Author Topic: Thoughts on the P-47N  (Read 4267 times)

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
Re: Thoughts on the P-47N
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2009, 10:46:24 PM »

Anyone have a firm idea on what kind of performance we could expect out of the M? A little better than the N?

A little better?  NO..  see the charts below (show M and N)

wep climb nearing 4,000fpm at sea level.

400mph at only 10K, peaking at over 470 at around 32k

and these numbers are at FULL internal fuel.

TEXT DATA

400 mph at 10,000 feet,
453 mph at at 25,000 feet,
470 mph at 30,000 feet

climb rate under WEP:
3750 feet per minute at 5000 feet
3150 feet per minute at 20,000 feet

weights:
10,432 pounds empty
13,275 pounds normal load
15,500 pounds maximum

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:03:34 PM by Wingnutt »

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2009, 10:52:29 PM »
We have enough planes for the MA already in my opinion.

What we do however have a lack of is early to midwar aircraft that are needed to fill out planesets in Scenarios.

We end up substituting aircraft usually to fill out a Scenario.

The list is long.

No russian bombers of any nature.
We need the Betty and the He111.
JU52
Brewster Buffalo played a significant role in the PAC and Burma theaters.  And don't forget the Finns!
and so on and so on.  The list as I said is long.

Many war winning aircraft and ground vehicles need added to our inventory for special events.

I'll bet early war aircraft will be added before we see the M series Jug.

We have 4 models of the Jug already.  109s out the patootie!
Japanese fighters could be added.  Russian fighters for sure.
Spitfires...hell we have more then enough models.

Our Scenarios will never be complete without them.
Bristol Beaufighter.  Flew in north Africa by the Brits and elsewhere also by the US as well as the RAAF and the New Zealand and he SAAF.
Our next Scenario is going to be in North Africa.  Not one Beaufighter will be in the Scenario.

The list goes on and on.  What...maybe between 200 and 250 CHogs saw service.  Same with TA152s.

We have a great Battle of Britain Scenario and not one He111 is there.  A travesty.  It was the LWs' most widely used bomber of the war
at that time.  Ever try catching Ju88-4s with a Hurri and a SpitI?  I believe a limited number of Ju88s entered BoB but the model number
I'm not sure of.

Let's patch the GAPING holes in the planeset.  We have enough uber rides in the MA that probably two out of three planes you see
when flying are some kind of spitfire or a P51.  Coming in Next 109K4, La7 and D9.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2009, 10:57:27 PM »
scenario?  :P

adding the M would be FAR easier than building entire new aircraft from scratch.

so you have an aircraft that is relatively easy to add, and would ACTUALLY GET USED on a daily bases by more than a handful of people.

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2009, 10:59:25 PM »

two out of three planes you see
when flying are some kind of spitfire or a P51.  Coming in Next 109K4, La7 and D9.

and adding a bunch of low performance "scenario" rides is not going to fix that.

at least the M will add another COMPETITIVE option to help dilute the overused uber rides .

If you look in the arenas.. what you see?  about 80% of the entier player base in the MAs..   so  yea, lets add planes that are out of place and wont get used there, lets not add something that the vast majority of players MIGHT ACTUALLY CONSIDER FLYING.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:01:18 PM by Wingnutt »

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2009, 11:03:22 PM »

What we do however have a lack of is early to midwar aircraft that are needed to fill out planesets in Scenarios.

The list is long.

JU52
Brewster Buffalo played a significant role in the PAC and Burma theaters.  And don't forget the Finns!

Well said! :aok
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2009, 12:18:49 AM »
EDIT: I just checked. Your K/D ratio in the P-47D11 was 6-28 last tour and is 20-5 this tour. That kind of progress in that timeframe, I got to strongly suspect PEDs. Pass some over here... :devil

lol. I wish I knew how I suddenly got good. The only thing im doing different is I've been doing homework while im not actively fight.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2009, 01:17:18 AM »
If you look in the arenas.. what you see?  about 80% of the entier player base in the MAs..   so  yea, lets add planes that are out of place and wont get used there...

I don't know if you've ever noticed, but on Friday nights, there are more people in the Special Events Arena than in either of the LW Mains.  There are players who basically fly nothing but special events--snapshots, scenarios, FSO--they never touch foot in the main.  So don't be so obtuse about this one aircraft.  What's the hurry?  All in due time.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2009, 03:49:49 AM »
Any aircraft should climb better with the fuel of a drop tank held internally instead.  Since the P-47's climbrate is glacial, I also don't take them.
True in principle, not in practice.
The drag from the DT has an increasing influence with speed. Since you climb at a rather low speed ~180 mph (unless you go for a shallow 250 mph climb), the effect is truly minimal. The center DT on the jug is just enough to bring you to your desired alt in the kft teens. If you plan a long cruise to the target then yes, internal fuel will make a difference. Otherwise, DT is better.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2009, 11:39:44 AM »
I don't know if you've ever noticed, but on Friday nights, there are more people in the Special Events Arena than in either of the LW Mains.  There are players who basically fly nothing but special events--snapshots, scenarios, FSO--they never touch foot in the main.  So don't be so obtuse about this one aircraft.  What's the hurry?  All in due time.

Right, FSO. I fly in it too from time to time..

its a few hours, 1 day a week and not even every week..'

the other 98% of the time, the MA gets the vast majority of the attention.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2009, 12:09:12 PM »

Yes, you're correct here.  As long as you use up all the fuel in the climb, the drop tank would actually be the better choice, as the parasitic drag would be less than the induced drag.  However, I tend to level off and begin a cruise climb around 8-10,000 feet (~1/2 of the tank still full), hence my statement.  I suppose I should have qualified that.

Other errata...I previously stated that the D-22/23 variant was the most produced version, and this was incorrect.  It was the second most produced version of the D series after the D-25 variant.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2009, 01:40:10 PM »
The drag from the DT has an increasing influence with speed. Since you climb at a rather low speed ~180 mph (unless you go for a shallow 250 mph climb), the effect is truly minimal. The center DT on the jug is just enough to bring you to your desired alt in the kft teens. If you plan a long cruise to the target then yes, internal fuel will make a difference. Otherwise, DT is better.

Not so. You run the engine at the same power, have the same thrust, and fly 2 planes at the same climbing speed. One has a HUGE drag slowing it down. Well you're using more power to maintain that same speed, so you climb at a lower AoA (lower fpm rate) even though you're at the same speed.

DTs slow you down both in level flight and in climb rates. Internal fuel is always better.

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2009, 03:35:30 PM »

The list is long.

JU52

Many war winning aircraft and ground vehicles need added to our inventory for special events.

I'll bet early war aircraft will be added before we see the M series Jug.

We have 4 models of the Jug already.  109s out the patootie!
Japanese fighters could be added.  Russian fighters for sure.
Spitfires...hell we have more then enough models.

Our Scenarios will never be complete without them.
Bristol Beaufighter.  Flew in north Africa by the Brits and elsewhere also by the US as well as the RAAF and the New Zealand and he SAAF.
Our next Scenario is going to be in North Africa.  Not one Beaufighter will be in the Scenario.

The list goes on and on.  What...maybe between 200 and 250 CHogs saw service.  Same with TA152s.

We have a great Battle of Britain Scenario and not one He111 is there.  A travesty.  It was the LWs' most widely used bomber of the war
at that time.  Ever try catching Ju88-4s with a Hurri and a SpitI?  I believe a limited number of Ju88s entered BoB but the model number
I'm not sure of.

Let's patch the GAPING holes in the planeset.  We have enough uber rides in the MA that probably two out of three planes you see

+1!

MA hoarders wouldn't understand, but there's alot of people that play for the Special Events. I too agree we need holes filled before we get more "uber" rides
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2009, 03:39:26 PM »
I nearly always use 75% in N, (as opposed to 50 and a drop) use main on climbout, SOLELY because when furballing I get a 'main-fuel' hit about every 3rd run...having some added weight in wings beats the crap out of walking=====(if I think about it, I burn off wings, as aux is good for 10 min or so I think) Above 5k (but less than 10k) it's faster than a Lgay, on deck faster the others, save D9, tiffie...mebbbe 51. It is a bit less nimble than D40, LOTS less than 11, but the range jugs are in for such things, esp down low makes that difference moot, I think. The N can survive low in a numbers-negative situation (with WEP available), the others can't (well, unless they are piloted by 4-5 guys who I can think of :salute)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2009, 03:54:53 PM »
Above 5k (but less than 10k) it's faster than a Lgay

This is incorrect for the LA-7. Check out Dokgonzo's chart. In fact, it's just about at 10k that the P-47N with WEP becomes faster than an LA-7, maybe that is what you meant.

The P-47N with WEP is faster than the LA-5 with WEP at all altitudes, which I found surprising.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2009, 05:12:53 PM »
im in for the m :aok simple add on , easy fix to the 150 octane group, and i would love to go fast with all those guns :aok
Flying since tour 71.