Author Topic: Camo not being able to be used well  (Read 358 times)

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
Camo not being able to be used well
« on: December 28, 2008, 06:07:09 PM »
with all these camos for armor and even planes, ive only seen a few that fit well with our MA terrain. the la5fn has one, the yak9u has another. a B25 skin is good for the sea... and only two pnzr and one tiger skin fit the GV landscape... why not either give us some new green terrains with more scenery objects to blend with or bring back some of the old tree terrains with the tall grass? i'd also love for snow terrains in MA and maybe desert if we ever get some good Brit crusaders in this game...  :aok anyone agree?
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Camo not being able to be used well
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 06:24:54 PM »
You must have missed the Shermans in the last FSO. Default terrain tile set (couple custom airfields) and they blended right in to the background clutter.

The main problem is the German armor all use a desert camo scheme as the default skin. A lot of people turn off skins for everyone but themselves on their FE, so Tigers and Panzers stick out like a sore thumb in our Western Europe terrain. The American GVs all use a dark green as the default which is hard to make out against the terrain, especially wooded areas. Additionally, if you turn down ground detail range the background clutter disappears entirely but you can STILL see the tanks. You may not know if there's clutter in the way that will prevent taking a shot, but you'll still see them.

Also, it's been discussed in another thread that camouflage on aircraft really only mattered if the plane is on the ground and not moving, or if an enemy was looking around from a good couple thousand feet overhead and not focusing their attention.

The only real fix that works for the Mains is to set the German armor to use a skin of the same dark green as the Shermans, if there is one, and to fix ground vis range so that GVs are visible at the same range as ground clutter. There's no need to fix anything for aircraft. In fact, it's been argued that aircraft camouflage works BETTER than it should.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 06:52:40 PM »
The skins in this game are only meant to add another dimension to your personal gameplay. They are meant for YOUR enjoyment. Not your disguise.

They do not blend in to the terrain because that's not the point. Other folks can and do disable skins, or disable "others' skins" in their settings, so it doesn't matter what you take, as long as YOU like how it looks.

Outside of 200 yards it's mostly black outlines with black or silver shadows on planes anyways. Outside of 1k you are mostly just a single black pixel on the screen. No matter what color skin you have you're still just black or silver dots on the horizon, so it's never ever going to really work the way it does in real life.

This is a limitation of computer display technology, and the reason we have icons. I think GVs are severely handicapped by not having icons, because you're worse than legally blind without them.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 10:33:33 AM »
This much is true!!!
The main problem is the German armor all use a desert camo scheme as the default skin.

Aside from the few GV skins that handicap those vehicles, I don't think aircraft skins need to be looked at.  As it wouldnt make much difference.  The RED icon will always look the same.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.