Author Topic: Anti Virus Programs  (Read 2020 times)

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
Anti Virus Programs
« on: December 29, 2008, 11:04:35 PM »
Here is a rating of Eset's NOD32 Suite which I have reccomended here to numerious forum users.  There is also a link to the whole article, see how your antivirus compairs to NOD32
 Link http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/protect_your_pc_from_guys_like_this?page=0%2C0

Article about NOD32 by Paul Lilly

"Independent test labs consistently rank ESET’s Nod32 antivirus program as one of the top performers, so how has company gone about improving its product? For starters, the Smart Security suite builds on Nod32’s core by stuffing a personal firewall, antispyware module, web access protection, and spam controls into a tidy 22MB package. But that’s just the beginning.

From first click to finish, you’ll be up and running in less than a minute with no reboot required. The default settings will have you ready to romp around the web, but should you decide to dive into the interface’s advanced section, you’ll find a truckload of options at your disposal in plain English.

In addition to scouring your local drives, the real-time file protection homes in on removable media and network drives too. And when it comes to safeguarding your email, if you’re not using Outlook, simply expand the POP3 tree and put a checkmark next to your email client of choice, or click the Add button if you don’t see it listed. It doesn’t get any easier than this.
Parental units and IT admins alike will appreciate the ability to block specific web addresses, and support for wildcard entries save you the time of inputting every subdomain. Once you have everything configured, export your settings to an XML file for effortless configuration of your entire home or work network.

Given the bevy of options and stellar track record, we were determined to uncover an Achilles’ heel, but we just couldn’t find one. ESET’s Smart Security thwarted our attempts to download infected files, making the scant 7 minutes and 54 seconds it took to scan our system feel as though we were just going through the motions.

Only the lack of identity protection and the inability to create a rescue disk prevent this from being the perfect package. As it stands, it will have to settle for near-perfect.

Verdict: 9"

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
Re: Anti Virus Programs
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 03:44:21 PM »
I've just installed Norton AntiVirus 2009 Gaming Edition. Over the years I've had a love-hate relationship with Norton. It was good stuff, then became so bloated and intrusive it drove me nuts. So I've tried Trend Micro (pretty good) and McAfee (bad).

So why back to Norton and a "Gamer" product that probably is the same as their regular AV but tacks on $10 for the "gamer" tag?

Well, they actually seem to have thought it through. Symantec must have hired some engineers who grew up gaming and have now graduated with EE software degrees! It's very light weight. It doen't pop up crap all the time reminding you or alerting you of stuff. It auto detects when you are in Full Screen mode (gaming or watching a movie) and disables most all the AV functions during that time. No scans, no updates, only two processes running while you're gaming.

So far I'm very impressed with it.

See http://shop.symantecstore.com/store/symnahho/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.108125400/pgm.6037100/ThemeID.106300/Currency.USD

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 04:57:19 PM »
I've uninstalled all virus protection on my PCs through the years.  I've used Norton and McAfee and they've both been a problem.

If anyone uses the Norton gaming version would you give me a heads up please!

Thanks
Hajo
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 05:10:18 PM »
I'm almost done with the ESET Smart Security suite 30 day free trial.

I'll be getting the 2 year subscription.   Leaving it ALL ON while gaming is a plus and has not a single negative effect on the games. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 06:52:06 PM »

I'll be getting the 2 year subscription.   Leaving it ALL ON while gaming is a plus and has not a single negative effect on the games. 
I'm 2 weeks or so into mine, trying to decide on the version with firewall or not, as I can't have a router in front of my dialup box, only behind it
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 09:11:12 PM »
I never noticed any interference with AH from NOD32 ver 2.x; it even seemed to wait until I stopped the game to update definitions (or at least it waited to tell me).  NOD32 ver 3, however, will update it's definitions while I'm playing and even pop up a notice which ghosts through to the AH screen.  It's a tiny bit annoying, but I don't notice any serious warps etc.

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 10:11:57 PM »
I never noticed any interference with AH from NOD32 ver 2.x; it even seemed to wait until I stopped the game to update definitions (or at least it waited to tell me).  NOD32 ver 3, however, will update it's definitions while I'm playing and even pop up a notice which ghosts through to the AH screen.  It's a tiny bit annoying, but I don't notice any serious warps etc.
I like that the Definitions are updated a few times a day rather then once a week.  Virus out today they generally have a block for it that day.  Don't have to be a week with your pants down!

Offline Speed55

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 10:00:59 AM »
I'm using Kaspersky 7.0 and am really happy with it. 
"The lord loves a hangin', that's why he gave us necks." - Ren & Stimpy

Ingame- Ozone

Offline Hawk55

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 10:14:56 AM »

Same here Karaya...I've had it close to 2 years and it's one of the best out there for me.  No effect on my games either.
The Lynchmob-Outlaws--HAWK

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 12:08:20 PM »
I'm using Kaspersky 7.0 and am really happy with it. 
One of the most hacked AV out there next to Norton.  Used to use Kaspersky then tried the ESET many moons ago, and the ESET found 27 infiltrations that Kaspersky didn't even notice or warn me about!  I will stick with the NOD32 and stay safer IMHO

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 01:02:34 PM »
Heh I don't use AV at all but scan with Nod32 from time to time. If I would find a single alert I would reformat and reinstall.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 01:29:03 PM »
ESET here for several years now - all good - leave it on while in AH
I think you can set when the app updates - mine does it at 3am every night
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 02:00:08 PM »
I use McAfee (now free through Comcast) but I'm behind a router so I just leave everything turned off all the time.  I update definitions twice a week and scan once a week manually.  I've been using it this way for years and have never had a problem.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 05:09:43 PM »
Just moved my mother and sister over to ESET after they were whining about how many times McAfee was messing up settings or always asking for something. They both did the antivirus only setup. I have that as well but may be upgrading to the full security set version.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 03:15:25 AM »
Definitely NOD32. McAfee are wierd, their corporate AV is the most awesome product out there, but their retail product blows giant goat balls.