shoot for 18-20 max.

So what I would do is...

Run HiJack This and spend the 45 min to an hour sitting there Googling everything and seeing if you need it running or not. 

THEN hit BlackViper.com and read what Services you can turn off. 

By doing those two things you will be AMAZED at the results.

(edit: and dedalos, you are indeed correct that pretty much ALL of it can be turned off when you fly AH.  That is why FSAutoStart (AlacrityPC) is a wonderfull program, as it will shut down all the garbage for you when you wanna fly, and then start it all back up when you exit AH.  Baby steps.  Let's get 'em comfortable with the subject matter THEN we wil help 'em turn their system into a lean, mean, flying machine)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 12:41:12 AM by WMLute »
— George Patton

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 04:26:28 PM »
hey guys last night i installed the fsautostart program,but the new updated version. wow what a diffrence. about a steady 55-60 fps and only a few hiccups. ran smooth as silkkkkkkkk. thanks for all the postings and info! i even got two real kills last night :rock maybe right after christmas i can sit down and spend a few hours with the other programs and clean it out....havent done much to it in the past couple of years except download garbage. but again thanks alot for a great flight experience!

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 05:16:47 PM »
I down loaded Alacrity as an update for the FSautostart. The first time through it shutdown everything and immediately started everything back up. Second time through and I couldn't load a profile into my joystick. Inadvertently had it shut down one of the Saitek programs I needed. The third time it did what it was supposed to.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs