Author Topic: Bomber Defensive Fire  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Airborne

• Zinc Member
      • The Wrecking Crew
Re: Bomber Defensive Fire
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2009, 02:17:11 AM »
.50 Cal/12.7mm round

Maximum Range 7,440 yd (6,800 m)
Maximum Effective Range Area Target: 2,000 yd (1,830 m)
Point Target: 1,640 yd (1,500 m)

Still the same today as it was back then...... mostly because its the same weapon..

Offline cegull

• Zinc Member
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2009, 10:09:09 PM »
This extraordinary range thing makes me wonder if somebody has figured out how to turn .30cal/.50cal rounds into 37mm.  So much for realism.  It is a fun shootin- em up though.  As far as real life stuff goes, I was reading Adolf Gallands book which states that some German pilots started shooting at 700meters when attacking B17's and about scored 2% hits.  500 rounds , 10 hits.  I don't think an F86 with radar controled sights could hit another plane at 1500 meters let alone a tail gunner with iron sights. 

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2009, 10:59:49 AM »
I tap people all the time from 1.5k.  Believe it!  Some of you already know this. 

That 9 guy can probably do it too.  I've heard he is a decent shot.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2009, 11:03:13 AM »
max effective range for the m2(5o cal) is 1830 meters, if that helps..
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2009, 11:04:06 AM »
i missed your post..Airborne... :salute
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2009, 11:27:05 AM »
That 9 guy can probably do it too.  I've heard he is a decent shot.

What an understatement. :eek:
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2009, 11:34:09 AM »
See Rule #4

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2009, 01:26:10 PM »
When I first started flying bombers I could not hit anything with guns and so I did some reading on this BBS. I found a post where hitech said ballistics are not calculated beyond 1.7 range. I just tried to find the post but couldnt.

The idea that a bomber could travel 500 yards before a bullet would hit someone chasing from the rear is not accurate obviously. From the front you could attack and start shooting at 2.2k and turn off right at 1.5k and the bomber will take hits though probably not lethally.

Even 999000 can be killed with proper attacks as I know from first hand experience. He is one of the better shots but not invulnerable.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2009, 02:07:26 PM »
This extraordinary range thing makes me wonder if somebody has figured out how to turn .30cal/.50cal rounds into 37mm.  So much for realism.  It is a fun shootin- em up though.  As far as real life stuff goes, I was reading Adolf Gallands book which states that some German pilots started shooting at 700meters when attacking B17's and about scored 2% hits.  500 rounds , 10 hits.  I don't think an F86 with radar controled sights could hit another plane at 1500 meters let alone a tail gunner with iron sights. 

I guess you need to catch up on some reading about the .50 cal round ... and understand the closing rate of a .50 cal that has been fired at a plane that is going 300 mph and coming directly at the .50 cal round.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 02:09:15 PM by SlapShot »
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2009, 02:39:21 PM »
It's true, I've been shot down once or twice.

Even LLogann can be killed with proper attacks as I know from first hand experience. He is one of the better shots but not invulnerable.

:D
See Rule #4

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2009, 03:43:39 PM »
It's true, I've been shot down once or twice.

:D

... and yet I never heard of you.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2009, 03:52:41 PM »
  I don't think an F86 with radar controled sights could hit another plane at 1500 meters let alone a tail gunner with iron sights. 

This is a strange statement because many of the encounters I've read in Korea are about U.S. pilots in F-86s getting hits and kills from 1500 yards out and I always thought it odd that our range seems to "end" at 1,000 yards.

I've also read that Germans used cannon for their additional effective range, IE. being able to fire from outside the defensive range of the bombers.

Who is wrong here?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2009, 04:08:02 PM »
The F-86 could hit targets at 3000 yds (cant speak of effectiveness at that range or whether it ever did hit planes at 3000 yds) but much higher then AH aircraft fly. The F-86 used armor piercing incendiary rounds but the incendiary design was based on magnesium that burned poorly at the altitudes the Sabre sometimes was engaged at. The gunsight on the Sabre was less difficult to use for ranged shots on a turning fighter then the P51Ds K-14 sight with the Sabre sight being faster to stabilize.

Offline 999000

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2009, 08:55:48 PM »
Chalenge ...please don't tell them how to make me an easy kill!!!
<S> 999000

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2009, 12:01:59 AM »
No fun in that!  :D <S>