Author Topic: Self Sealing Fuel Tanks??  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Self Sealing Fuel Tanks??
« on: January 07, 2009, 06:37:06 PM »
Quick question. Aircraft from WWII had self sealing fuel tanks (or at least most of them), does AHII also have thise feature??

Offline MaSonZ

• Gold Member
Re: Self Sealing Fuel Tanks??
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 09:58:12 PM »
dont quote me, but it appears they dont. when i think "self-sealing" i think thick rubber tank that if its hit it closes the whole, unless a chunk of the tank is taken out completly.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
HogDweeb

Offline Fender16

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
The zero didn't have this feature and they light on fire at the sight of the sun so it may be already in?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 03:04:52 PM »
Yes, they are modeled.  It isn't to stop leaks, it is to stop fires from happening.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 03:16:16 PM »
Self sealing fuel tanks expand to plug up bullet holes, only if you get a frickin' watermelon sized hole they can't stop that. They can still leak if you hit them hard enough, but they stop minor hits.

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 06:51:33 PM »
I use chewing gum on my zero to plug fuel leaks. Gives that extra bit of time to get you before my wings fall off.

Offline splitatom

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 07:35:07 PM »
they do but canon rounds take out hunks of the fuel tanks so you hardly notice they are there exept when you fly american rides
snowey flying since tour 78

Offline Chapel

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 08:10:22 PM »
I'd think of it this way...
Know all those hits you hear, but don't do any negligible damage? I'm guessing those hits the tanks are sealing up. That and putting holes in the cockpit, wings etc.

When you get a serious fuel leak, you probably lost a chunk of the tank, that's not gonna plug regardless of how much rubberized silly putty is in the tank.
Rolling Thunder

Offline lagger86

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 11:48:17 PM »
they do but canon rounds take out hunks of the fuel tanks so you hardly notice they are there exept when you fly american rides
my awesome flying can light up a corsair like a zeke....sadly I'm the one in the corsair :cry
Lagger

Offline Wizer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 07:41:44 AM »
Quick question. Aircraft from WWII had self sealing fuel tanks (or at least most of them), does AHII also have thise feature??

Could someone from HiTech chime in on this?? :salute

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 07:59:35 AM »
Could someone from HiTech chime in on this?? :salute

I doubt anyone from HTC will answer this or any other little or minor question. HTC only has a few people working for them, and even fewer when you get down to those who might know the answer to this. They are way to busy working on upgrades (I hope!) to worry about spending time answering all of these questions over and over again.

As to the question, there is only two reasons why someone would ask it....

1. curiosity, which I think the original poster was thinking. With the explanations here, I think the question has been answered pretty well here. Small caliber rounds are sealed, cannon rounds and multiple hits (big holes) are not.

2. to complain. If they answer "yes it is modeled here" we will get the complainers complaining about the fuel leaks they get ALL THE TIME ! If they answer "No they are not modeled here" they will get the "but it was in the real war !!" compliants.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 11:27:58 AM »
I doubt anyone from HTC will answer this or any other little or minor question. HTC only has a few people working for them, and even fewer when you get down to those who might know the answer to this. They are way to busy working on upgrades (I hope!)

not only working on upgrades, but also scanning these boards to catch the "button pushers". you know...the ones that insist on posting smething, knowing it'll get locked....then start another thread wondering why their original one got locked.....

then there's ht himself.....i'm sure he's gotten hit with the "honey do" list by now.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 01:06:01 PM »
It seems they have been implemented in the game.  Jugs light on fire a bit too easily IMO, but for the most part the other American rides seem to benefit from the vulcanized rubber in the tanks.  (yes, like spock) I've been trying to find a plane list with all the rides equipping this technology, but have been unable to do so.  I'm curious if bombers had it, as B-17s rarely light up yet B-24s are candles with just a couple wing-root pings.    I heard somewhere that lancs had the technology, yet they seem slightly more resistant to burning. 

Don't really know...could just be coding in the game.  I do wonder though who was the first guy in real life to say "hey lets make these suckers seal themselves up."  :aok

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 01:37:53 PM »
It seems they have been implemented in the game.  Jugs light on fire a bit too easily IMO, but for the most part the other American rides seem to benefit from the vulcanized rubber in the tanks.  (yes, like spock) I've been trying to find a plane list with all the rides equipping this technology, but have been unable to do so.  I'm curious if bombers had it, as B-17s rarely light up yet B-24s are candles with just a couple wing-root pings.    I heard somewhere that lancs had the technology, yet they seem slightly more resistant to burning. 

Don't really know...could just be coding in the game.  I do wonder though who was the first guy in real life to say "hey lets make these suckers seal themselves up."  :aok

american planes i've seen impersonating roman candles:
b24
b25
b17
p38
p47
f6f

:D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 01:44:23 PM »
Well sure Cap, I've seen em all burn...I was just talking about the ones that seem to be coated in lard + petrol  :D