Author Topic: Building a new system….  (Read 1143 times)

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
Re: Building a new system….
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 02:09:16 PM »
Just placed the order,

Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-920

Asus P6T WS PRO, X58, Socket-1366

Corsair TWIN3X 1800MHz DDR3, 6GB,

GeForce GTX 260 896MB PhysX CUDA
PCI-Express 2.0, Core 216, 55nm

Cost : € 1049.00
(overshot the budget a bit but oh well)

YOu going to have trouble with this memory running at anything other the stock settings on both the Processor and Memory.  Once you increase the QPI (overclocking an i7) the Corsair memory goes in the crapper

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 02:17:56 PM »
OCZ is PC Power and Cooling and PC Power and Cooling is OCZ... same company just different brand names
Not quite TilDeath.

OCZ has thier own design of power supply and had it before the acquisition of PC Power and Cooling.

At the moment, the only change OCZ has made is to label some supplies, of thier own design, with the PC Power and Cooling label.  However, OCZ has not taken any PC Power and Cooling designs and put thier name on it.

All the PC Power and Cooling supplies, from 700W and up, are all PC Power and Cooling built and designed.  They are very different from the OCZ line.

How long that will last remains to be seen.  It appears OCZ is waiting to see which is the more popular and most profitable.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 02:20:58 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 02:20:58 PM »

NZXT Tempest case, has 8 internal fans.

Kingston Value RAM 4gb
The Tempest comes with only 6 fans 2 Front intake, 2 rear, 1 Top and 1 side.  You got a great processor why hold it down with the Value Ram,  Mushkin or OCZ  are my favorites.  Find the fastest DDR3 you can afford since thats the specs on your MB.

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 02:26:12 PM »
Not quite TilDeath.

OCZ has thier own design of power supply and had it before the acquisition of PC Power and Cooling.

At the moment, the only change OCZ has made is to label some supplies, of thier own design, with the PC Power and Cooling label.  However, OCZ has not taken any PC Power and Cooling designs and put thier name on it.

All the PC Power and Cooling supplies, from 700W and up, are all PC Power and Cooling built and designed.  They are very different from the OCZ line.

How long that will last remains to be seen.  It appears OCZ is waiting to see which is the more popular and most profitable.
Interesting Roy, Joel Burzenski (OCZ (408) 733-8400 Ext. 467) my sales rep at OCZ (whom I buy my OCZ and PC Pc supplys) from tells me different.  Maybe  some of the internals are different, but the same facility making them, same company selling the items, meaning what I said OCZ is PCPc and PCPc is OCZ.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 02:32:30 PM »
They could very well be made in the same factory.

However, you only need to plop them down, side-by-side and a it is easy to spot many differences.  All the PC Power and Cooling supplies are larger than the OCZ offerings.  They also use a single exhaust fan design, where the OCZ designed supplies use a 120mm pusher fan design.  The OCZ supplies typically run at around 78% to 80% efficiency, where the PC Power and Cooling supplies run 82% to 83% efficiency.  The heat sinks are larger in the PC P&C supplies, and so on.

They are different designs.

The way you worded that before made it sound like they are the same supplies with different names on them.  Just wanted to clear that up.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 02:34:08 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
They could very well be made in the same factory.

However, you only need to plop them down, side-by-side and a it is easy to spot many differences.  All the PC Power and Cooling supplies are larger than the OCZ offerings.  They also use a single exhaust fan design, where the OCZ designed supplies use a 120mm pusher fan design.  The OCZ supplies typically run at around 78% to 80% efficiency, where the PC Power and Cooling supplies run 82% to 83% efficiency.  The heat sinks are larger in the PC P&C supplies, and so on.

They are different designs.

The way you worded that before made it sound like they are the same supplies with different names on them.  Just wanted to clear that up.
No problem, JB states that they are the same other then a few cosmetic differences (coming from a sales rep).  Never cracked either open to actually look and see.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2009, 02:40:18 PM »
I am keeping my fingers crossed that OCZ adopts the PC P&C design as they really nailed it well.  It will be a sad day if they kill it in favor of their own design, which is strikingly similar to several other companies power supplies.

In the mean time, I bought a few extra PC P&C supplies, just in case. :)
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline RauleDuke

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2009, 03:45:22 PM »
Everyone is probably right about the ram so I'm changing that to 6mg of a different brand, and whoever said 6 fans is correct also, didn't have the stats in front of me at the time, but I remembered it was quite a few.

Also, the HD is a SATA drive.

As for the XP pro vs. 64bit vista, I'm going to stick with the vista.  Most of the reviews I've seen lately blame most of the vista problems on trying to run that OS on a cheap system.  This one isn't top of the line, but it ain't bare bones either.

I'm trying to get the most I can for the money.  If I was willing to spend another $300 to $400 I would go with an ASUS P6T deluxe mobo and i7 processor.

Also, from some of the aritcles I read when I decided to build my own, most people undervalue the importance of a good power supply.  This all started when I wanted to upgrade the vid card on my Dell dimension 9100 and figured out the crappy 375w power supply wouldn't run anything that was worth buying.  Further research lead me to first to the conclusion that updating stock off the shelf systems is a waste of time as is buying another upgraded such system.  Which brings me to where I'm at now, building my own.
Comrade Stalin

Offline Heater

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 03:56:46 PM »
What about case, hard drive, and power supply?

Just upgrading the old system...
Antec Nine Hundred black miditower,
Corsair Powersupply 1000W Black
Drives 2 SATA II 500 GB for the OS (raid 1)  2  STAT II 1TB drives for data
For the CPU cooler : http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=24&lng=en
HiTech is a DWEEB-PUTZ!
I have multiple personalities and none of them like you !!!

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2009, 09:59:49 PM »
OCZ is PC Power and Cooling and PC Power and Cooling is OCZ... same company just different brand names

Yep, but they compared them as if they were different. So are they both made at the same location?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline drdeathx

• Silver Member
      • [URL=http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/?action=view&current=woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg][IMG]http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq77/AAdeath/th_woodland-critters-christmas-1024x76.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 01:26:59 AM »
Just placed the order,

Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-920

Asus P6T WS PRO, X58, Socket-1366

Corsair TWIN3X 1800MHz DDR3, 6GB,

GeForce GTX 260 896MB PhysX CUDA
PCI-Express 2.0, Core 216, 55nm

Cost : € 1049.00
(overshot the budget a bit but oh well)

Operating system? If your using XP which makes 6G ram too much. XP(32  bit) will only utilize about 3G so if you go XP see if you can delete 2G from the order. The Antec 900 will be a bit "snug" with the card.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 01:33:56 AM by drdeathx »
See Rule #6

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 02:25:07 AM »
Hahahahaha! i7  :aok
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 02:31:01 AM »
Heater are you adding a RAID controller card? Motherboard controllers stink worse then ... (thinking three day old catfish guts) and wont deliver full speed. Why RAID1? Of course if its for AHII you dont need so much speed but I have other programs that can use more speed and I found RAID0 to be best especially with velociraptors.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Heater

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 02:58:06 AM »
Heater are you adding a RAID controller card? Motherboard controllers stink worse then ... (thinking three day old catfish guts) and wont deliver full speed. Why RAID1? Of course if its for AHII you dont need so much speed but I have other programs that can use more speed and I found RAID0 to be best especially with velociraptors.
Was thinking about that (raid Controller).... I may even just skip it all together as I am planning on setting this up using a bootmanager as I will be setting up 4 diffrent OS's on this thing... and I normally end up reinstalling once or twice every few months anyway...
HiTech is a DWEEB-PUTZ!
I have multiple personalities and none of them like you !!!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2009, 06:41:50 AM »
Yep, but they compared them as if they were different. So are they both made at the same location?

They could be made in the same factory, but they are different designs.  Just like Ford builds a Taurus and Mustang in the same factory.

I cannot confirm nor deny the manufacturing location for either OCZ or PC P&C supplies.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese