Author Topic: Trainners, vets and guys who know what they are doing  (Read 710 times)

Offline Nightshift82

• Nickel Member
Trainners, vets and guys who know what they are doing
« on: January 14, 2009, 05:16:01 PM »
I'd like some insight on how I can improve myself with ACM (other than my gunnery, I know that needs work lol).
Just a flight I filmmed tonight in the blue arena.

http://www.speedyshare.com/129536432.html
Night5  
First tour: 55  (If anyone cares.......)

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
Re: Trainners, vets and guys who know what they are doing
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 05:37:37 PM »
Honestly, you did very well. I would have had a very hard time against three of them. All of them had poor aim, so you were lucky there. Your aim is not horrible, you hit from 600 which is a check in my book, and you hit him hard. two things to point out:

1. your SA was not great, but not bad also. When you were fighting the LA, you should have been looking around, and making sure that you weren't about to get picked or killed. SA is like driving a car, you are always looking in the rearveiw, so that you don't get hit behind.

2. Right around 5:34 in the film, you were reversing a spit16. When you were that low and slow, you should have cut the throttle a little bit, and that would have given you a good snapshot.

Hope that helps <S>
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 05:38:56 AM »
First shot opportunity on the La7: You could have made it if you'd lined up and pushed the nose aside to have the right lead... Then let the rudder go.. the nose will come back on target for the shot.  Alternatively, you can bank (e.g. left) ~45deg and rudder the nose slightly to the right, which would move the cockpit out of the way and give you a clear (except for cockpit bars) sight of both target La7 and gunsight.

30" and on.. You are too close and too lined up (on his six) with the La7. You need to put yourself in more deflective position for the easy shot, and to avoid overshooting him (with your plane, not the guns), which you almost did.
40" Good shot opportunity, almost as it should be done.  Bit more anticipating would have been nearly perfect.

48" An easier way to make this shot would have been wings level. You added some lateral deflection here that's not needed and makes the shot more difficult. It also puts your guns out of plane with the target, which makes it more likely your bullet stream flies around despite the gunsight being aimed correctly.

1'23" Almost overshot.. Still just a tad too close.. And you're getting near to too little E with this plane setup: La7 vs P47 will leave your P47 dead in the water when you're on the deck and out of speed, and co-e.  By 1'25" you're saddled point blank but don't have your flaps out for what's nearly a stall fight where you need to pull some lead and take the killshot before the La7 leaves you in the dust with its superior agility and acceleration. Or...

1'43" go up for a quick yoyo to reset the shot setup, but because you commited to saddling up so close, you're barely flying after looping over him and miss the shot as he flat turns in front of you.

1'52" You shouldn't be throttling back on the way up that maneuver. Not in these circumstances.. Unless you're very sure you can spare the advantage.

2'01" Need to work your gunnery a bit :)  Setup is good, better gunnery is all your missing. Using the rudder to make your snapshot burst rake the target for a bit longer (2-3x as long if you do it right), and/or maybe with a bit of bank so that the elevators can help too, would be perfect.
---

2'23" You made an evasive, that's good, but it was predictable.  You should (esp. in this situation: high speed, higher pony bouncing, and you in a low&slow 47) roll into some sort of non-linear (from the attacker's pov) evasive, e.g. that same flat turn and then an upward bend just as he's going to shoot. It would have thrown off that La7 coming for a HO, too.

2'30" Good counter-attack.
2'34" Another shot but you can't really afford so many corrections and repeats like this, it drains your E which is not what a 47 can really afford.

3'00 There's a spit coming, gotta work your SA a bit. It's coming straight at you from 3K out, plenty of time to spot it.

3'21 I would have reversed for the spit asap. You're delaying the engagement while not gaining anything, whereas he's still in a shallow dive: he keeps his position advantage and gains even more speed... Then again you could drag to that friendly as you did, using him as bait. But you have to make it count, otherwise you make the odds even worse for yourself once the friendly dies from the extra con you brought to him.  As the spit and 51 were going for the friendly, you could have spliced your trajectory into theirs, bringing you into a dead-6ish position on both of them.

4' Gotta work the gunnery.. That spit should be dead three times over.
4'03  Don't worry about the 51 so much.  The spit is a better maneuvering plane and you're very slow. This is your opportunity to pre-empt his evasive by cutting angles into his turn as soon as you recognize it, and finish him off with a good burst. He's already taken a lot of hits, so you wouldn't need much more.
4'12" Yikes.. now you're in a 3:1.. That P51 could have died in the HO if you'd slightly ruddered your guns to him.  The Spit16 should generaly be the prime target here, it's the best stall fighter and is already very soft.
4'23" That P51 gives you an easy shot.. Again, gunnery needs work. You could have at least given him good damage.  Take the shot but don't linger like that.. The spit16 is still on your case.

4'49 Lots of things could have happened/been done differently since 4'23", can't really get into all of em.  At 4'49" you get a great shot opportunity and a good sight of what not to do in the spit's position.. he just scissors right into your guns... 
4'52 You give up the shot on the spit to evade the pony right on your six... At this point, given that the pony is obviously not excellent gunner, you could have probably just twisted around into an angle for the shot on the spit16 (not stickstirring, that wastes E) and gotten a shot on the 51 as it overshoots...
5'03 but you pulled some flaps down and didn't immediately nose down to regain some E.. Giving up the spit16 for nothing in exchange.
5'11 The two ponies are coming in for their shot at the same time, and the spit isn't that far out of sync either.. It's a great test of your timing an evasive.. Those flaps should be coming down and you should be nosing down for speed.

5'29" Opportunity for a shot, but you nosed down too much.  In this situation you should keep the spit in sight and be anticipating his trajectory so that you can have your guns pointed at him, where he'll fly across you, ahead of time. 

5'34" You reverse to the left.  It makes it a harder shot for the 51, but you give up what could have been a lead shot on the spit as you both flat turned.
Your flaps are still keeping you slow, and you aren't using all the altitude at your disposal.  This would have allowed you to turn quicker or come out of the turn with more speed, or both.

5'57 You're trying to out turn the spit at such low speeds and without an energy advantage, and keeping it fairly flat (even if on a shallow climb, which could work out if you really exploited the flaps to the max).  You could have hit the brakes at 5'51", either going up to make the spit overshoot, or down to start a vertical scissor to match the spit's horizontal ones, and gotten an opportunity to saddle up on the spit. 

6'10" A good opportunity to stick it to the pony passing by, but that spit's still right on your tail. Big gamble.
6'12" This upward evasive (ish) can't work. You're too slow and at the wrong angle to really move out of his sights. He can just match your maneuver, with his plane and speed. A better alternative would have been to nose down for some speed and then pull up to setup a shot on the spit's next bend. Roller-coaster like.

6'27" You could have spliced your trajectory into the second 51's run on BBQ. Lucky for you he didn't try to hit you, you were dead in the water up there. Pigtail waffles it.. he was about to get a lead shot on you...

That's about it.. no time to say more, sorry :)

Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 07:37:09 AM »
great analysis moot, very helpful :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 08:14:19 AM »
Overall I thought the flying was very good. Nice use of throttle, flaps, rudder and conversion from one circle to two circle tactics and some nice out of plane lag flying. A lot of little stuff which it seems like moot hit on nicely....so here are a few other comments from a one time look.

1st and foremost why the fixation on the la-7? Once you drive him down I don't know I'd chase him in a jug, he wasn't threatening anyone and the only thing the jug cant do is regain alt quickly. You completely gave up your biggest strength (working the verticals) IMO. Beyond that it seemed like you ignored (or didn't see) the pony or spit early. I've always felt that spacing and timing are very important in "furballing" the jug. IMO getting those reversals in the 1.2 -1.5 range is important...you seemed more focused on the action in front of you. Given the overall strength of your flying I'd say the biggest area of concern is tactical SA so you can maximize what you already have.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nightshift82

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 03:52:53 PM »
Wow, thanks guys.  Helps out alot. 
humble: I get LA7 fever whenever I see one.  Something clicks in my brain when I see them to try my best to make them dead.
Night5  
First tour: 55  (If anyone cares.......)