Author Topic: Vulching in FSO  (Read 1737 times)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
Vulching in FSO
« on: December 22, 2008, 09:11:52 AM »
From what I have always gathered.  Vulching aircraft on the runway or the re-arm pad has been frowned upon in the same vein as pilots bailing over the runway and shooting up folks with their .45, and other gamey tactics.

To clarify, I am specifically talking about aircraft with gear down (wheels on tarmac), either re-arming(stopped) or taxiing to/from the runway, not planes involved in the act of landing/taking off (wheels off ground).

Could someone clarify this for me, please? (preferably a CM for a concrete answer, but will entertain the opinions of others)
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline CHAPPY

• Silver Member
Re: Vulching in FSO
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 09:30:54 AM »
70% of the plane has to be on rearm pad i think. :rock

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 09:43:46 AM »
I wouldn't do it and I doubt my squad would get the opportunity.  The only time I could see it concievably happening is if we were attacking an airbase and we found the defenders rearming.  Still they should have some cover doing so and since they would be the threat I'd go after the ones in the sky.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 09:52:40 AM »
It's been my understanding that vulching is valid - as long as it's from an airplane and not a downed pilot on the ground with his sidearm.  If a player chooses to land/rearm at a forward base that's under attack, he's taking a chance and should be ready to tower rather than lose his plane to a vulch.

The rules only stipulate that walking to a field and shooting pilots with your sidearm is forbidden - they say nothing about vulching.

- Pilots are expected to do their "fighting" from the AC or GV's that they have been assigned to by their CiC. Once you have been shot down, you should be heading to you tower. Shooting of Enemy AC with your .45 while they are on the ground is not allowed. You may be suspended for doing so.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 09:55:58 AM »
A bailed pilot will be ejected, or worse, for using his 45 on the field because he's invisible until it's too late, and there are no counter measures, so it falls into the category of griefing the event.

This is quite different from vulching, so provide cover for each other or move to a field further from the enemy.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 10:02:21 AM »
We have had Admin CM’s (the ones who design the events) state that vulching is not allowed. That is rare.

Under normal circumstances if you catch an enemy plane or planes on the field rearming I would be the first inline to dive in and get as many as possible.

Unless mentioned in the rules for a particular event Vulching in FSO is perfectly acceptable.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 11:29:55 AM »
Copy all.

Just needed a clarification.

Guess I gotta be better at covering the boss's arse in the future  :noid

Thanks all.

:salute

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 11:37:49 AM »
Bailed pilots shooting up planes on the rearm pad is banned. Basically because it is not realistic (among other reasons). A real base would be full of troops and such and a lone bailed pilot armed with a .45 would never get to the re-arm pad, it would be suicide. In AH a lone pilot can just waltz on over to it unless there is an enemy GV present that wants to take him out.

As for planes vulching other planes on the ground. Yes, except in rare cases where a CM stated a rule no vulching, it is allowed. This is why most squads do 1 or 2 things (normally both).

1) Leave a cap in place and have your pilots rearm in shifts. The CAP protects you while you are vulnerable on the ground.

2) Choose a base that is little distant from the fighting. Basically just watching the map here to see what is blinking and such and also picking a safe base that is a little bit back from the main front. Landing at a base that is right on the front lines or at base that is a designated target is usually very risky.

My squad usually does both.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 12:11:06 PM »
We were pretty far back, at a base that was not under attack (when we started landing guys to re-arm)

As the guys were going over the gate, it started flashing.  We did have cap up (to be safe), but I failed miserably, I guess  :furious

A (lone wolf) Jug came out of the clouds at 10-12K, dove the field, shot up one of our guys, and ran like hell.

Lucky SOB if ya ask me.  All the ack was up and everything.  None of us could give chase for long as we were out of fuel.  I, personally, ran out and had to glide in and (miraculously) had enough momentum to make the runway and subsequent turn to the re-arm pad without hitting anything.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 12:13:56 PM »
Nice job, that's hard to do even with the engine running.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 12:29:35 PM »
I don't think that vulching really belongs in FSO.

I can understand it occuring at an airfield that is on the list of valid targets, and I can understand it at fields where jets are landing or taking off. 

AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 12:37:14 PM »
"Vulching" was a very real part of the tactical air war. Obviously the Germans were much more at risk based on circumstance but it happened on all fronts. In fact trying to time an attack to catch planes on the ground was common. Look no farther then Midway to find the "ultimate vulch"...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 12:39:39 PM »
I don't think that vulching really belongs in FSO.

I can understand it occuring at an airfield that is on the list of valid targets, and I can understand it at fields where jets are landing or taking off. 

Interesting...
Vulching shouldn't be allowed except for killing jets?   :huh
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
Interesting...
Vulching shouldn't be allowed except for killing jets?   :huh

If I understand history correctly, that was actually a mission type to kill the jets, since they didn't have a lot of success catching them when they were at speed.

FSOs are restricted to 2 hours.. you can't really mirror all the different stages of flight status during that time.. and certainly not surprise attacks.  I just don't feel that vulching needs to be part of it either.

AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline Hamltnblue

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 03:09:10 PM »
Maybe we should do it just like WWII and just fly around the bases waiting for the enemy to come up and fight a fair fight.  :rofl :rofl

In war Vulching is the preferred method to fight the enemy.  The more enemy killed on the ground the less killing your fellow pilots.  I say shoot them with every bullet you have and drop a bomb on their carcass on the way out.  :aok