Author Topic: A new arena with harder settings  (Read 1431 times)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
A new arena with harder settings
« on: December 28, 2008, 11:19:54 PM »
    Make an arena with tweaked models that stall easier, is harder to hit the enemy, enemy takes more damage to bring down, add winds etc.

Create an arena that makes players strive to get good enough to fly in. Full Realism in AW was harder than Relaxed realism arenas to fly in. Eventually it grew and was populated by many good pilots.

~AoM~

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: A new arena with harder settings
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 11:34:19 PM »
I like some of this, however I disagree with upping the hardness of aircraft. We have an all-or-nothing damage model and whines galore about rubber bullets as it is. Requiring more damage to knock off pieces is just going to compound those problems (though I'd LOVE to see the glass engine in the F4U fixed).

However if HTC would ever give us a more detailed damage model where just having holes in your wings, fuselage and control surfaces impacted performance I'd be all for that.  :aok

I DO agree with fixing the EZ-mode stalls and gunnery, (as it is it's WAY too easy to get high hit percentages) and adding wind in the arena.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 12:07:32 AM »
    Make an arena with tweaked models that stall easier, is harder to hit the enemy, enemy takes more damage to bring down, add winds etc.

Did the "real" WwII really stall easier than ours in AH?
Took it really more damage to bring planes down?

I DO agree with fixing the EZ-mode stalls and gunnery, (as it is it's WAY too easy to get high hit percentages)

Uhm.. the average AH player is getting not much better hit % than his historical counterpart. And the few of us that realy excel.. well, most have an insane number of live target practice. How often did a WWII fighter pilot shoot at a maneuvering enemy? I do that more in one tour than even an eastern front "Experte" did it during the whole war.

Could it be that the wish of getting a bigger challenge may result in some kind of ultra-realism that may be actually not that realistic at all?

Just wondering...

« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 12:18:43 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 12:54:16 AM »
I've watched a LOT of gun cam footage, read more about the subject than I care to admit, and our gunnery is NOT too "easy". Lusche is spot on when he points out that real pilots had vastly less gunnery practice than a guy who has been playing a few months, much less a vet.

Examples: Several of Bob Johnson's kills literally  *exploded* to little bits when he hosed them down with 8 .50s. IIRC, it was at Y29 that  P-51D pilot shot a 190 in a turn with a deflection shot. The range was so close that the guns in each wing (3 .50s) hit each wing of the 190. Being hosed down by these 3 .50s apiece caused *both* wings to break and fold up over the canopy, like "a carrier plane".

Saxman: For offline practice, I turn my lethality down to .0001% sometimes. A few .50 pings to the nose of any plane *still*gets the oil/rad, even though otherwise you can hose it down from here till Christmas with 30MMs at those settings and not break off any flying surfaces. Interesting aye?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 01:31:07 AM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 10:04:32 AM »
I recall a Spitfire pilot who had done most of his combat in the Battle of Britain hitting a Bf109 later, firing a burst of 5 rounds from each cannon and blowing it apart.  He said he'd forgotten how effective the cannons were and so was initially stunned when the Bf109 broke up.

Saburo Sakai described breaking a P-39 in half while flying his A6M, firing only 2 rounds from each cannon.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 10:08:41 AM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 10:26:20 AM »
If you want an arena with increased realism you're not looking at the right factors.  My opinion is...

• Redouts should damage the pilot's vision
  • Positive G's should hamper the viewing system and delay flap deployment, etc.
  • Engine controls should include prop pitch, mixture, different throttle response times, WEP differences
  • Other things I can't think of now ;)

gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 10:29:48 AM »
  • Engine controls should include prop pitch, mixture, different throttle response times, WEP differences

I'd rather just see this in the normal arena, with a stall-limiter like option to simplify it for newbies.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 10:31:32 AM »
  To be honest I guess Im looking at weeding out a few players to make an arena they may not be interested in. Selfish?

Ya maybe.

~AoM~

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 11:25:13 AM »
We already have prop pitch.  That is what RPM is.  All the fighter aircraft in this game have constant speed props other than the Spitfire Mk I and Hurricane Mk I.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 11:42:18 AM »
I think even those have 'em, Karnak! We've got the later versions of both, with Hamilton props, right?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 11:46:26 AM »
I think even those have 'em, Karnak! We've got the later versions of both, with Hamilton props, right?
I recall those being three setting props compared to the original fixed pitch, two bladded props fitted on the pre-war Spits and Hurris.  I could be wrong though.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 12:23:14 PM »
etc.[/li]
[li]Engine controls should include prop pitch, mixture, different throttle response times, WEP differences[/li][/list]

Definately :aok

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 01:19:39 PM »
different throttle response times
Does the data even exist for this?  If not, it wouldn't be realistic as it would just be fudged in for at least some aircraft.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Boozeman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 02:36:29 PM »

Create an arena that makes players strive to get good enough to fly in.

I think that's the key here. If this means making the arena "harder" than in reality, well, so be it.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 03:02:27 PM »
Create an arena that makes players strive to get good enough to fly in.
I think that's the key here. If this means making the arena "harder" than in reality, well, so be it.
Why?  That sounds idiotic.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-