Author Topic: Death (murder) of a Saitek  (Read 1339 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: Death (murder) of a Saitek
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 04:40:36 AM »
I went from CH to Saitek 10 years ago and never did regret that move.

As far as feel goes, saitek might have an edge up on CH.
As far as reliability goes, CH has the edge on saitek.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 06:26:20 AM »
Still flying with my ol MS sidewinder Prec 2 usb.

And still sitting on 3 Prec Pro's in the closet.

Might have to break down and buy one of those usb gameports though. Just to make sure I can keep them working.

Compared to the troubles everyone else goes though, (rolls eyes) well, lets just say I am not switching anytime soon.

Offline Tr0jan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 06:26:37 AM »
I fixed mine by tying the USB cord to my back bumper and driving to the store to get a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.  Not the best in the world, but it has the most comfortable grip and has put up with daily use for about 3 years.

I use the 3D Pro, i need a new one.. my rudders all over the place all the time (even after cali)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 06:38:50 AM »
As far as feel goes, saitek might have an edge up on CH.
As far as reliability goes, CH has the edge on saitek.

I didn't go from CH to Saitek for the feel alone ;)

I stated with Ch long ago, had 2 sticks that didn't last long enough to justify the high price. Had 2 Cyborgs and a very cheap, used X45 before upgrading to a X-52pro.
First Cyborg was wrecked during a move, the second one lasted for 5 years... not bad for a cheap stick.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline lazydog

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 08:07:38 AM »
welp no need to ask about the problems i'm having with my X52 lots of answers right here.... a new $100 paper weight

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 09:37:14 AM »
CH  FTW!
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline xtyger

• Nickel Member
      • Fred's Humboldt Blog
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2009, 09:45:50 AM »
My very first JS was a saitek 290 pro I got at WalMart for 20 bucks and the trigger developed a dead spot in it, in less than a month. Saitek looks good but i'm very disappointed in their products.

The trigger on the first two Saitek 290s I bought broke in a month (to the day, it seemed). They have a two year warranty and Saitek sent me a Cyborg stick as a replacement one time. That worked ok but, seems to me, something broke on it after about 3 months. It might well have been the trigger button again as I don't recall the exact reason I remapped the stick so I wouldn't use the trigger button so much.

I used to use the trigger for firing all guns, with buttons on the back for individual firing of the #1 and #2 guns. I switched it so the trigger button fires just the #1 gun- something I don't fire by itself that often. Now my trigger button lasts forever.

Problem is one thing or another breaks down on the Saiteks after a few months. I've probably been through 8 of the dang things in the last year and a half to two years. The one I'm using now is still plugging along after maybe six months. That has to be a record for me. Then again, the stick has gotten so loose, with so much play in it it's gotten really hard to control the gun sight when aiming at smaller targets.

Time for a new one. They need to make their sticks more durable.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2009, 09:55:43 AM »
I went through an x45, x52, and x52pro in about a year. I'm now have had a ch setup for 9 months and haven't looked back. Still not use to the rudder pedals. I guess 12 years of twisty stick is hard to wash out.

I think it is at least once a week that some one posts a topic about Saitek. I truly wish they would get their act together.

It seems rather clear to me that a durable joystick and throttle costs about twice what Saitek's selling the X-52 for. Broken switches and calibration issues seem to be the norm with the X-52 (Pro), while CH gear always gets high praises. You get what you pay for.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2009, 10:01:14 AM »
NB said it best.  I've been using Ch products for as long as NB.  There is a player in the game that is using my old Ch Hotas (analog)
at this time.  It runs off a gamecard.

Here is a hint when and if you go Ch.  I prefer the 586 combatstick USB.  The fighterstick just has one more hat then the combatstick.

If you have the Pro throttle and the Pro Pedals the extra hat is not needed.  The Combatstick is identical in design and is somewhat cheaper.

One can program using Control Manager different configurations for different games.  I use HTCs mapping for Aces High.  Control Manager

is not needed for Aces High.

I wrote in another post how to simply save your change for a Hotas.  Put your change into a can or jar....it adds up quickly.

Once you use Ch you will never use another controller.  Saves a great deal of money and aggravation in the long term.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2009, 10:07:08 AM »
I use the 3D Pro, i need a new one.. my rudders all over the place all the time (even after cali)

Once that plastic inside gets wore out she is done, I am going through one every two years. 

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Sol75

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2009, 10:10:24 AM »
I too, wore out my X52 pro.  Lost one direction on one of the hat switches, dealt with that, now my trigger has failed.  Remapped the fire all guns to a button on the throttle, and, well this has actually improved my gunnery! not sure why, but it appears I was movign the stick when i squeezed the trigger...

But, I intend to order a new stick/throttle setup.  I will still put my fire all on the throttle though!

Here is the site of the company I am looking into ordering from.  Seeing as I fly Jet sims as well as AH, I really like thier selection.  I likely will order the F16 style stick, with the F/A-18E dual throttle.  Still doing research though, so I don't have many details yet.  May just go CH if this stuff is not what I am looking for.  May also consider a Thrustmaster Cougar.

http://www.hirevsims.com/01prod/fltcontrl/fcntrl/misc/misc01.htm

Sol
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P Secret Association of P-38 Pile-its
In-Game as Castiel
Recently Touched By The Noodle! ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!
Pastafarian for life

Offline Barnes828

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2009, 10:32:18 AM »
Me and my dad both use X52s for several years now... no problems what so ever. (we actually have three in our house)

It seems to me that you either love the x52 or hate it. 

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2009, 10:56:35 AM »
  Logitech made a good entry level stick and inexpensive but wore out quick. My CH 568 wasn't top of the CH line but Great stick for the price and have had no problems for over a year now. Wanted the sidewinder but you'll be happy with your CH.
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Tr0jan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2009, 10:58:13 AM »
Once that plastic inside gets wore out she is done, I am going through one every two years. 

I had mine for 8 months then my dad stole mine and gave me his broken one.. just havnt been bothered to go out and get a new one yet.. but hey.. im still landing loads of kills with a broken stick  :lol :lol :lol

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2009, 12:14:49 PM »
Problem is one thing or another breaks down on the Saiteks after a few months. I've probably been through 8 of the dang things in the last year and a half to two years.

Got you beat.  I've bought a total of 15 X52's and one Pro in little less than 4 years.  Of the 15, I immediately returned 7 to the store within a week as they were porked right out of the box.  Either wouldn't hold calibration or some significant physical imperfection.  Of all the rest, only the very first X52 lasted longer than 3-4 months without a problem.  It lasted 10 months then died all at once.  Since then, and in different ways, to different degrees, these sticks go bad within 1-2 months.  Sometimes I can last with them by constant re-calibration for another month.

Early on I sent two of the sticks back to Saitek on warranty.  They did the same thing.  Unfortunately, I like the configuration of the X52, and I also have the problem that my physical condition, etc. doesn't allow me to use rudder pedals or I'd be buying CH.  I've got to have a twisty stick. 
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin