Author Topic: Why are they leaving?  (Read 9277 times)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Why are they leaving?
« on: January 13, 2009, 05:16:16 PM »
Lately several old timers have put their planes up in the hanger for good. And a few others have said they're close to doing the same. This bothers me. I feel like the old guard is leaving in masses, taking with them skill and class that this game sorely needs.

Most of them say they don't like the way the game is turning. But what does that mean? Is it the large maps,split arenas,hordes,smack taking,hoing, running,toolshedding,vulching,and milking?
Is it all of those things,just one or a combination of things? Is it the negative vibes on these boards. The witch hunts and shade vulchers. Or has the game just run its' coarse with them and they just want to move on.

I suspect they are tired of the gangs and the dogeatdog mentallity of the MA. Folks more worried about ranks and K/D or K/S. I wasn't around for AW. But from the things I've read from them about it, 1 on 1 fights were the norm and all the stuff i listed above didn't exist. They just didn't do it for the most part. I came in as AH1 was ending and it was always a massive hoarde on one huge map. So to me the MA mentallity has always been insane most of the time.

So my question is, why do you think they're leaving. Is it the player base or the game itself.

Lighten up Francis

Offline CAVPFCDD

• Nickel Member
Re: Why are they leaving?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 05:19:05 PM »
i believe mr bob dylan said it the best "For the times they are a-changin"
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace." - Duane Allman

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." Jerry Garcia

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 05:19:45 PM »
Maybe when they go back to the "good ol' days" they only remember the good fights they've had, never the bad ones. I don't know if there was like 1000s of players on each server of AW, but I would probably have to say, there either wasn't that many people playing AW, or they had many arenas.

I always have, and always will like this game, very fun, and always has been.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 05:23:37 PM by 1pLUs44 »
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 05:22:30 PM »
When they go back to the "good ol' days" they only remember the good fights they've had, never the bad ones.

Woah, you can read minds to know exactly what they are thinking?  Amazing!  [/sarcasm]
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 05:23:22 PM »
Woah, you can read minds to know exactly what they are thinking?  Amazing!  [/sarcasm]

When I think about when I first started playing, I only think about the fun I had. I know I died like 1000000  times, and I'm pretty sure I got very frustrated, but I don't remember them, think about when you first started playing, do you only remember the good fights? Or do you remember every time you upped, and got ganged, picked, augered... etc, list goes on for me.

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 05:26:56 PM »
I'm not leaving but my biggest frustration in Aces High is finding a fight outside the ack.

Maps are too big with too many fields. The large number of players is diluted by the map size.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 05:29:30 PM »
uptown, I already posted my thoughts as to why they are leaving in this thread:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,256251.msg3167992.html#msg3167992
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 05:30:35 PM »
I always have, and always will like this game, very fun, and always has been.

You're 16 some of these guys go back to Air Warrior DOS before you were born.
I'm coming up on 15 years myself.

You can't say it will be as fun for you 10 years or so.
The day may come when you don't like it anymore as well.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 05:32:21 PM »
You're 16 some of these guys go back to Air Warrior DOS before you were born.
I'm coming up on 15 years myself.

You can't say it will be as fun for you 10 years or so.
The day may come when you don't like it anymore as well.

I sure hope not  :O

Offline splitatom

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 05:37:49 PM »
i think they need to go back to small maps the big ones are just to big to be used during the day when there is only 200 people in the arena and if it was one there would be 400 people on during the day
i think it has to do with the arena splitting and the size of the maps to hard to find a good fight
snowey flying since tour 78

Offline ODBAL

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 05:44:33 PM »
I believe everyones situation and reason for leaving is different, as an adult it is sometimes hard to justify spending so much time and energy on a video game.  Especially in Dan's (CorkyJr's) case, he was given a second chance to be a father and took full advantage of it, you have to respect that.  Things just run their course over time.  I don't enjoy this game as much as I did when I started, and that was just 6 months ago.  That is perhaps no fault of the game itself, when I began playing AH many of my expectations were predicated on my memories of Air Warrior, which, in my opinion had a better overall community than AH (As far as less bickering, fewer accusations, and fewer people trying to cheat the system).  Again, just my opinion on that.  Whatever the reason, good luck to you Raptor, it appears you have made many great contributions to this community in your time here.
ODBAL

39th FS "Cobra in the Clouds"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Armed & Lubricated)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 05:48:24 PM »
The general poor play was mentioned by the last three that left.

I know Dan has a new son that requires alot of attention and he has been working on a book that he wants to get finished.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 06:04:55 PM »
The general poor play was mentioned by the last three that left.

That's the main reason why I've been thinking over the last few days of hanging it up myself.  The desire is no longer there, which is what led to my leaving SAPP.

For me, it has nothing to do with any real life issue and everything to with what I see as the decline of the game play.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline JB11

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 06:12:35 PM »
I remember the AW days.  I started playing when it was AWIII on Kesmai.  So, I really didn't have much AW experience.  PO because PK was taken with the Grave Diggers!!  I do remember it being alot of fun.  Stopped playing FS's for awhile, only to find out that AW was gone when I attempted to come back.  So, I end up catching this commercial on Discovery Wings one day and said "Oh yes, it's back on now baby!".  I DL and sign on to find a whole new learning experience as it is not much like AW.  I run into a couple of people, not knowing they are an actual "couple" by the names of USAgirl and Bobby01 of the L.A.S. Liberators.  Yes, I are the noob at this point and they recruit me.  Long story short, I get addicted and play ALOT.  I found that squaddies were on all the time, so always something to do.  Some of the best times I've had on this game.  Then I reached my point of frustration because I just can't get over the "Fighter Pilot" hump.  Everybody is kicking my arse!!   :furious  Well, not everybody.  But more than I'm handing to them.   :mad:  Big surprise for anyone who can guess my game ID in those days!!!  JB42 and hornet36 are not allowed to play!!   :aok  So early one morning (approx. 3 a.m.  :D) after another temper attack and about to give up, Straiga takes me into the TA for some lessons on flying.  Please all Straiga haters refrain from comment.  Thank you.  He continues to teach me all characteristics and dynamics of flight until, "Holy crap Straiga, the suns up!!!".  Needless to say, that squad fell apart and it was time to move on.  But I do owe Straiga a ton for taking the time and getting me to take off the training wheels.  Which brought me to joining the III/Jabostaffel and the creation of JB11.   :rock  Think I just heard 999000 screaming from a distance.  At this point the game is flying along and we are having a blast.  This squad is well organized and could advance on a map very fast.  Not to take anything away from L.A.S. Liberators.  I think we just had alot of fun in that squad.  This one is a little more disciplined and takes alot of pride in what they do and represent.  The main reason I joined the JB's.  Then BAM!! the JB77 incident.  That about put me over the edge.  <swallows a couple of Xanex>  So as far as that problem with the "game" goes.  That's where it started for me.  If you have to cheat?  Don't expect me to do much more associating with you.   :salute  Then all the changes come along, i.e. towns get bigger (harder to capture), more ack (fun police take over), ENY (because whiners about numbers in countries), etc.  I'm sure all the vets know what I'm talking about.  It all started to become a bore to me.  So I moved on and joined Wings of Terror and became ElevenK.  Had loads of fun with these guys too.  Pretty much a furballing squad, but that's just not me.  I'm more of a "Let's advance and accomplish something" kind of a guy.  Sorry gents, that just doesn't happen in here anymore.  Which leads me to my almost leaving the game myself.  I was searching for the "old times" and wasn't finding it anywhere.  I'm afraid it won't be found anytime soon either.  Is it burnout?  Who knows.  So I still play along with the reincarnation of JB11 which has reformed with, the best damn wingman anyone could ever have, JB42 and IV/Jabostaffel.  I'm not saying I'm quitting, we'll just see where it goes form here.  Yes, we will be recruiting shortly.   :aok  Sorry so lengthy, I just get on a roll sometimes.   :D

My .02

:salute 11
Never abandon the possibility of attack. Attack even from a position of inferiority, to disrupt the enemy's plans. This often results in improving one's own position. - General Adolf Galland, Luftwaffe
Proverbs 3:5,6

Offline DaPup

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 06:25:31 PM »
There are too many different reasons why old timers leave and I'm sure it ranges from family to boredom. I started playing AW back in the 90's and moved to AH in tour 23ish. The fun factor hasn't been there for me like it was in the past for about 2 years now, I have gone months logging only a few hours here and there. My squad mates and friends I have made over the years keeps my account active.

Many things have changed in AH since I started playing, some good and some bad, but it's only what you make of it. Hoarding, ganging and vulching have been around a long time, they aren't new. The game's stayed relatively the same but the gamers seem to have changed....There was a time when smacktalk was witty not demeaning...