Author Topic: bombing with the AR234  (Read 650 times)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
bombing with the AR234
« on: December 23, 2008, 05:31:07 AM »
How do you bomb accurately bomb with these things. I calibrate just like I do in all the other bombers and always miss the target by a mile. Is there a training write-up on the subject somewhere?

Also, I'll like to find the training write-up on the method of dropping torpedoes. I read over that a year or so ago, but forgot where I found it, and would like to see it again.  :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: bombing with the AR234
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 05:47:34 AM »
exactly the same as normal buffs.

Make sure you change from ratos back to bombs when they have been used.

Only problem is they so dam fast you need to calibrate at the right time.  I use them to kill cv's quickly. 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 09:04:04 AM »
Provided that you have switched back to bombs and no longer have the ratos selected, your problem is that you're still accelerating as you calibrate.  You need to level off long before you reach target in 234 to have a constant speed at full throttle.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 09:06:34 AM »
I fly them almost exclusively for bombing (primarily strats).  The problem is that once level the 234's continue to gain speed for about 3-4 sectors.  I plan on reaching my drop alt and being level on my approach path four sectors from the target.  Two sectors from the target I start to calibrate. 

Calibration is more finicky in the 234's than almost any other bomber and I often have to keep recalibrating for almost a sector until I get it right.  Make sure you keep E6B open and calibrate for 3-4 mph faster than you are going.  In my case I usually fly to 16,500 feet, begin calibration at 412 mph and hit 415-416 mph at target.  Those speeds and that spread will change with altitude.  If you have to err then err on the side of calibrating too slow.  You can always work throttle to slow down but you can't always gain more speed when needed.  Also, if you're not 100% sure the alignment of your target you might want to allow for scrubbing off 2-3 mph as you rudder into taget alignment.

Even after this you will gain not only the 3-4 mph but also about 2-3 feet in alt before reaching the target.  Use your zoom, salvo 1 and 0.05 sec. delay.

All of these things are more critcal in the 234 than in any other bomber due to it's high speed.

Good luck.  I love the 234.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
As many others have already said. Early calibration and watching E6B to ensure that you are level and not increaasing in speed is essential. The biggest mistake I make is forgetting to switch from RATO's to bombs, so watch this too.

The answer to your second question is yes there is a write up on torpedo attacks and here is the link to it. There is also films showing the different angles of attack for the different aircraft.

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/torpedoes/torpedoes.htm

This is a great write-up and group of films. I have used this and had success offline. I wouldn't say that I am profecient with it though, but I could be if I took the time to practice it. After watching the films and reading the write-up I was able to hit the CV with the 4-5th attempt, again offline.

enjoy
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:47:30 AM by dkff49 »
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 09:50:54 AM »
Yea, the other option is to throttle back if you over-calibrate on speed.  Not sure why people are so averse to this, but its generally necessary given you have less than 3 sectors of level flight with which to calibrate :)

Then you want to pop your E6B and LEAVE IT UP before escaping out to check alignment.  Then pop back and forth between E6B and bomb sight until your right over target, adjusting throttle as needed.

Bombs away...bye bye mr CV :)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 06:54:09 AM »
Fly very low, and very fast, easiest is to come into the TA and watch the green X bomb impact point.

From external view it isn't hard to learn when to drop at all.

If below 400 feet you might want to pull up after drop as your bomb blast can blow your tail off.

You might keep your eyes open for Baumer, he's got the whole low alt, fast bomb drop thing down to a science.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 09:34:06 AM »
Yeah I agree. I think the 234 was a fascinating addition to the game. There are only a few experts with it," no I'm not one but I do like occasionally taking one out".

Lately Ive been upping one to take out a VH thats a long ways off but whose spawn is giving us fits. Just giving us 15 mins to regroup can often save the day. I like to leave my RATOs on for emergencies. I pull flaps up all the way on the runway, step hard on brakes as I go to full throttle "to get RPMs up", then run the Jet down the runway on auto-takeoff. Right at 100 mph I take control. And right at the end of the runway I drop 1 flap, pull up, and bring gear up at the same time. Then I fly till I get some air under me, set a shallow auto-climb, and raise the flap.

Leaving RATOs on has saved my bacon more then once. There are a lot of great divers that can give you a problem if you come into a target with them having a lot of Alt. on you. Most of all if you lose one engine.

Just a fun airplane. All around and with a fascinating history. :salute
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline 442w30

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 09:50:20 AM »
Another use for the 234 is to take out radars. It is a piece of cake to remove the radars at three bases on one sortie. 

I tend to stay around 10k.  To shorten the distance it takes to stabilize speed, I use several things.  I keep the climbing speed high at about 250 IAS so it has less acceleration to do later.  Then I climb to about 10,500 and when lined up on the target I go into a very shallow dive of ~-200-300 fpm.  Get the speed up to 411-412 and level out.  Check E6B and when the climb rate is 0 or 1, I will calibrate.  I can calibrate effectively in about a sector and a half from the target.

BE's advice about accounting for 2-3 mph for rudder movement is important. It seems like the 234 scrubs off that much if you even consider using the rudder. 
Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

"The plural of anecdote is no data."- statistician's axiom

Offline Steel

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 10:19:43 AM »
Dont calibrate at full throttle.....you can calibrate in 30 seconds that way.

A few mph off? Throttle up/down briefly and your done.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2008, 10:08:04 AM »
Thanks for the input fellas. I took it out for a flight yesterday, leveled at 3K and chopped throttle back to 75%. When I had a somewhat steady speed I began calibration (sector from target), and sure enough I hit my targets dead on! Field ack got a engine oil but i did manage to get her back home with a safe landing. I think I'll finally start using some bomber perks  :lol :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2008, 06:13:51 PM »
I flew the 234 solely for 3 tours at one time. Got plenty of A2A kills and GV kills alike. I love tooling around with guys, chopping throttle thus thinking they're going to get a "free kill" and either blasting them with the oscar guns or overshooting and starting to turn with them.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com