Author Topic: Bomber Defensive Fire  (Read 1615 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Bomber Defensive Fire
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 06:53:54 PM »
     Lag anyone?

no thanks......i couldn't eat another bite.
 :rofl :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 08:00:12 PM »
You are forgetting the fact that the bombers have laser-sighted gunsights... at least in AH... ;)

I've gotten absolutly creamed by b17's/b24's at 2.5k out... But I've learned for bombers, come in high in a ta-152, and they won't have time to shoot back. :D

You are so wrong.  The buff gunsights are not laser-sighted.  The principals taught at the WWII aerial gunnery camps applies here.  If one takes the time to study the WWII manuals and practice applying what is in them then one can become quite accurate with the guns.

http://www.oldmanuals.com/gunnery.htm is a good place to start.  I bought the CD sometime ago and the principals taught in it work in AH.  BJ229R understands it.  There are a few forces at work here.
2Slow
Secundum mihi , urbanus resurrectio
TANSTAAFL

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 08:06:12 PM »
Strangely, one can't become quite so proficient (as in easy-peasy shoot-downs from 1.5 out) with wing- or fuselage-mounted guns.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline 999000

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 08:27:06 PM »
 I'm not sure what everbody else does but in order to conserve i usually start shooting at 600 out, but also is dependent on how fast the victim is coming in......also dependent on multiple enemy and  your SA.
<S> 999000

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 08:31:38 PM »
I'm not sure what everbody else does but in order to conserve i usually start shooting at 600 out, but also is dependent on how fast the victim is coming in......also dependent on multiple enemy and  your SA.
<S> 999000
Pffftt..what does HE know :salute
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline TwinEng

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 09:16:59 PM »
You are forgetting the fact that the bombers have laser-sighted gunsights... at least in AH... ;)

But I've learned for bombers, come in high in a ta-152, and they won't have time to shoot back. :D

Unless, of course, you are facing a grizzly old skeet and sporting clays shooter like me.   :D

I've always had a fondness for those high incomers .............     :lol

Offline Newman5

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 09:21:04 PM »
dependent on how fast the victim is coming in......

:rofl :rofl   :aok
"Hello, Newman."

Offline TwinEng

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2009, 09:21:59 PM »
     Lag anyone?

Exactly.   He was probably closer to 1k than 1.5k when he died.

Offline TwinEng

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2009, 09:25:58 PM »
You are so wrong.  The buff gunsights are not laser-sighted.  The principals taught at the WWII aerial gunnery camps applies here.  If one takes the time to study the WWII manuals and practice applying what is in them then one can become quite accurate with the guns.

http://www.oldmanuals.com/gunnery.htm is a good place to start.  I bought the CD sometime ago and the principals taught in it work in AH.  BJ229R understands it.  There are a few forces at work here.

You are so right.   A more fun way to practice is to get a shotgun and shoot a sporting clays course that has a good high tower incoming station.  You will then get a target much like a fighter diving down on your bomber.

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2009, 09:35:53 PM »
Its impossible, because 12mm have ~1500 meters range.

tracer range is about 1500 metters ammo flys 3000 metters also remember plane attacking bombers 6 is flying into rounds 1.5 out means ammo flew less than 1k distance unless plane was exactly same speed.

Offline Tr0jan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009, 09:37:45 PM »
Time to pull out the Cheese

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2009, 12:58:17 AM »
     Lag anyone?

That's exactly what I have been thinking. I rarely fire if more than 1000 yds out.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2009, 12:59:24 AM »
I try not to shoot until 800 or under.  But I always try for 400 or less to start.  Plus, it's usually not me flying, just me in the guns. So if you shoot too soon, they get pissed that you ran out of ammo. :D  That right there's good enough reason to wait!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 01:01:04 AM by texasmom »
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2009, 01:31:21 AM »
tracer range is about 1500 metters ammo flys 3000 metters also remember plane attacking bombers 6 is flying into rounds 1.5 out means ammo flew less than 1k distance unless plane was exactly same speed.

Proof? Try Larry's suggestion (6th post).

Also do some math and find speed difference planes must have to decrease bullets path from 1.5 to 1.0. M2 has ~900m/s muzzle velocity.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2009, 01:46:43 AM »
I try not to shoot until 800 or under.  But I always try for 400 or less to start.  Plus, it's usually not me flying, just me in the guns. So if you shoot too soon, they get pissed that you ran out of ammo. :D  That right there's good enough reason to wait!

Assuming you're in buffs, that's all well and good Txmom. Still though many lob those potatoes from around 1000 yds and some even further out. So you have to fire at least 1000 yds out. Not that it will necessarily kill them but you will probably take out a gun or two or maybe even get some oil on their canopy.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter