Author Topic: An other ride along clip  (Read 2292 times)

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
Re: An other ride along clip
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2009, 03:37:14 PM »
I didn't mean to imply that Shaw was the originator. I was responding to a comment in another post implying what I posted pre-dated Shaw. My only intention was to show it was published after Shaw. Shaw got it from the Navy (obviously, since they trained him).

Pretty much everyone agrees nothing much has changed in a pure dogfight since they were invented in 1914. The biggest confusion has to be that the names of stuff constantly evolves. Folks were flying all of the maneuvers and tactics described in current publications in 1943 (with the exception of vertical extensions going up) but they certainly weren't calling them by their modern names.

Here is the url for the T-45 Strike p-pubs page

https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/pubs/ppub_t45_str.htm

Lots of T-45 stuff there...not just ACM.

I stole from Shaw liberally (with permission...he is a nice guy) rewriting down to a more layman level when I was developing training materials a decade ago in Warbirds.

All of the Navy stuff that is out there now has me revising my training website I started several years back, stealing liberally from the Navy (again). I'm building a lesson by lesson approach going from setting up views through primary manuevers, formations, BFM, 1 v 1 high aspect ACM and on into many plane engagements.

I'll post a link to it when I get it fairly squared away through BFM.
Rgr that, thanks dawger and I look forward to seeing your website.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2009, 05:49:31 PM »
The moment you view it as your "having shots" is the moment you lose effectiveness. While you can maneuver to your advantage the reality is that you don't create shots, you exploit   the opportunities presented. The moment you start to work for shots your dead and just don't know it.

I have to disagree with this and offer the opinion that combat effectiveness is lost when offensive tactics are put on the back burner.

Whether we look at 1942 doctrine:

or modern day:

Airforce:
The primary consideration in offensive BFM is to kill the bandit by arriving in lethal weapons parameters as soon as possible and take the shot.  Understanding the concept of turn circles is mandatory to assessing which BFM discussed in this chapter will work in which instances. It should be remembered that BFM is not a fixed set of maneuvers, but rather, combinations of rolls, turns, and accelerations that have been optimized for certain situations and named for the sake of discussion.  Since the end goal of any offensive engagement is to kill the bandit, BFM is designed precisely to do just that with minimum time and energy expended.

The first and primary goal of offensive BFM is to kill. In order to kill, the fighter pilot must recognize weapons parameters and employ ordnance once in those parameters. If he cannot shoot, he must reposition until he can employ ordnance.

Navy:
The ultimate goal of Offensive ACM, as in all ACM, is to kill the adversary as quickly as possible. If this primary goal is not achieved, ensure a positional advantage is maintained for follow-on weapons employment. Finally, if time to kill is up or you are losing the advantage, separate prior to becoming neutralized. Simply put, the goals of Offensive ACM are, in order:
Kill the adversary
Maintain an Offensive Position
Separate prior to being neutralized

Personal security is balanced with initiating, maintaining, and employing offensive capibility.  I agree it's advisable to consider factors all around you when considering whether to press an attack. But to by default, not even consider pursuit of achievable weapons employment is ineffective IMO. 

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2009, 10:24:30 AM »
Great discussion guys. I hope others are checking this out.
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2009, 03:49:10 AM »
Maybe some day I'll read all this stuff...  yanno, when I'm old and blind and without any reflexes and stuff...

:noid

<edit>  oh, and I like the 1943 language better.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 03:52:29 AM by Shane »
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2009, 12:14:37 PM »
One can get plenty of kills with just BFM.

Fancy flying is nice but not required to have fun and get kills. I swear, in the LW I feel like I'm invisible most of the time.

IMHO, SA is   the singlarly most neglected skill in the game.

All the fancy flying in the world won't bring you success if you are blundering around without a clue.

This is a film from last night and fairly typical, except on my last kill I suddenly lose calibration on my stick, adding a bit of a twist to the fight.
I should call it:  The invisible pony.

Honestly, it's not too unusual.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=0971ffc480d28e54e5c3dee5769931ece04e75f6e8ebb871
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 12:18:07 PM by Steve »
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2009, 12:28:08 PM »
Maybe some day I'll read all this stuff...  yanno, when I'm old and blind and without any reflexes and stuff...

:noid

<edit>  oh, and I like the 1943 language better.

The reading and use of language is completely unnecessary until you are trying to convey the information to another person.

That's when language becomes vitally important. That's the point and importance of making sure terminology is correctly applied.

And there is no such thing as "fancy flying". Every maneuver can be traced back to two simple maneuvers, the roll and the pull.

Situational Awareness is the entire fight. Maneuvering without reference to the bandit(s) is an airshow not BFM.

Good SA makes the "tactical extension" the most important maneuver in the toolbox.

Poor SA results in posts about "Cherry picking, HO, ganging, alt monkey, timid flying and Real Men fly Slow".

An old saw from real world flying applies " Superior pilots rely on superior judgment to avoid using their superior skills"

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2009, 01:02:28 PM »

Poor SA results in posts about "Cherry picking, HO, ganging, alt monkey, timid flying and Real Men fly Slow".

I have a thought on this.

I can avoid bounces by keeping a look out, I can generally avoid HOing in the same way, I can get someone with more altitude by climbing myself or making them loose their energy and attack me, I can chase down the timid by flying a faster brick instead of just puttering about in my uber-turner complaining about runners...

BUT...I'll be damned if there is anything one can do about the mindset that absolutely refuses to engage except 3v1 or the like and which leads to an MA of "gang or be ganged".
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Qrsu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2009, 10:34:59 PM »
One can get plenty of kills with just BFM.

Fancy flying is nice but not required to have fun and get kills. I swear, in the LW I feel like I'm invisible most of the time.

IMHO, SA is   the singlarly most neglected skill in the game.

All the fancy flying in the world won't bring you success if you are blundering around without a clue.

This is a film from last night and fairly typical, except on my last kill I suddenly lose calibration on my stick, adding a bit of a twist to the fight.
I should call it:  The invisible pony.

Honestly, it's not too unusual.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=0971ffc480d28e54e5c3dee5769931ece04e75f6e8ebb871

I enjoyed watching this film, I try to fly the pony this way and yet I find it very difficult to get high quality shots. Not only do I find it hard to line up for a decent shot (without burning too much E in a turn) but shooting properly itself. Anyway, thanks for sharing that Steve - it really gave me an incentive to learn the Pony again.  :aok
Cursed
80th FS "Headhunters"