Author Topic: Having Trouble. More ways than one.  (Read 1831 times)

Offline Alpha202

• Zinc Member
Having Trouble. More ways than one.
« on: December 23, 2008, 05:21:21 AM »
Well, I can't stall this any more, I'm having multiple issues  :frown:.

1. Aircraft I want to stick to, I just cant Choose. They all look so good to me
I Usually want to learn:
P47 (any Variant)
F4U(any Variant)
Ki-84
Yak(Both)
109(F4, G6 or K4)
Mosquito
(If there's another aircraft you have recommendations for please share)

2.The Problem:
I need Pointers on what To Choose
Things To Avoid In them
Strong Points (I.e Climb Turn)
ACM
Convergence
And Avoiding stalls.

3.BnZing Im Not Good at this at all and usually End up were I don want to be.

4.Gvs
Also I tend To Stay out Of GVs But If I'm In one what should I choose and why,
as well  as what to avoid in them (Repetitive, I know)

Any Info Is appreciated, I'm just a rookie pilot wanting to get better, If at all possible keep personal Criticism to a minimum
Thank you.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Re: Having Trouble. More ways than one.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 06:29:25 AM »
A good place to start is netaces.org.  Check it out.

The jug (p47s) place set is a favorite of mine for several reasons. 1st of all 8 .50 cals is a beautiful thing :D Awesome attack aircraft and real good fighter if you fly it right. IMO the P47-D11 is the best dogfighter because it turns the best, and you can really rack up the kills and perk points with it.The best all around IMO is the P47-D40 because of it's perk value 20eny, which means eny will very rarely affect you being able to up it, and the ord loadout is as good as it gets with 2500lbs of bombs and 10 rockets. The P47N is the fastest and gets the best fuel mileage. The P47-D25 is also good too. It compares to the D11. Convergence is a matter of preference and how you'll use the plane. For attack runs I.E. strafing ack guns and strats, I like the convergence out to 600-650. I'll fire at these targets from 1000 out. For dogfighting I bring the convergence in to 250 and not fire on targets until within 400 and closer. The jugs are stable, very forgiving and tough. Although they do feel heavy and sluggish down low. Keep em' high, keep em' fast. Cockpit views are great in the 40 & N models, so that's a plus for good SA.

The F4Us....although I don't fly them much I have to say that they are probably the best "overall" plane in the game. Ord loadout varies widely from 1 bomb to 2 bombs and 8 rockets. The F4U-4 is IMO the best plane in the game right now. Super fast and the higher it goes, the better it gets. They're harder to land and rearm because the landing gear is more narrow then alot of the other american planes. It's very easy to break the gear on landing..atleast for me anyway. I don't like the cockpit views and that's the only reason I don't fly them. All of them turn very well and are hard to beat in a fight.

The other planes I don't fly for they're not american iron and I tend to lend that way.

As far as avoiding stalls, listen to your stall buzzer and learn the "feel" of the aircraft. The trick in a close turning dogfight is to keep your aircraft at the edge of a stall and put it in one when the time is right to gain angles on your opponent. Pulling a plane out of a stall is done stick and rudder. That's something you'll just have to learn depending on the plane you go with. Some planes like the P40s, you won't pull out of a stall unless you have altitude to work with.

Anyway, that's my take on the jugs and F4Us.  :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 07:26:31 AM »
Have you been out to the Trainers Site ? They have some great information ready for the "rookie pilots wanting to get better". There is also a great link there to get to Soda's Aircraft Evaluations where he takes each plane and points out tips on how to fly it, and how to fight against it.

One last thing, spending 1 hour with a trainer is about the same as spending 15-20 hours getting your butt handed to you in the main arenas when it comes to learning. Do your self a favor, hook up with a trainer. Welcome to Aces High ! <S>

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 08:41:44 AM »
None of the planes you've chosen are really beginners planes.  If you're new you're going to have a hard enough time learning ACM much less the subtleties of flap, throttle and rudder use required in some of the models you've chosen.  That's not to say you can't get there; it's just going to be a longer harder road.  Of the planes you've picked I'd stick with the 109F-4 for a while.  It's the most forgiving of the group and will provide the best platform for getting comfortable with ACM.

As to GV's, for now use a Panzer for ground attack and a Wirblewind for anti-air work.

Other than that follow Fugatives advice above.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 08:45:33 AM »
If you're having trouble figuring out what plane to learn, one deciding factor can be your style. You say you have trouble in the BnZ so I'm assuming you have had more success mixing it up in turn fights. I would think trying to learn the P-47 would be slightly harder due to it being a pure E-fighter (at least at the altitudes fought in the MA). Not saying you CAN'T turn with it, it just doesn't have a great zoom ability and basically you have to fight downhill with it most of the time.

On that list, I would highly recommend learning the Ki-84 and 109. Both have fairly rounded abilities. The Ki-84 is deadly in a slower turn fight but is also fairly quick and climbs well too. The 109 (all of its varients) are pretty good knife fighters and have the ability to BnZ fairly well. The only issue with the 109 is compression in a dive, you really don't want to come in faster than about 400mph or you may lose control. But the 109 family has one great advantage over most aircraft and that is it's climbing ability. If you can learn to use that advantage in a fight you'll learn to love it. The 109 in general has some really nice varients. I'm in the process of learning the 109 myself (mainly the G-2 and G-14) and I'm enjoying it thoroughly.

Good luck!
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 09:47:49 AM »
I would say learn the Ki first. Then 109
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 09:53:03 AM »
I agree with fud.  Ki-84 probably the easiest of that bunch, followed by the 109 F.  Lately I've been having a BLAST with the 109 K though :D

Offline Alpha202

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 09:57:19 AM »
I Do appreciate all of the Tips. There is one thing However, I'm Not Brand New, I've Been Here For An OK (But not enough as it seems) Amount Of Time, Enough To get A Few Kills on Luck, and Unaware Enemies, But I do want to have more than reliance on Luck and Surprise.I Am still a Rookie, Maybe a slow learner perhaps. I'm Sorry if I mislead you to thinking Ive Only Just arrived.

I will Look into The evaluation Page As You've stated and the Trainers page.

I've Done Mostly TnB (Such as the zero) But that is no use for any High speed and acceleration aircraft(as I seem to Get Burned every Time)

I Seem To have Ranging issues( To narrow it down to a Better Point) In GVs If there are any Tips on that.

:salute And Thank you For the assistance.

Offline iTunes

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 09:59:49 AM »
Depending on how experienced you are, you may wish to consider the option of grabbing a spitfire and dtaying in the horde for safety till you have learned the basics, otherwise, you'll get isolated and then shot down, this can have a negative effect on confidence, so like I said earlier, stay with the pack, learn the basics and never fly alone. Once you have a grasp of what's going on then you'll know what type of plane you want to fly as you will have come up against them while in the spit,
The Class Acts.
JG54 Grunherz
iTunes- UK's finest killer of ack huggers and runners, mixing business with girls and thrills.
JG54/ Manchester United- Nobody likes us-we don't care... Goes by the name of Wayne rooney http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW-47c_8J4c

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 10:03:26 AM »
if not in a squad join one it will help. 353rd has 3 Canadians so if interested go to www.slybirds.com

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 10:06:27 AM »
As far as GV range is concerned, its really a matter of practice.  Use your aiming lines to "walk" your rounds longer or shorter as needed, until you've got distance narrowed down.  For me, it helps to actually talk to myself out loud when I'm ranging a GV.  For example, "2400 was too short, try 2800.  2800 just long, kick back to 2700"  By walking myself through the ranging process out loud, I seem to have better luck with it.  That being said, my roomates think I'm crazy   :rolleyes:

Also keep in mind if there are friendlies around, don't be afraid to ask "what range do you have to X target"  Then add or subtract the amount of difference in distance and take a shot.   :aok

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 10:46:38 AM »
Depending on how experienced you are, you may wish to consider the option of grabbing a spitfire and dtaying in the horde for safety till you have learned the basics, otherwise, you'll get isolated and then shot down, this can have a negative effect on confidence, so like I said earlier, stay with the pack, learn the basics and never fly alone. Once you have a grasp of what's going on then you'll know what type of plane you want to fly as you will have come up against them while in the spit,

I totally disagree with this!!  this will only teach you to be timid, and having to depend on the crowd for your safety,
screw that, that IS NOT how you should learn,read every thing you can about every plane, not how it was in history but how it is here in AH, history does not match up. also as some others have said, seek out a trainer, from what I hear there are some very good trainershere in AH. once you have done those take up,-
LA7 or 5, Both are very good turners and you can chase down those that run(most of them)
 N1k or Ki-84
Yaks are great little planes just low ammo and fuel.
of course there is the HurriMK2C,(my favorite) you wont run from anyone but the cannons are very deadly, and you can out turn pretty much every thing else. in the right hands its extremely dangerous and fully capable of taking on the hourde with some ALT, backing you. set your convergence short, say around 300, fire at that distance and you will be amazed at how quickly planes explode.
  then go into the main Arena, STAY AWAY from the friendly hourde, and fly towards a red dar, this will, as time goes by very much improve your SA, Merge tactics, you will learn to depend on your self to chk your 6, not others.
 remember ALT is your friend, take off from a base NOT under attack,(until you are ready for that)
DONT worry about dying there are nice new shinny planes in the Hanger just for you.

most importantly fly the way that fits you, don't worry about those that whine or complain about how you fly, enjoy yourself and have fun.

JETSOM

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 10:55:27 AM »
None of the planes you've chosen are really beginners planes.  If you're new you're going to have a hard enough time learning ACM much less the subtleties of flap, throttle and rudder use required in some of the models you've chosen.  That's not to say you can't get there; it's just going to be a longer harder road.  Of the planes you've picked I'd stick with the 109F-4 for a while.  It's the most forgiving of the group and will provide the best platform for getting comfortable with ACM.

Couldnt agree more, 109F is one of the best planes in the game to cut your teeth on...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 10:56:29 AM »
I would say learn the Ki first. Then 109
Agreed with that, that would be my first choice. Personally, after you learn how to fly the KI-84, the next best plane is a P-38, which realy, is what a KI-84 is. Only thing wrong with a KI, is that it has a very short WEP, last only 2 mins or so. It turns very well, and has a pretty good climb. Its a dangerous plane to fly against.

109s are a tough planes to fly. It takes a lot of ACM to get things done, and its hard to get good ACM, with hard cockpit to see out of. The G6, my personal favorite, is a mid plane in all of the mix of 109s. It has pretty good turn, if you know how to use it. It has good climb, and can almost beat spits at their own game. If you are to try the 109s out, I would go with the 109F-4, it turns as good as the spit, and has the same climb.
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 10:56:41 AM »
Have you been out to the Trainers Site ? They have some great information ready for the "rookie pilots wanting to get better". There is also a great link there to get to Soda's Aircraft Evaluations where he takes each plane and points out tips on how to fly it, and how to fight against it.

One last thing, spending 1 hour with a trainer is about the same as spending 15-20 hours getting your butt handed to you in the main arenas when it comes to learning. Do your self a favor, hook up with a trainer. Welcome to Aces High ! <S>

I'd go even further, a good 5 hour foundation with a trainer will make a huge difference....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson