Author Topic: justice for Oscar grant  (Read 4266 times)

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
      • http://www.simpilots.org/
Re: justice for Oscar grant
« Reply #150 on: February 10, 2009, 06:08:29 AM »
While that part in bold is true, it is also true that police are trained to subdue people with non lethal means. Police are trained to defuse situations such as this, and likely do so hundreds of times each day across this country without resorting to deadly force. The use of deadly force was not justified in this case. You are putting the blame for the use of deadly force on Oscar Grant, Oscar Grant is only responsible for his own actions, not the actions of the officer. The officer had no justification for deadly force.

When have I said the cop was justified in using deadly force. You keep making it sound like I support what the cop did. The cop is on trial and could go to prison for a long time for his actions or go free. Thats for a court to decide.

What I do know is that the situation could have been avoided if Grant had cooperated with law enforcement officers at the time instead of resisting. He would still be alive today and been able to have his lawyer suing the cops for wrongful arrest.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks
Historical Air Combat Group

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #151 on: February 10, 2009, 09:49:16 AM »
What I do know is that the situation could have been avoided if Grant had cooperated with law enforcement officers at the time instead of resisting. He would still be alive today and been able to have his lawyer suing the cops for wrongful arrest.

It's the JOB of police to bring in suspects regardless of the suspects actions. They are trained to do this, this cop failed and so do you.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #152 on: February 10, 2009, 10:05:07 AM »
It's the JOB of police to bring in suspects regardless of the suspects actions. They are trained to do this, this cop failed and so do you.

So if the perp is unloading an assault rifle on the cops, it is ther JOB to bring him in without harm to him?  Are you nuts?
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #153 on: February 10, 2009, 12:45:25 PM »
So if the perp is unloading an assault rifle on the cops, it is ther JOB to bring him in without harm to him?  Are you nuts?

Wow.  That's quite a different situation than the one we're talking about, isn't it?

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #154 on: February 10, 2009, 03:56:11 PM »
Wow.  That's quite a different situation than the one we're talking about, isn't it?

I responded to what Elfie said.

It's the JOB of police to bring in suspects regardless of the suspects actions.

I happen to agree with what many have said earlier.  This guy for whatever reason put himself in this situation.  Unfortunately, things progressed in a manner that a mistake was made by a police officer.  If Grant had not been involved in whatever happened, he would not have been in the position to have something dreadful happen.  Too many times, the Monday morning quaterbacking of a policeman's job ends up with destroying more than just one life.  Sadly the mistake made may destroy the life of someone that was trying to do his job.  Trying to judge him on what he thought and how he felt at the time in my mind is wrong.  Without being there and in his shoes, how can we judge him?  Remember, that the videos only show a portion of what happened.  They do not show all of what transpired and going on those alone, is ridiculous.  I for one am done with this thread.
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
« Reply #155 on: February 10, 2009, 03:59:55 PM »

True, but he paid the highest price for resisting when he could still be alive by simply doing what the cops asked him to do and allowed them to cuff him.

The cop was wrong in what he did and a jury will decide his fate, but so was Grant for resisting and his actions caused him to get killed needlessly. Simply do as the cop asks and get your lawyer to do the fighting AFTERWARDS.

Perhaps you don't understand that but there are those that do.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 04:01:28 PM by Tango »
Tango78
78th Razorbacks

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #156 on: February 10, 2009, 04:57:16 PM »
I think we can all agree that the police need to use a measured response to each threat they encounter.

Offline DJ111

• Silver Member
« Reply #157 on: February 10, 2009, 10:40:45 PM »
It's called the Use of Force Continuum
Retired CO of the ancient **Flying Monkeys** CT squadron.

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #158 on: February 11, 2009, 08:44:13 AM »
True, but he paid the highest price for resisting when he could still be alive by simply doing what the cops asked him to do and allowed them to cuff him.

The cop was wrong in what he did and a jury will decide his fate, but so was Grant for resisting and his actions caused him to get killed needlessly. Simply do as the cop asks and get your lawyer to do the fighting AFTERWARDS.

Perhaps you don't understand that but there are those that do.

And so his punishment would have probably either been community service, a fine, or a few months in prison if he couldn't afford a good lawyer.  With a decent one the charges would have been dropped.

Instead he's dead and you want to blame him.  I thought I was done with this thread but people trying to justify the policeman killing him is making me sick.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
« Reply #159 on: February 11, 2009, 08:01:56 PM »
It makes me sick when people don't try to comprehend what they read.

When have I or anyone else in this thread said anything about the cop being justified in shooting Grant? The cop screwed up and it cost Grant his life. However Grant was responsible for his actions leading up to the moment BEFORE the cop pulled the gun. As has been said over and over again, IF he had simply done what he was told by the officers there and allowed them to cuff him, the cop would never have made that fatal mistake.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #160 on: February 12, 2009, 08:23:21 AM »
However Grant was responsible for his actions leading up to the moment BEFORE the cop pulled the gun.

See, this is why you are pissing everyone off about it.  You continue to lay the blame on Grant.  You are wrong, just admit it and we'll all move on.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #161 on: February 12, 2009, 09:19:03 AM »
Everyone should be responsible for their actions..... if grant is not then neither is the officer. The whole idea is at what point were the police required there in the first place. What happened to require them to get out of their cars and show up.

The Cop made a mistake and should be punished from what I saw. But I did not get the whole story.

As for tazers..... I do not like the idea of law enforcement carrying tazers. Now the bleeding heart perps and their families cry foul when one has a heart attack or other ailment from tazing.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
« Reply #162 on: February 12, 2009, 02:06:28 PM »
Everyone should be responsible for their actions..... if grant is not then neither is the officer.

Exactly.

Tango78
78th Razorbacks

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #163 on: February 12, 2009, 02:47:31 PM »
Everyone should be responsible for their actions..... if grant is not then neither is the officer. The whole idea is at what point were the police required there in the first place. What happened to require them to get out of their cars and show up.

The Cop made a mistake and should be punished from what I saw. But I did not get the whole story.

As for tazers..... I do not like the idea of law enforcement carrying tazers. Now the bleeding heart perps and their families cry foul when one has a heart attack or other ailment from tazing.

It'd be great for Grant to face resisting arrest charges.  Perhaps you'll serve the papers...oh wait.

At first I thought this was a tragedy.  After reading of the officer having trouble sticking to one story...well, the guy needs to spend a good long while in jail.

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
« Reply #164 on: February 12, 2009, 06:19:54 PM »
Please stop putting words into people's mouth.

Nobody is contesting the fact that the cop shot the guy and that it was wrong. What is being said is that if Grant had been more responsible for HIS actions up to that tragic moment that the cop pulled the gun, none of it would have happened. He would still be alive and the cop wouldn't be on trial for what he did.

Try to comprehend what is written.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks