Author Topic: Vulching in FSO  (Read 1825 times)

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Re: Vulching in FSO
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 03:28:27 PM »
Maybe we should do it just like WWII and just fly around the bases waiting for the enemy to come up and fight a fair fight.  :rofl :rofl

In war Vulching is the preferred method to fight the enemy.  The more enemy killed on the ground the less killing your fellow pilots.  I say shoot them with every bullet you have and drop a bomb on their carcass on the way out.  :aok

You're still a charmer Hammy.  ;)

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 07:11:44 PM »
Lucky SOB if ya ask me.  All the ack was up and everything.  None of us could give chase for long as we were out of fuel.
That does happen. Also remember the ack is turned down in FSO. A single AC could dive in on a field, make a single straffing run, shoot up some AC on the ground, kill or damage them (so they can't reup) and run for home. Since it is turned down the two items ghostdancer mentioned are all the more important.

Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Chapel

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 07:37:50 PM »
I look at it this way....

If you fail to leave CAP above the field you choose to rearm at, or choose a field closer to the frontlines, you're putting yourself at risk.
Now the main reason you're doing so, is to gain an advantage over the enemy, in that you don't have to fly as far to rearm, and thus enter the fight that much quicker.

I see absolutely NO reason whatsoever to not attack aircraft on the ground if they've chosen to not take precautions to prevent such an attack. You're taking a risk, to gain something. If you are willing to take that risk, you need to accept the consequences.
Rolling Thunder

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2008, 08:46:16 PM »
If there were no planes flying cap for the guys rearmers, It'd be smart to vultch them
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline ELD66

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 12:04:46 AM »
It might be a risk if the ack wasnt less then half of what it is in the MA.

A cap is useless unless there is 6 or so capping for 1 or 2 on the ground. And small squads are screwed entirely. Alot of the time you cant count on an friendly squad because they almost always have there own orders and agenda's.

This is not real war. It is a game in which dog fighting rules supreme above all else. If you take away the dogfight then you take away most of the fun and excitement on which this game is built.

It may just be the ravings of a lunatic. But that is my humble opinion.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 12:35:44 AM by ELD66 »
E1Diablo in game

Member of JG11 Sonderstaffel

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 09:07:14 AM »
This is not real war, but in Aces High it's as close as it gets. If you land at a field on the edge of battle and expect the enemies to simply fly by and wave then it's easy to see who's at fault. I would believe that MOST squads in the FSO practice some form of CAP cover with any number of fighters in order to re-arm during the FSO.

One point that has been made several times is that re-arming further away from the front lessens the chance of being strafed. However, it's not guaranteed. Fighter sweeps sometimes go real deep into enemy territory to shoot down opposition so that the bombers can make their way to the target. On the way home, that same sweep may elect to drop down to 15k and look around for the ones coming home. If they're on the tarmac, I don't see why they can't shell them and prevent any further threats.

I believe a lot of us have fallen victim to the "vulch" in the FSO (I have, several times) but to discredit those who take the opportunity is unnecessary. It was a tactic used the WWII and the FSO is supposed to be as real as it gets.
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2008, 09:16:22 AM »
This is not real war, but in Aces High it's as close as it gets.

Hahahahhaha, sorry but no.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 09:41:48 AM »
EDIT: Nevermind, not really one for feeding trolls.  :aok
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 10:08:24 AM by Qrsu »
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2008, 09:57:19 AM »
This is not real war. It is a game in which dog fighting rules supreme above all else. If you take away the dogfight then you take away most of the fun and excitement on which this game is built.
I agree with the principle as it pertains to the MA, but this is a special events...event  :D

The purpose (as I like to think of it) of the FSO is for [mostly] historical battles with squad tactics and coordinated battleplans.  This in and of itself requires some degree of dogfighting, but it isn't always "supreme above all else".  Just one pilot's opinion.  :)

If the purpose is to win the frame for your side, then vulching is completely valid if the opportunity presents itself.  As has been said before, re-arming at a forward base is (and should be) a risky endevour.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Kuhn

• Silver Member
      • Canvasman
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2008, 10:26:42 AM »
I agree with the principle as it pertains to the MA, but this is a special events...event  :D

The purpose (as I like to think of it) of the FSO is for [mostly] historical battles with squad tactics and coordinated battleplans.  This in and of itself requires some degree of dogfighting, but it isn't always "supreme above all else".  Just one pilot's opinion.  :)

If the purpose is to win the frame for your side, then vulching is completely valid if the opportunity presents itself.  As has been said before, re-arming at a forward base is (and should be) a risky endevour.

Yup.  :D
325th Checkertails

Offline lowZX14

• Silver Member
      • Home of the 325th Checkertails VFG
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2008, 12:53:08 PM »
Kuhn should know, he lost his 262 like that in Frame 1 didn't ya buddy?  And what lesson did we learn?  Fly far far away to rearm.  :devil
lowZX14
325th Checkertails VFG
www.325thcheckertailsvfg.com

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »
My squad always has the green light for vulching. We just regulate it by not counting vulches towards internal awards.*

* Some exceptions may apply.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2008, 01:13:44 PM »
How many squads find themselves in a position to vulch in FSO?  I can't remember ever having the chance.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2008, 01:26:24 PM »
In a recent 8th Air Force event, I was flying a Fw 190A5 and had my engine oil shot out. I made it all the way to the runway, broke my gear off and skidded to a halt on the runway.

As soon as my engine died, I could hear an engine behind me. A Typhoon had been following me and strafed me as soon as I came to stop.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2008, 02:56:27 PM »
As soon as my engine died, I could hear an engine behind me. A Typhoon had been following me and strafed me as soon as I came to stop.
Which is why (even under normal circumstances), I usually have the text buffer up and .ef already typed in as my gear touches the ground.  Then all I do is hit Enter as soon as I'm stopped and don't waste time getting to the tower.  :D
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals