Author Topic: Aces II on linux  (Read 2238 times)

Offline 1azbaer

• Copper Member
Aces II on linux
« on: January 11, 2009, 01:07:48 PM »
All the Previous Post's recommend starting a new one. So it it goes.... How about a Linux Sticky?

If you want to get started with Linux, just to check it out, almost all of the Linux flavors have a live CD/DVD that you can create to see if its an adventure you want to take. Just down load the live .ISO CD and create a Disk, then reboot your PC and Linux will run form the CD, when your done reboot, remove the CD and Windows is back. Installation is rather simple, but I recommend you back up your data and create your restore Cd's for Windows before you do try to install Linux.

I have excellent results with PCLinuxOS. Good results with the buntu's (Ubuntu,Kubuntu,etc) only because my hat view doesn't work on my stick. Opensuse 11 and Fedora 10 caused my PC to freeze up. I always try to approach things as typical enduser would and not a Computer geek, so  I try not to compile or tweak things in order to get things working.

Bosson has some excellent info on using Cedege (www.Transgaming.com). You will have to subscribe at for least 6 month to a year.  You can down load it numerous times and you get to have input as far as voting on issues. I have found out that it is Cedege is installed I had to down load engine 6.1.0. to get the game to display right.

I was unable to get the Aces to work in crossover games, a new product from code weavers.
Maybe I will add a page to my web site and post the link here or Skuzzy will create a Linux Forum?

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
Re: Aces High II on linux
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 02:40:25 PM »
Hiya 1azbear,

I'm not familiar with PCLinuxOS.  Do you need to run Wine on it to get Aces High to fly?  I'm very interested in making my next build a single-boot Linux system. 

Thanks!  :salute

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline 1azbaer

• Copper Member
Re: Aces II on linux
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 03:32:40 PM »
Aces will not work with WINE.
If you want to run Aces II in Linux  you have to get cedege. Crossover games uses WINE and only supports a handful of games. Crossover Games gives you a 30 day trial after that you have to pay for it.
I assume you want to do more then just play Aces II (silly thought) I would downloading one of the Buntu's it is more main stream and you can also buy one from Dell! PCLinuxOS has no road map on where it is trying to go. Also whattype OS Stick do you use?

Offline 1azbaer

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 08:49:01 PM »
The last line was what type of joystick do you use, I use a Saitek st290 pro again in Linux the hat views dont work. I was thinking of a CH stick but only if I can find out if the hat views will work in Linux.

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 09:20:59 PM »
At the moment I only have a Win XP Pro SP3 machine at home, running a CH USB stick-throttle-pedals setup. But I would *really* like to get away from Windows. I'm very familiar with several flavors of Linux and Unix from my work, but oddly enough, not one of my employers wants me to load up Aces High on their servers. Only boring stuff like web sites and databases. ;) So I do not - yet - have any experience with joysticks under Linux.  Not yet.

Could you please point me to where I can read up on why AH won't work with Wine, and why it will with Cedega?  (Is it DX related?) Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 09:30:36 PM by Bino »

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline 1azbaer

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 08:39:38 PM »

[quoteI'm very familiar with several flavors of Linux and Unix from my work, but oddly enough, not one of my employers wants me to load up Aces High on their servers. Only boring stuff like web sites and databases.][/quote]

Don't we all wish for that!
 Here is the link I was talking about. BBoson has done a lot of work.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,200777.0.html

Why won't  Aces work with wine. I couldn't tell you.
 I assume like many of us we have lives out side of Linux and this game. I always try to approach things as a regular enduser, so I don't compile kernels and applications. I also look for the simplest answear. I assume it's finding the right combination of Wine settings. With Wine I am able to get the launcher to load, then the window closes out. I have used Linux since Red Hat 6.0 and discovered Lokie games(which is out of business) shortly after X86free was dropped for Xorg, I found Transgaming(Cedege) and have been using it ever since.
 I assume if you submit a volunteer request to WINE, they would accept your help in tweeking Wine.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 01:32:05 PM »
If linux would get a working games support MS would be pwned in an instant.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 02:32:37 PM »
Not completely. The more popular a product becomes in binary-world, the more exploits, cracks, and viruses are made for that product.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 02:42:37 PM »
Not completely. The more popular a product becomes in binary-world, the more exploits, cracks, and viruses are made for that product.

Linux is already popular in attacks since a very high number of worlds web servers run on the platform. The difference is it's inherently safer than windows.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline cos^

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 03:08:18 PM »
Can anyone confirm that AH2 runs with Cedega?

I'll subscribe to both, if it does. On WINE i get only white screen.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 05:14:25 PM »
Can anyone confirm that AH2 runs with Cedega?

I'll subscribe to both, if it does. On WINE i get only white screen.

People have reported AH2 as working on Cedega and IIRC AH2 was mentioned as working on Cedega web page, just not 'certified' meaning it may have a glitch or two. In any case you'll experience much lower performance playing Windows games on Linux so make sure you have a beefy computer.

Offline cos^

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 01:28:25 PM »
I'm looking for first hand information on the current versions of Cedega and AH2.. anyone?

About the performance - actually Cedega causes very low overhead, as it is just a API implementation. Several games (for example WW2OL) seem to run just fine performance-wise on Cedega. OpenGL games may even run faster in some cases.

AH2 is very lightweight compared to modern games, so i'm not expecting any performance issues.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 01:06:16 AM »
I'm looking for first hand information on the current versions of Cedega and AH2.. anyone?

About the performance - actually Cedega causes very low overhead, as it is just a API implementation. Several games (for example WW2OL) seem to run just fine performance-wise on Cedega. OpenGL games may even run faster in some cases.

AH2 is very lightweight compared to modern games, so i'm not expecting any performance issues.

The problem is not Cedega overhead, the problem is that Linux graphics drivers are 20-60% slower than comparative windows drivers, depending on make and model.

Offline cos^

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 03:50:10 AM »
The problem is not Cedega overhead, the problem is that Linux graphics drivers are 20-60% slower than comparative windows drivers, depending on make and model.

Ok, looks like there are some performance degradations reported, although in some benchmarks Linux driver is even faster. The difference is more like -5 to 30%. At least NVidia drivers have been improving a lot, so i'm not sure what the current status is. Anyway a i said, AH2 is very lightweight so performance won't be a problem.

On X-Plane mailinglist there have been reports of even increased FPS on Linux, but it might be because of memory handling, threads, i/o, etc, not necessarily graphics driver.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 04:26:03 AM by cos^ »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 04:53:31 AM »
Ok, looks like there are some performance degradations reported, although in some benchmarks Linux driver is even faster. The difference is more like -5 to 30%. At least NVidia drivers have been improving a lot, so i'm not sure what the current status is. Anyway a i said, AH2 is very lightweight so performance won't be a problem.

On X-Plane mailinglist there have been reports of even increased FPS on Linux, but it might be because of memory handling, threads, i/o, etc, not necessarily graphics driver.

Heh I'd like to see those benchmarks and who made them.  ;)