Author Topic: Death (murder) of a Saitek  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
Death (murder) of a Saitek
« on: January 10, 2009, 10:20:43 PM »
Got rid of my logitech a while back. The Saitek was far better as far as control went. I finally broke the pinky switch (essential) and went and bought another one. This new unit was never quite right. Some of the buttons didn't work and lately it started developing a nasty habbit of de-calibrating itself at the most inappropriate of times. It would suddenly screw up on the elevator axis. It would have very little input for about half the travel and then it would input full lock. This was very disturbing. Just try dogfighting with no elevator input but none and full and that about sums it up. I calibrated in game, in windows, to no avail. This was not looking good.

I finally had had enough when I was handing it to some dork in a spitfire and it took this particular moment to screw up on me. In the end, I was quite astonished how easily the handle separated from the base. All those wires really didn't offer a lot of resistance either.

So, i finally took the plunge and ordered up a CH setup. 250ish dollars later (choke!) and the deed is done. Now I can't wait for it to show up. This is neat because the home site even offers spare parts and it has a two year warrantee.

Now maybe I'll have some control in game. The Saitek deserved the horrific end it met with.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Death (murder) of a Saitek
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 10:31:23 PM »
I suppose the Saitek you got was the X52...
I don't see the problems people are having, I've had my X52 for 3-4 years now and only one small problem that was easily fixed.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Roundeye

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 10:37:27 PM »
I fixed mine by tying the USB cord to my back bumper and driving to the store to get a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.  Not the best in the world, but it has the most comfortable grip and has put up with daily use for about 3 years.
"Rotorhed"

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 10:40:41 PM »
The first one worked ok. It developed a nasty stutter as the cone on the spring was moving around and sticking but that was about it. When that pinky switch went it was done. I took it appart figuring a simple switch replacement would be good, but the plastic button itself was broken and wasn't really practical to fix. Everone says that CH stuff is the schiznit so I'll give it a try.  

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 10:42:04 PM »
I'll bet that "fixed" it real good!!

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 11:17:10 PM »
Been using CH products to play this time of game for 18 years. Only time I've had to buy a new one is when I need an upgrade (like from analog to USB).

Hopefully, you will get service that good out of them. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 11:21:21 PM »
I bought a X52 and saitek pedals about 3 years ago and had good luck with the whole setup until about 6 months ago the hat switch on the JS went dead. Now tonight the right brake on the pedals won't work. I took the whole thing apart to see if i could see anything unhooked or broken, but found nothing.

My very first JS was a saitek 290 pro I got at WalMart for 20 bucks and the trigger developed a dead spot in it, in less than a month.

Saitek looks good but i'm very disappointed in their products. I'm ordering CH Products from now on. Saitek won't ever get another dime from me. :furious
Lighten up Francis

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 11:30:08 PM »
no doubt logitech extreme pro has a great grip, but i still like my new CH fighterstick much better overall

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 01:03:09 AM »
I went through an x45, x52, and x52pro in about a year. I'm now have had a ch setup for 9 months and haven't looked back. Still not use to the rudder pedals. I guess 12 years of twisty stick is hard to wash out.

I think it is at least once a week that some one posts a topic about Saitek. I truly wish they would get their act together.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 01:04:53 AM by Getback »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 01:25:21 AM »
Fixed my X52 by buying a Cougar HOTAS  :rock

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 01:47:44 AM »
Saitek suck :mad: I miss my beautiful Microsoft Sidewinder :cry
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 02:05:17 AM »
Saitek suck :mad: I miss my beautiful Microsoft Sidewinder :cry

I still have my SW FF as backup. Old reliable.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline DMBEAR

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • JG2 Richtofen
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 02:33:29 AM »
I have wooden rudder pedals that hook up to a USB port that my brother (TopJimmy- Texas Rattlesnakes) made when he was playing Warbirds.  My 2nd, and current stick is a Logitech Extreme3Dpro.

My pedal wires finally snapped last week, but I was able to rig em up and get em going again w/o a trip to Lowe's.

My 6 Mo. old Logitech has been good.  Not one complaint.  I haven't used the twisty stick for rudder yet.  I don't use the hat switch for views.  I still prefer, and am more fluid using the #pad for that.  I have only used Logitech sticks...

However, I would like a throttle that has programable buttons.  Any suggestions? Saitek looks decent, but I have heard mixed reviews.  CH seems to have a commited customer base.  Help a brotha out

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2009, 03:28:34 AM »
If you're looking for reliability CH is the way to go.  Those products are built to last and aren't very buggy like the X52 seems to be.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 04:33:39 AM »
I went from CH to Saitek 10 years ago and never did regret that move.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman