Author Topic: Why are they leaving?  (Read 9531 times)

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Re: Why are they leaving?
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2009, 09:20:49 AM »
All this is not to say that there are no gameplay issues that need addressing, but the image of a once golden pasture of honorable 1vs1 combat is not only illusory, but also counter to what air combat is in the non-virtual world.  This isn't 1916, ya know...it's 1945. ;)

I get the distinct impression you are not reading posts, because I did not see the ones you are describing. 

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2009, 09:21:33 AM »
Yes, that is what they say.  They have chosen to interpret their frustration as "gameplay decline."  It's almost axiomatic that the last place people look for the cause of their frustration is in themselves, and will frequently externalize the problems they create.

All this is not to say that there are no gameplay issues that need addressing, but the image of a once golden pasture of honorable 1vs1 combat is not only illusory, but also counter to what air combat is in the non-virtual world.  This isn't 1916, ya know...it's 1945. ;)

Well thank God thats cleared up! I have clearly been the victim of some major hallucinations!!!  :uhoh

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2009, 09:22:54 AM »
Let me count the ways.

Lack of improving game play.(I got my p-39, i want and need nothing else)
Lack of updating graphics,sounds and more content.(The newer damage effects keep me happy, sound packs do the same.)
Lack of $ from christmas.(Me)
Lack of time due to children.(Me)

It go's on and on, but you cant blame HTC or the community for anything, as people will and have always done whatever they want, doubly so when it comes to there money. We come... we go,  a new plane gets added, or something gets changed/enhanced, and people come back, only to become bored again later (for WHATEVER reason) then poof, off they go.

HTC makes something, and tadaaa, back again.

Something really needs to be done to push aceshigh2 into a more "simulated" world, for one thing, one engine sound for every fighter plane by -default- is just a big no no. Trying to keep the game download small now,should be the last priority.

Also holding back the eye candy for the few small group of people who dont have computers good enough to run them is downright wrong. Imagine if other game companys had used that same mindset in life "oh sorry we cant add reflective water because 10% of the gaming community cant support it, never mind it could be a option. partical effect's? pssh..in your dreams buddy."

ooopse,ranting..sorry..away i go!

Edit:Im not bored dang it, im broke. ;)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:26:23 AM by BaDkaRmA158Th »
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2009, 09:25:37 AM »
Because we are bored?  Over 5 years of the same game can get boring you know.  You guys are right.  The game play has not changed.  It was not any different in AH1.  What was different was the challenge and it was new.  At the beginning there was a challenge.  After 5 or 6 years there is non.  Its like everything else.  A little change would have helped keep people interested but as long as new guys keep signing up, that is not an issue
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2009, 09:29:26 AM »

It also isn't a war.  It's a game, more akin to a sport.  

You've probably placed your finger on the issue, though.  More and more people are playing it as if it were a war.  Hording, ganging, alt-monkeying, picking, vulching, and flying the most superior aircraft are all great tactics in a real war, and they are great ways to win the war in AH2.  That doesn't make it fun - unless you get some sort of real thrill from swarming a base or being one of four guys chasing an enemy (and I guess it's true that many people do).  Note that real wars aren't fun, either.

As for Dawger's remarks, I disagree with virtually all of them.  While there are plenty of people who live for the cameraderie of squad operations, there are also plenty more who live for the game itself.  I suspect these are the vets who are leaving; those who stay simply to be among friends are still among friends and objectively shouldn't care very much how the game changes - except as those changes affect squad operations (I imagine that they are the ones who complain most about the arena splits).  You can belittle people's interest in mastering air combat skills and employing those skills in mock air combat, but you won't answer the question of why the vets are leaving.

- oldman

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2009, 09:30:37 AM »
... It's almost axiomatic that the last place people look for the cause of their frustration is in themselves, and will frequently externalize the problems they create ...

Nhaa, I dont have to look into myself, its enough to look at some 8 years old graphics and arenas split to get frustrated :rofl
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:12:51 AM by gatt »
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2009, 09:33:47 AM »
Dwager I couldnt disagree with you more. The squad I fly with has a number of the best "winging pairs" in the game (as recognized by others not us). I've seen them land literally hundreds of kills without a loss. As a group of 6 or so they could routinely land 50+ kills per sortie with 100% RTB for the group repeatedly. Not one of those guys is a regular in any of the MA's anymore...most dont even fly much any more. What your describing is in fact the lowest common denominator of flying. The simple reality is that to anyone with reasonable experience what you describe is utterly boring. I'll contrast that with the "best" flying experience of my 15+ years of online experience. I had the chance to fly as a scout in the relatively recent Rangoon scenario, this gave me the ability to use my reasonably strong individual skills in a 1 on 1 context (I'd say I'm a solid 2nd tier stick) with in the frame work of a defined mission. This balanced my mandate to accomplish specific tasks with my individual decision making in a one on many combat environment. I completely agree that within the context of a scenario or FSO type event that this "higher level" of flying does exist...but in the MA arenas this is a joke.
http://www.az-dsl.com/snaphook/Rangoon/

I included the link to my rangoon clips for anyone interested in scenarios or "SA" oriented flying in a true tasking environment. Without a mission objective to balance SA there is no real challenge. Anyone can land 10 kills in the AH arena's at any time with minimal skill...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2009, 09:50:55 AM »
Anyone can land 10 kills in the AH arena's at any time with minimal skill...

This is vastly exaggerated. Or your definition of "minimal" skill is a very personal one ;)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:52:28 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2009, 10:17:04 AM »
This is vastly exaggerated. Or your definition of "minimal" skill is a very personal one ;)

I probably "host" 3-4 different guys a month on average. Obviously most have a specific interest in "dog fighting" and/or gaining a better understanding of what they see me do in an A-20, SBD or other plane. As conversation evolves it always goes back to basic fundamentals and I end up flying a hop in their plane of choice. I might have a film of the last one, it was a G2 hop in MWA, we were furballing between 22 and 25 with the SAPP guys on one side and the blue knights on the other so you had a sprinkling of very good sticks on both sides. I was never over 10k often under 5k and mostly out numbered. At one point I was locked in with shane in a higher F4 and explaining how I was using a 2 circle fight to fend him off while still looking for targets. One tough concept for many is that often your fighting based on pilot as much as plane and position. Now normally I'd eagerly tangle with shane (and more often then not lose) but here the goal was to live not joust. It got a couple of comments on 200 but so be it. We ended up with 4 kills and a 5th shot up but either ditched or still flying if I recall.

Invariably the comments are identical, they are amazed how "easy it is", "wow i'd never have done that", "I never saw that shot"...the issues are conceptual for most. what surprises most people is that lack of ACM involved. A good MA hop flown in that manner almost never has a turn of over 270 degrees at any time in the fight on offense or defense. The real decisions are made prior to engagement not during the fight itself. The issue is to avoid any fair engagement, attack with the advantage and reposition to avoid being at a disadvantage. Basically its boring and after the initial thrill of little interest, but its an essential building block to progress further. Now the number is random and would require multiple hops. It's also gunnery and circumstance dependent, you can always run into a good stick or get unlucky ( a single ping to the radiator on a pony for example) if you push things. There is lies the rub, to really enjoy the game IMO you need to push your limits, the planes capability and the circumstances and that involves getting waxed a lot. The reality is that more and more of the player base is self limited to the above so the truly fun fights are diminishing and more and more often end via a pick...I've actually had a few recently where both of us got picked by higher planes that swooped us vs engaging each other :O

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2009, 10:21:13 AM »
Technically the goal of the game is to take bases, what's wrong with that?

Because too many people believe the statement quoted here, and follow the philosophy that the easiest way to do this is to avoid fighting other people.

Regards,

Hammer
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2009, 10:22:24 AM »
Because too many people believe the statement quoted here, and follow the philosophy that the easiest way to do this is to avoid fighting other people.

Regards,

Hammer

So few words yet right to the heart of the issue.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2009, 10:35:01 AM »
I think the game is better than ever. I don't know why they are leaving. Only they can tell you that. Personally the only thing that gets me depressed are these threads that constantly bash the game. I have the utmost confidence in Hitech that any improprieties will be resolved and that the game will continually be evolved. When I get bored or when I get a bad attitude I take a break. When I come back it's all new to me. In spite of all that hullabaloo raised over the last couple of months over about everything Bish are still Bish, Rooks are still Rooks, and Knits are still Knits.

Well said Getback :salute
"Where ever you go, there you are".
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2009, 10:37:52 AM »
No, 420, I am not a professional psychologist, but I do consider myself an attentive student of human nature. ;)

For my part, I agree that too many people put a greater priority on sneaking bases than fighting, but I put more of the blame for that on game mechanics and large maps.  From what I can remember in Warbirds there wasn't so much base sneaking because the maps were much, much smaller.  Some of the maps we have in AH are truly enormous.  A sequential capture system has to be put in place to prevent sneaking on the large maps.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:41:35 AM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2009, 10:40:07 AM »
No, 420, I am not a professional psychologist, but I do consider myself an attentive student of human nature. ;)

... and, he slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night???    :D
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2009, 10:43:01 AM »
... and, he slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night???    :D

:rofl
gavagai
334th FS