Author Topic: A favor from/project for skinners  (Read 4684 times)

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
A favor from/project for skinners
« on: January 10, 2009, 01:54:01 PM »
Any of you that have played my offline missions knows that I create a custom map for each one, including terrain, objects, skins, effects, etc.  Well, creating a custom map for a single mission takes a lot of time, so I don't put them out as fast as I'd like to.  I've decided that if I'm going to put all that work into a custom terrain, it should be for more than just a single mission.  I'm going to start working on 4 or 5 part campaigns instead of single missions.  That will ensure that more of the map gets used and the time/effort are more worth while.

This is where I'm going to need some help from anyone that wants to.  My first campaign will be a fictional Battle of Britain 1945, where D-Day was a huge failure, the U.S. has withdrawn from Europe to concentrate on the Pacific, and England and her allies are once again left alone to hold back the German onslaught.

I'm now working on a custom map of England, where the Germans have grabbed a small toehold on the southern coast and are attempting to push north.  The RAF has to stop them and push them out of England forever.

Since creating England with custom cities, airfields and such will take up the majority of my time, plus making the actual missions, this is where I need help from the community.  Since this is a fictional battle, I want to include all custom skins.  The skins need to be fictional, yet not absurd, i.e. no hot pink doras.  All submitted skins will be used and full credit will be given in-mission and in the read-me.  So if you have a custom skin for any of these a/c, or would like to create one, I'd really appreciate it, as I will have to do it all myself otherwise and that will take too much time.  Making all this a community project seems like more fun anyway

List of aircraft:
Spit8
Spit14
Typhoon
Lancaster
Mosquito
HurricaneIIC

109G14
109K4
190D9
190A8
Me262
B24 (German scheme, to simulate Germany developing a heavy bomber)

Here's some examples of the "type" of skins I need.  Fictional, yet semi-realistic.  Actual colors/patterns are left up to the skinners:

As this is my biggest AH project to date,  I would really appreciate any help I can get.  If you would like to do one of the above listed planes, please post here stating which plane(s) you'll do.  Thanks again!

:salute
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Re: A favor from/project for skinners
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 02:40:06 PM »
I can do a Luftwaffe B-24 for you Ranger. BTW why include the Hurri and not the Tempest or Spit 16?

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 02:41:24 PM »
Sounds cool. Should you add the Ju88 to it as well? For smaller actions? As well as the B-25C perhaps? Do you plan to use this in an offline mission? Or put this up for an FSO?

:salute

(btw, your terrains are awesome Ranger!) :rock
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 02:57:15 PM »
I have a suggestion for the RAF skins. Why not revert to the 1940 brown and green camo for all the planes, maybe with light grey underneath and 1945 roundels? There is a sort of historical justification for this. The brown and green scheme was employed early in the war as it hid planes much better when parked on the airfield. Once the threat of RAF fields being bombed or straffed receded the scheme was switched to grey/green which worked a lot better air to air. In the context outlined here RAF bases would likely be under attack again and the old camo scheme might be reapplied.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 03:11:59 PM »
I can do a Luftwaffe B-24 for you Ranger. BTW why include the Hurri and not the Tempest or Spit 16?
You may as well use a captured skin then.

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 03:21:52 PM »
Something like this, Greebo?

As you said, basically the SEAC scheme but with ETO day fighter sky recognition markings and codes.
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 03:23:14 PM »
what game is that Rnger?
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 03:32:47 PM »
Maybe you could use the 1945 RAF markings Jocko, yellow circles around the wing roundels, yellow wing leading edges and no sky band on the fuselage. But its Ranger's project, not mine. :)

I was going to do a full LW camo Lyric. Either the classic two tone green/black green splinter and light blue underneath or maybe one of the more funky bomber schemes the LW used late in the war.

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 03:42:55 PM »
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 03:43:30 PM »
Thx Greebo, the B-24 was my biggest worry if I had to do it myself.  I'd really like to use totally custom skins, so if traditional RAF camo is used, could it be in a custom pattern, such a tiger stripe or something?  I need a totally different look from the norm and worry using normal camo/colors for the RAF just won't "stand out".  I didn't include the Spit16 or Tempest because I want to simulate a darker reality where the allies are beat down and development hasn't progressed like it did in real life.  

1plus44, I didn't include the JU88 since they will have the B-24, but if someone wants to take the time to do a custom 88 job, I'd use it.  The missions haven't been planned out yet, except for a basic outline in my head.  Anyone who's put the time & effort of a skin in will see their work used.

Banshee, the pics are from IL-2 1946.  You can use any custom skin you want in that game, so I knew I could find examples there of the kind of skins I'm looking for.
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 04:28:11 PM »
The scheme above actually reminds me of the post-war desert scheme:

Dark Earth and Light Slate Grey over Medium Sea Grey.  Markings are 1:2:3 ratio post-war roundels in bright red and blue. 
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 04:32:54 PM »
Ohhh I like that!  Beautiful!
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 07:52:44 PM »
Any of those would be awesome.  Nice & evil looking. :t
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩

Offline Lord ReDhAwK

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.revivecomputing.com/aggressors
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 08:11:03 PM »
Ranger, I'd be happy to do a 262 for you.  What is the due date?

ReDhAwK
C.O.
The Aggressors