Author Topic: P-47 Gun Loadout vs. Maneuverability  (Read 2268 times)

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
Re: P-47 Gun Loadout vs. Maneuverability
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2009, 12:07:56 AM »
Hello,

For you P47 pilots having tried just using the 6 x 50 cals rather than the 8.  Have you found any noticeable difference in maneuverability when using the 6 x 50s with minimal ammo load vs 8 50s?

Thanks,

WT
I notice a lot more climb when I use the 8 .50s with 267 per gun.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2009, 11:57:36 AM »
Figured i'd comment on this. In my humble opinion, and since my main ride for the last 3 years has been the 47N - I never saw any point to taking a reduced ammo load or gun setup. What I did instead was something that does not happen often - I planned ahead. Crazy as it sounds - 50% and a drop tank, WEP'n up to 8k, engine cool down to 12k, going level and having full power available to me by the time I get to the area of operations. Got plenty of speed - center drop tank is nearly dry - dump that when I commit to the fight, and return to base 40 minutes later.

Must've been doing something right - 8-10 kills per sortie were not unusual at least for me. But I also had my convergence on the inside set to 475 and 425 on the outside with no tracers - so the extra ammo might've been used as much for killing as it was for ranging shots. But I figure by the time the guy knows he is under attack, i've already saw'd something off anyway.

Life is funny that way. Anyhow, carry on.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2009, 04:39:30 PM »
there is a noticeable and worth while gain in going with the light 8 gun pack..  I only take the heavy is on rare occasions where there is a mass bomber riad or something where I may actually need that much ammo

the light 8 gun pack is still well over 2,000 rounds...  if you need more than that, .. well you don't need more than that.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2009, 04:43:44 PM »
Wolfala is probably the only person I know of, other than some of the 56th FG alumni like Yucca or Blukitty, that can make good use of the 400 round/gun loadout.  If you're landing 10 or 12 per sortie, you need that many rounds. 

For us mortals on the other hand, we'll never need that much ammo.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2009, 05:31:40 PM »
Wolfala is probably the only person I know of, other than some of the 56th FG alumni like Yucca or Blukitty, that can make good use of the 400 round/gun loadout.  If you're landing 10 or 12 per sortie, you need that many rounds. 

I need that much ammo becuase I'm a poor shot! (I also never use wep on N, save for fighting, or preparing to fight (or running like girl on deck with lgays, yaks, k4's in tow)...plane is such less useful without it
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2009, 06:03:31 PM »

I think the most ive LANDED in the jug was 9, and that was when I busted a 110 raid, I made it home somewhere around 200 rounds total remaining..

so yea, if you expect to shoot down 10+ different aircraft in 1 sortie.. then the 400/gun load is warranted.. the other 99.9% of the time, it is not.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
Ya have to ALWAYS expect that! Hope springs eternal
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2009, 12:52:12 AM »
I ran into a nit B-24 mission a week ago in the P-47N and shot down 10 of them.  3 were in succession during a head on pass through the bomber stream.  Take the big gun package.  Big firepower and truckloads of ammo are the P-47's strength.  If you're going to take less you may as well be in a P-51.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2009, 09:35:06 AM »
I ran into a nit B-24 mission a week ago in the P-47N and shot down 10 of them.  3 were in succession during a head on pass through the bomber stream.  Take the big gun package.  Big firepower and truckloads of ammo are the P-47's strength.  If you're going to take less you may as well be in a P-51.

You can guess how these ended.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2009, 03:47:06 AM »
Why take less ammo when you can go light by throwing it at the red icons? Take the heavy load and be trigger happy till you are down to about 1000 on the counters. Now you have the reduced load and you can start aiming. Hose 'em down I say.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2009, 03:22:37 PM »
Think of it this way... with all the E you *should* have and the tactics that *should* be being used, the extra bit of ammo is only going to do you GOOD.  You will be able to stay in the air longer and take down more targets.  And remember... your plane gets lighter as you use up ammo and fuel.  The only thing that doesnt get lighter is the weight of the plane and the weight of the guns.  I'd rather go up, have the extra fuel, have the extra ammo, and not need it than to need it and not have it. 

Oh... and the "gaming the game" tactic of taking %50 fuel and DT is for flash-bangers who think they have to have the few extra less poundage to get an extra kill or two.  Silly kids.   :rolleyes:
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2009, 07:10:24 PM »
For the record-

If you choose the 6 gun heavy loadout, you might as well take the 8 gun light.  There's barely any differene. 

HOWEVER

A p47D-11 at 25% gas, with the 6 gun light option is damn near a spitfire.  It's a COMPLETELY different monster. 

You throw the P47D-40 at that loadout and suddently you've got a jug that'll challenge a P-38 in vertical maneuvering- no lie. 

So.... what does this mean? 

If you're upping for a short range base defense furball twisty-turny-hair-on-fire thing, take the 6 shooter light.  It's a LOT of fun. 

If, however you're going to do what the Jug was meant to do (either sweep the skies clean from enemy fighters from a position of advantage, or flatten the nearest small metro with your ordanance), take the 8 guns.  it's what driving a Jug is all about :) 

8 Gun heavy I've found useful for bomber intercepts/hunts.  Normally, however, I'm on the 8 gun light or the 6 gun light.
"You rebel scum"

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2009, 07:59:37 PM »
Have landed 15 scalps before with light 8 fifties in D40, no need for more ammo ;) For the record, I ALWAYS take 75 and DT in my D11 or D40, drop the DT once at target, and immediately switch to the main fuel, incase the main gets hit ( which happens alot), you'll have a small reserve in the aux. :aok
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 08:01:47 PM by TonyJoey »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2009, 07:36:19 PM »
A p47D-11 at 25% gas, with the 6 gun light option is damn near a spitfire.  It's a COMPLETELY different monster. 

You throw the P47D-40 at that loadout and suddently you've got a jug that'll challenge a P-38 in vertical maneuvering- no lie. 

So.... what does this mean? 

It means you took off with only 7 minutes of fuel (NOT counting WEP), and of those you'll spend 5 minutes taking off and getting to the fight, meaning you get 1 pass to HO all you want then you're dead stick.

In THAT case it doesn't matter WHICH weapons loadout you choose, you won't get to run out of ammo because you'll run out of gas before you get your first combat.

Offline Nightshift82

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2009, 07:42:24 PM »
jugs rule
Night5  
First tour: 55  (If anyone cares.......)