Author Topic: In game sounds to videos.  (Read 635 times)

Offline JETBLST

• Copper Member
In game sounds to videos.
« on: January 04, 2009, 07:08:41 PM »
Ok I looked all over and even used search.

Does anyone know how to get AH Viewer, Fraps, Or Streaming to AVI, to get your sounds from you film clips over to your editing programs?

My sounds do not transfer.  It would be nice to not have to add all of the sounds from sound files. 

Even If I do begin working on adding sounds from sound files how do you make a sound of an object passing you?

:confused: ?

:pray Boy I could use some help here.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: In game sounds to videos.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 10:18:05 PM »
Well I have FRAPs set to "what you hear" and it works.

Mind you, there is also a "what you hear" setting in the windows audio control panel. Sometimes windows turns things down, so you have to go into the advanced tab at least once to raise them up again (after that it usually stays -- but you should check to see if this is the cause of your problem).

The "direct sound" doesn't work so good, as it just takes the input from my mic (which is indirectly from my speakers) and is a very low quality by the time it gets into the film.

And, finally, don't forget the good old "add them in manually on their own tracks" technique!

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 12:52:41 AM »
When I did my last test film (where I made a hard attempt at making game sounds into it), about 70% of the sounds I had to redub (30% captured on What You Hear settings on Fraps).  That is, I either captured/sampled from different scenes or I imported the actual game sounds and lined them up with the scene.  The Camera Shots will not capture the 'Recording player' plane when using the World Pointing settings (IIRC).  Plane Relative does and I 'think' World Relative will capture that 'Recording player' plane sounds.

It's time consuming but well worth it.  In case you missed it.
http://www.derstuhl.net/downloads/filmtest_1c.zip

Like in this film, I separate a lot of the sounds out on their own audio tracks.  I think I had about 10 audio tracks on the above movie since a lot of scenes has pan of volume across channels etc.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 12:56:10 AM by Fulmar »
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 05:48:10 AM »
you can record sounds on Fraps then put it on WMM and balance out the Music and in-game sounds.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline JETBLST

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 08:26:45 AM »
Wow lots of food for thought GREAT!  THANKS Guys!!!!!

Question then.  I use MAGIX Movie Edit Pro.  I'd have to imagine its just like Vegas only different.  It has the video track then a number of tracks
below it to add whatever you want.  More Video, Sound, Music Etc.  Is this how Vegas Works then too?  Very Simular to WMM only far more advanced.

If it is, then my question would be this.  When you import you FRAPS Tracks, do you have the video then the audio on a seperate track in Vegas.  Because that would limit my search if you do.  I do not get a sound track at all from my imports.  That is leading me to a windows audio problem. 

Also, is the "what you hear" that you guys are talking about, is that in the Widows Audio Panel or in FRAPS or in both?  Also is that a paid subscription feature in FRAPS?  These should greatly limit my troubleshooting.  THANKS MUCH GUYS!!   :salute :aok

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 09:33:39 AM »
Yup, any movie maker program should allow you to have separate audio and video tracks.  When my Fraps records w/ sound the recorded .avi file has sound with it.  When you import it into Vegas the Video and Audio of that .avi file are on their own tracks, but are linked together.  That is if I move my video scene to 0:35 on the video track, the audio follows with it.  Of course they can be unlinked if necessary.

I have the full version of Fraps, but the free version should work the exact same.  It's only limitation is that after 30 seconds of constant recording, the video will turn to black and white.  Sound recording should be fully functional.  On the Movie Tab of Fraps, make sure record sound is checked, as well as Detect best sound input.  Under Sound Device should be your sound card and sound input should be "What U Hear."

Do you have a dedicated sound card or does your computer have onboard sound?

As for your email, you cannot get the Fly-By sound effect (aka Doppler Effect, this is when a plane fly bys you and is soft in the distance and gets louder as it gets closer etc) from any 'recording' plane in an AH film.  If you look at my movie I posted above, I'll be referring to the last section - the 109 vs p51.  I was the 109 physically recording the flight.  In the movie there is a part where  the P51 zooms past the camera with the appropriate Doppler effect.  Since the P51 was a different plan, the AH Film viewer will properly do the effect.  But it is unachievable on the 109 since it was the recording player.  Sorry, its the limitations of the Film Viewer.  The only way to get around this would be to have the P51 record a film as well as the 109 record and then sample from each film.*

*You could do a volume panning across audio channels to simulate it, but I do not know the options and capabilities of your movie program.

It's okay to leave sound out of your movie.  It's does add to the realism and excitement to the movie, but I'd say about 90-95% of the movies on my website do not have plane sounds in their movies.
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline JETBLST

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 10:51:05 AM »
BOY it would be simpler to leave out the sound.    :)  But the ones with the sound are just way too cool.  Hence MINE WILL HAVE SOUNDS!   :salute

Im not sure about my sound card situation.  Im not that steeped in computer "ese"  Or I am still learning GEEK.  LOL  My DXDiag might tell me but then I cant read most of that stuff. 

THANKS again for so much input and food for thought.  Audio Panning  I think I could get familiar with that.  Cool!

Side question off topic.  I noticed some of these videos look a lot nicer than others is that to do with the video settings in game?  In other words do I have to make sure my video settings are to the max to get such good film? 

Off to watch your ref. film.  Thanks again guys for all the help! :salute

Offline JETBLST

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 11:00:22 AM »
That is simply AWESOME!  How did you get that realistic "shaky" type view on the aircraft?  I loved how the ground shook when one of them hit the ground.  GREAT Effects. 

How the P51 dopplar effect is what I am trying to get.  All the other sounds you had I feel I could get into my videos.  Tedious but way worth the effort!

NICE!  That is the quality I am striving for right there!

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 02:31:55 PM »
The quality of the video is dependent on two things. 
#1 Have Anti-Aliasing turned on your AH and the AH film viewer - check your graphics card settings

#2 Film Viewer window size and the capture settings for Fraps.  I don't run the Film viewer at Full Screen mode - but I do maximize it to my desktop window (which is 1680x1050).  The actual film playback window is something like 1152x768 or something like that.  Fraps is set to record at Full-size and at 60 FPS.

So when Fraps records video the fraps .avi file is 1152x768.  Which is fairly close to 720p HD TV resolution.

#3 Movie Maker settings.  I prefer the WMV 9 codec and leave the quality setting at 90% and leave the output resolution the same as the input fraps .avi files, which was 1152x768.  The higher the resolution, the better the picture is going to be (in a sense).  But don't try and upscale the video as it won't look very good and grainy.  So don't take a fraps .avi recording that was recorded at 640x480 and try and output it as a file that is 1024x768 or something of that nature.

You can always make them smaller (which decreases file size) but never try and make them bigger than what they were originally capture at.

If you're using a different codec like Divx or xvid or something else, your settings will vary.  Divx and Xvid bit rates should be around 3000 kbps for something high quality IMHO.  Google will help you with good video codec settings.

So to answer your quesiton - other movie makers either did not output their movies at a high resolution/bit rate/quality setting for various reasons or their input video was not up to par of the output settings.

The camera shake is an aftermarket plugin for sony vegas called NewBlue.  It's available for 5 or 6 other programs as well.  But its $$$.

I used a sun flare effect for whenever the sun was in view in the movie and then I movie the sun flare to match the sun's moving position.

I also used a color tint that toned down some of the cartoony colors of AH.

_______

The doppler effect on the P51 was setup with the World Pointing camera shot.  This camera shot will simulate the doppler effect fairly well.  However, like I said before, it does not work on the recording player's plane, only other planes in the film.

It is also a bug with the AH film viewer camera shots that once you hit 'play shot' the sound files/animations for starting engines is played - and this will be recorded in your fraps movies.  There are a couple of ways you can get around this.

#1 Start your camera shots scenes about 5 seconds or so ahead of what the main part of the shot is.  This will give you extra time in the fraps recording that you can trim out engine starting without it affecting your main shot.

#2 What I also do is when I'm going to do a movie, I go into the AH game and turn down the volume levels of the Start Engine and External start engines to 0%.  These volume levels carry over to the Film Viewer and thus you don't have to worry about that affecting your sound recordings.  If you're doing a scene where an engine is starting - either go back and change the volume or just simply add the sound effect file into your movie (which I prefer).

Offline JETBLST

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 03:16:46 PM »
Very Very Well done Fulmar!  This will keep me going for some time.  I did get that engine start bug as well gotchya!  A too just filmed like 8 seconds so as not to record that.

I'm getting closer on finding out sounds.

I like that Add on and will check with MAGIX to see if it works.

What did you pay for Vegas?  Or what would one expect to pay?  MAGIX was what Best Buy had LOL and I got it really for other purposes.

Thanks again for all your information!   :aok :aok  It all is really going to help when it comes to making films!   :salute

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 03:41:46 PM »
Sony Vegas 9 is the newest version.  I run Sony Vegas 8 Pro which runs about $430 IIRC on Amazon.  Pro is the high end version.  Sony Vegas 9 Movie Studio which is the same thing, but without some of the advance features runs about $80 and is a very good buy IMO.

Offline weazely

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 05:24:21 PM »
Vegas pro is a beast in the right hands... it has 3d rendering, masking/cropping out, and so much more it really isnt need for AH films.

I have not really seen any AH2 movies/videos that have done half of Vegas Pro's capabilities.
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX.
Invidia V2 Catless Downpipe
STi Catback
HKS SQV BOV

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 05:43:07 PM »
Vegas pro is a beast in the right hands... it has 3d rendering, masking/cropping out, and so much more it really isnt need for AH films.

I have not really seen any AH2 movies/videos that have done half of Vegas Pro's capabilities.
For someone that can use it professionally, some of the stuff is amazing.