Author Topic: Called Police 2nd time in a week  (Read 3936 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Called Police 2nd time in a week
« on: December 28, 2008, 10:55:31 AM »
Just called the police for the 2nd time this week. Earlier some one tried to break into my garage. I noticed the light was on and it shouldn't have been. Then today just about 30 minutes ago a pickup pulls up and parks by my house. I think I have guests so I throw some clothes on but no one knocks on the door. So I think maybe they are looking at my neighbors house that is abandoned. I step outside and it's a bunch of teenagers trying to break into my neighbors house. They see me and run. I got there license plates # and gave that to the police. However I think it's a stolen dealers plate that they probably ripped off immediately. Geeze, I am thinking seriously about getting a handgun for the first time in my life.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Re: Called Police 2nd time in a week
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 11:03:05 AM »
If you've never owned/used a handgun that is probably not the preferred defense weapon for you.  While certainly not a lost investment it will not provide you the proficiency on the front end that a short (legal minimum) barreled shotgun will.  You can purchase a quality pump 12 gauge shotgun for a few hundred bucks and load it with buckshot.  You now have a forgiving weapon that will allow you to defend your castle (remember that phrase when researching your applicable gun laws) that will not require the time and effort to achieve and maintain a level of proficiency a first handgun will require.

We had kids breaking into barns/sheds and had our tractor stolen when I was in high school.  The advice the Sheriffs left with us was if we needed to shoot someone to make sure that you killed them.  Don't shoot at anyone to scare them, "wing" them or anything but end their life.  Doing either of the former opens up many more problems than anything it would ever solve.

Stay safe.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 11:12:09 AM »
I worked security for a while and had to get a gun permit. Also I had to qualify with a hand gun. I told them I had never owned one. However I scored really high on the test shooting with both hands. I think that comes from my squirrel hunting days with open sights.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 11:46:59 AM »
Just called the police for the 2nd time this week. Earlier some one tried to break into my garage. I noticed the light was on and it shouldn't have been. Then today just about 30 minutes ago a pickup pulls up and parks by my house. I think I have guests so I throw some clothes on but no one knocks on the door. So I think maybe they are looking at my neighbors house that is abandoned. I step outside and it's a bunch of teenagers trying to break into my neighbors house. They see me and run. I got there license plates # and gave that to the police. However I think it's a stolen dealers plate that they probably ripped off immediately. Geeze, I am thinking seriously about getting a handgun for the first time in my life.
Get a 12 gauge or 10 gauge shotgun with goose shot or buck shot in it.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline smkelly13

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 11:52:36 AM »
Depending on the state you live in, and the laws regarding "self-defense" I wouldn't recommend buying a handgun to defend against a intruder.  They've (legal system) have made it virtually impossible to do this anymore, watch the movie Felon.  I've had experience with my apartment being broken into, and decided to get a security system, and a nice door wedge (fits under the door knob).  

I used to be in the United States Marine Corps. and have been trained with both armed and unarmed combat, but, I have enough common sense and legal smarts to know that with my training, and the way that the law is in favor of the criminal, my rear end would be in hotter water than the person breaking into my home.  Sometimes, using your brain instead of your brawn is the ideal path to explore.  As much as I'd like to say bash their brains in, I wouldn't want to put that machoistic mentality into someone only to see them get the cuffs thrown on them in the end.

Continue calling the police, lock your windows and doors, install deadbolts and a security system in your garage and home, and talk to your neighbors about suspicious individuals lurking around in the neighborhood. Living in constant fear of your personal belongings being stolen is horrible, and no one should have to experience it, but it's something that unfortunately happens to millions of people every year, possibly, every day.  You'll get through this.

I worked security for a while and had to get a gun permit. Also I had to qualify with a hand gun. I told them I had never owned one. However I scored really high on the test shooting with both hands. I think that comes from my squirrel hunting days with open sights.
That's nice and all, but until the day you've taken human life, you'll never be able to honestly say that you'd be able to do so.  Firing a warning shot could prove to be just as effective as shooting one of the punks, just make sure you shoot in a safe area.  Better yet, load a few blanks, so no worries about a round getting discharged and hitting someone a 1/4 mile down the road.

Like I said, use your head, and you'll get through this unphased.  Keep calling the 5-0, use your tax dollars to the full exent.
forecast for tonight is alcohol, low standards and poor decisions
-
Soon you will be able to buy a GM product imported from China at a Wal Mart Super Center.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 12:00:57 PM »

There's a big differance between being at the range, take aim for 30 secs and hit close from the bulleyes at 20y and being under stress being someone is in your living room, and shooting at someone without having a chance to aim while your hand is all shaky. Most in this board will tell you they are cool hand luke John Wayne all in one, but don't fool yourself. Just go to the range, rent a 45, put a target at 25y, lower ur gun toward the ground, then raise it and shoot 4 shots without using the iron sight as fast as you can, and see how well you did. Big diff.

At any rate, shooting someone in self defense, even an armed guy who broke into your home is going to start a snowbolling series of events in your life that will probably made you wish u'd let the guy run away with your TV. :uhoh
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 12:03:22 PM by SFRT - Frenchy »
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 12:01:52 PM »
Get you some white chaulk and draw a outline of a body on the ground in front of the garage :aok
Lighten up Francis

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 12:12:33 PM »
At any rate, shooting someone in self defense, even an armed guy who broke into your home is going to start a snowbolling series of events in your life that will probably made you wish u'd let the guy run away with your TV.

"Armed guy"? "snowbolling series of events"?

Like the guy killing you?
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 12:18:18 PM »
What you think will happen once you have a dead body in your house? You call the police, they knock at your door, pat you in the back, and you all go have a beer? Meanwhile, the parents and friends of mister scary realize how evil their loved one was, and decide to volonteer to the Salvation Army?
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 12:22:10 PM »
What you think will happen once you have a dead body in your house? You call the police, they knock at your door, pat you in the back, and you all go have a beer? Meanwhile, the parents and friends of mister scary realize how evil their loved one was, and decide to volonteer to the Salvation Army?

Being that I am a Policeman Frenchy I think I have a pretty good idea about what would happen.

Trust me, anything that "could" happen is a whole lot better then you being the dead body in your house.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 12:39:10 PM »
Frankly, I don't want to kill anyone. If you could see the look on one of those guys faces, like he was making a decision. It was scary and I was concerned for my life. To take some ones life for stealing a radio, power tool or about anything material is unwarranted. However, I sure don't want to be a statistic. As of right now I am installing some security devices and tomorrow I am putting up a 6 ft fence or at least starting one. Then I am getting another dog. Someone stole my sweet Amadeus. I think it was the neighbors who abandoned the house next to me.

I couldn't believe the gull of these guys showing up in daylight. They would have had to be casing the place. I heard a vehicle very early this morning. I looked out the window but couldn't see it. I bet they were in my driveway with their lights out. When I heard this truck I recognized the sound from this morning.

Anyway, I am taking some security measures. Best get started.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 12:45:44 PM »
I had the same problem a while back, punks ripping off my garage, and I bought a video seurity system.  Haven't gotten any action on it yet, but I'm sure I will next summer.  I'm able to monitor it while at work, during the work day is when most of the breakins occured, so the po po's are just a phone call away.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Buzzard7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 12:48:36 PM »
Move to Colorado. We have the "Make my day" law. Some people call it the castle law. Fairly cut and dried with its function and use.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 12:51:04 PM »
I had the same problem a while back, punks ripping off my garage, and I bought a video seurity system.  Haven't gotten any action on it yet, but I'm sure I will next summer.  I'm able to monitor it while at work, during the work day is when most of the breakins occured, so the po po's are just a phone call away.

Which one do you have? Been thinking about that for some time.

Offline CAVPFCDD

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2008, 12:51:20 PM »
if you have ever seen "it takes a theif" on discovery there are alot of easy cheap solutions to tighten up security around the house. Locks and bars and things.

I've had neighbors houses broken into and I went into hysteria mode and got a gun, but like some else said you can't just live in fear, so the cheaper easier solution that helps you sleep soundly is to beef up your security measures so your can keep them out instead of waiting them to come in so you can use your gun.

And as someone else said gun laws vary, and how you can use them. I know in florida I am fully authorized to shoot and kill someone if they are breaking into my home and I feel my life is in danger, however as others said I don't think i could A. ever kill anyone and B. In the heat of the moment be able to even aim properly. So the gun is more or less an intimidation measure, plus i got a cop next door who has an arsenal in his house  :devil

just fix up all the possible ways they can get in and check out "it takes a theif" im sure they have a website with tips.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace." - Duane Allman

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." Jerry Garcia