Author Topic: Home Theater Getups  (Read 279 times)

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
Home Theater Getups
« on: January 01, 2009, 11:58:46 AM »
Ok, I know certain areas can be pretty argumentative and that is not what I want and I'm on my best behaviour. 

I currently have a 2 channel setup which I think sounds pretty nice, and am in the process of going to 5 channel.  I have what speakers I will use purchased, and also I have purchased a Marantz 5003 home theater receiver.  Now, also, I have bought a Sony bdp-350 blu-ray player.  Since it has been shipped and I now have time to think about it new years day waiting for it, should I have bought a PS3 instead?  Would the ps3 have done all the audio decoding I would need?  I've never even seen a ps3 working except by kids like in walmart where there are like 5 of em taking turns.  I do have a projector in my basement, a panasonic ae900u, which will do either 720p or 1080i, which I realize is not 1080p as is the blu ray or ps3.  I have heard and read that although I dont have 1080p projector, I will still see a nice improvement over standard dvd's.  Projector screen is 16:9 and approx 10' diag. measurment, and I made it myself.

Second thing is, what kind of seating do you guys use?  Pit groups?  Reclining couches?  Theater seating (genuine fold down seats)?  Generally I have me and 4 guys out 1 day a week and so I need seating for 5-6 anyway.  I expanded a room in my basement to make it bigger and wife wanted leather couch and loveseat upstairs, so I hauled it up for her, and she got rid of our old couch upstairs :)

My room now measures 16 wide by 31 feet long.  There is room now for theater and a game area ie darts, cardtable,  snack table  popcorn machine, etc. at one end.  Or should a person look at a wii thing?   Heard they were fun for a group of people but again, have not seen one. 
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
Re: Home Theater Getups
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 05:15:33 PM »
Movie theater sounds way better than a wii thing that you don't even know if you like or not. The great thing about movie theater is that it fits all audiences ~ all you must do to accomodate the varied audiences is change the movie. *smile*

And I'd totally look for recliners; cupholder tables between them (even if you have to make them).  Think, movie theater, except first class instead of coach. :)

*edit* by recliners, I meant separate recliners for each person... not a reclining couch or anything.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 05:17:30 PM by texasmom »
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 08:07:58 PM »
I may have worded what I wanted wrong Txmom.  I have the projector and stuff set up, or will have shortly when carpet and stuff is laid down.  I am saying that I will always have home theater down there, I just need to do something for seating now that the couch/loveseat is upstairs.

And also, the room is longer so now I will be able to have an area in the back for a game table, snack table etc.  I wondered about a wii thing for entertainment in conjuction with the projector.  Also I was wondering if I should have bought a ps3 instead of a blu-ray player so us guys can play games downstairs? 
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 10:15:02 PM »
Wii, PS3, Xbox360 they all have most of the same games that you might want to play. Also you will want to look into some sort of theater seating setups. I saw some in Sam's Club the other day that were pretty slick with the seats together with cup holders in the arms and they reclined. Not sure how much they were but they were nice enough.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 09:07:37 AM »
http://www.elitehts.com/home.htm

http://www.htmarket.com/home-theater-furniture-home-theater-seating.html

http://www.onewayfurniture.com/home-theater-seating.html?utm_source=business&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=hometheater&utm_campaign=discount

I have friends that have WII's and I own a PS3.  The Wii is fun in a group and the games are entertaining....but not in the graphics.  I can't see playing the Wii for hours by yourself...they just don't seem fun to me.  I like my PS3 except the new models can't play the older ps2 games and that sucks because I have alot of PS2 games.  The best group games for PS3 is Rock Band 2...if your into music.  Cool thing it's got rock from all ages...found Ratt "round and round" a few weeks ago.  It was one of my favorite songs from HS.  PS3 hooked up through a system like yours would be insane. 
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."