Author Topic: Why are they leaving?  (Read 9493 times)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Re: Why are they leaving?
« Reply #150 on: January 14, 2009, 04:35:27 PM »
Animl mentioned a "GA". I think something along those lines would be outstanding. I've been calmed down and made to take a 2nd thought stupid arguments I've been in by a few. When you have 12yr olds in the same sandbox as a 44 yr old, fur will fly before it's all said and done :lol Mods are good to have, but I too don't see the need for them to hide in the shadows. They should be front and center nipping trouble in the bud. That in itself would be a great start to improving things around here. :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #151 on: January 14, 2009, 04:40:31 PM »
You're one to snipe?   :rofl     You not only PROVED my post, but it annoyed you, so it had truth.  

As TC said, you bit on a hook that was "never there" in the first place.

sigh  :rolleyes: who let him in here?
Lighten up Francis

Offline FlyinFin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #152 on: January 14, 2009, 04:47:23 PM »
lol said like a true HO'er.
is that all you do is pop in and put your little snipes on people?

I think your jealous you don't know what was like when there was no HO'n.
Allot of us in this thread do.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #153 on: January 14, 2009, 04:52:45 PM »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #154 on: January 14, 2009, 04:56:13 PM »
Popeye (and moggy) was a class act. just sayin.

Animl

I think you used to kick my a@@ on occasion too.  I still vividly remember fighting you one day. 
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #155 on: January 14, 2009, 05:04:27 PM »
I'm talking about players in general.  AKAK is at "home" in MW too, so obviously some have found a home.  That situation appears to be in the minority though doesn't it?

Yes we are the "minority" for sure ... and at times, I am glad for it ... it is, as someone described in this thread, a smaller community where everyone pretty much knows everyone else, and for the most part, attitudes and BS are kept in check by the "vets" (along with other who have bought into what should and should not be acceptable behaviour) for the most part ... kinda like when I started 7 years ago.

I have seen, on a number of occasions, a self-proclaimed no-name LW "hot-shot" come into MW and try to infect the MW with the LW "scum virus" and said hot-shot is drummed out of the arena by the community ... either verbally or getting his butt handed to him because he thinks the talent in the MW is not up to LW par.

It's not ...

the maps
the size of the map
the strat game (or lack there of)
the amount of ack and it's accuracy
or any other AH game specific problem

it's the "community" and what is has become acceptable behavior within the "community" that is dragging this game to it's knees ... compared to what use to be acceptable behavior.

Mind you, there is nothing wrong with a little "smack" throw around every once and awhile. For me, the LW is nothing but a cesspool of downright mean spirited and poisonous dialog. Along with that, throw in a constant dialog of whines that are a result of getting your butt handed to you and the reason that you got your butt handed to you had nothing to do with something that YOU did wrong, but rather some bogus made-up excuse to save face.

Why can't people just swallow the fact that they fugged up ... learn from it ... and try again ?

Why must they constantly overwhelm CH 200 (or All) with excuses ?

Is it that embarrassing to lose, that you have to fire some sort of BS excuse or mean spririted comment across 200 so that I (who wasn't there to actually see the fight) might think that the guy that just beat you sucks worse than you ?

Another problem is the need to be #1 on the HTC Home page ... people have now pushed aside the "wanting" to be a good dogfighter ... to gaming the game at all costs (vulching 2nd accounts to milk running arenas in the wee hours of the morning) so that they can get their name in "lights" and for some strange reason, there is a vast majority of people that actually think that those listed as #1 are the cream of the crop for this game ... absurd to say the least.

Dog fighting ... the core of this game IMHO ... has been lost in a sea of gamers and griefers.

MW is my slice of the "old" apple pie, and I pray every day that it does not get infected with the LW mold and spoil it ... if that does happen, then maybe I will be writing my "Farewell" post.

edited: changed "tomato" to "butt" ...  :D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 05:13:00 PM by SlapShot »
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline FlyinFin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #156 on: January 14, 2009, 05:15:30 PM »
Animl mentioned a "GA". I think something along those lines would be outstanding. I've been calmed down and made to take a 2nd thought stupid arguments I've been in by a few. When you have 12yr olds in the same sandbox as a 44 yr old, fur will fly before it's all said and done :lol Mods are good to have, but I too don't see the need for them to hide in the shadows. They should be front and center nipping trouble in the bud. That in itself would be a great start to improving things around here. :salute

Yep would also keep them from misinturpreting there place in the game IE: punting people.
Couple other things would help.
A strait that had an effect.
A Spit16 factory would be defended
No back channel comms
An arcade arena for the youngins
Say a 20degree window for the HO 5-10degree each side top and bottom
Bomb Ride useless but fun
Heck how bout AH3! on an updated engine no more P-3 stuff?  

The old guys are the real bread and butter and if they all go so will AH.

I don't think thats how it will play out. I think a new version will be coming, somthing that will sustain the owners  new family and friends for the years to come ..but hey I could be wrong.
It will depend on HT, but latly I  myself have been thinking of a new career. <shrug>
Some things do get old. Some social experiments do come to an end.

I heard some new #guy on 200 the other day "Hey where are the 1000's of people in here like the add says?"

Well,

Fin

« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 05:27:02 PM by FlyinFin »

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
« Reply #157 on: January 14, 2009, 05:37:21 PM »
I think you used to kick my a@@ on occasion too.  I still vividly remember fighting you one day. 

I never kicked anyone's butt, it just happened to have ended that way. I always saw that winning a long fight was somehow depressing,... it was over. It was never winning to me as much of the fun of the fight. That said I'm sure today you could hand me my butt on a regular basis. :)
Animl (from the ashes of Air Warrior nation) http://home.comcast.net/~animl/

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #158 on: January 14, 2009, 05:41:24 PM »
But none of this has to do with why people leave........

For a few it is a prime example of why to leave.  More and more people avoid a fight.  They come in NOE, either take the base and wtg each other or all die and look for another easy base to attempt to steal.

I don't play this game to simulate a lame whack a mole.

Most of the reason I play anymore is FSO, Scenarios, and griefing toolshedders and misshuns.  :D
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #159 on: January 14, 2009, 05:56:48 PM »
I hear you but as a frequent NOE'er, I have to disagree.  When we NOE and walk right in and take a base in 2.3 minutes, it's awfully boring and certainly not what we want out of it.  The destination is the base take sure, but golly gee whiz, I want the road to be a little rough too! 

<S> bongaroo

For a few it is a prime example of why to leave.  More and more people avoid a fight.  They come in NOE, either take the base and wtg each other or all die and look for another easy base to attempt to steal.

I don't play this game to simulate a lame whack a mole.

Most of the reason I play anymore is FSO, Scenarios, and griefing toolshedders and misshuns.  :D
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #160 on: January 14, 2009, 06:07:41 PM »

As a preface, my schedule only allows me to fly after 10pm west coast time, so if I want to see any action, the LW arenas the the only place to be. MW sounds like fun, but it's a ghost town at night.

I've been in AH since the beta, and in WB since it was in beta as "Confirmed Kill," and I can't really say that the style of fighting has changed all that much in my eyes. Yeah, there's more strat, and there's GV, but the furballs seem about the same to me. The number of HO's seem about the same. The Vulches seem about the same. The cherry picking (formerly called "Many v. Many Tactics", aka "smart flying") seems about the same. The number of 1V1's seem about the same. Pony's still stay fast and straight. Hurri's still stay slow and turn.

The two big changes I see since I started playing are:

1. The shrill whining on channel 200 about any perceived injustice or problem.

2. There's a scoreboard and a leaderboard.

The first creates immediate problems that everyone can immediately understand, and it detracts from the game's "Quality of Life" like graffiti tagging on a neighborhood building.

The second creates an insidious problem that encourages players to "game the game" for a good score at best, or perform dishonest acts like vulch shade accounts in MW in the dead of night at worst. At the very least, it encourages that half of the playing audience who care about score to land their kills via any tactic possible (HOs, run away when not flying in a horde, etc.), while the other half just flies and dogfights until they're dead, with basically no middle ground.

So here are my modest proposals to improve the overall gaming experience in AH.

1. No more scores. No more leaderboard.

Sure, let the servers keep track of this for the purposes of commanding the CV, and sure, let players see their own stats, BUT DON'T LET ANYONE SEE ANYONE ELSE'S SCORE. DON'T LET PEOPLE SEE WHAT THEIR RANK IS COMPARED TO ANYONE ELSE. Keep the individual "who killed who" pages to keep everyone honest, but that's it.

When there's no reason to lie, cheat, steal, claw, run, HO, and vultch your way to the top of the standings, there will be a lot less if it.

2. Announce who killed who as it happens, in semi-realtime, sort of like how WB used to, regardless of whether you live or not.

This would provide instant gratification to those who dogfight who like to see their name "up in lights" but wouldn't require what some perceive as cowardly "running away in the face of multiple enemies." Messages could be like:

SHAWK landed kills of LLAMA, Agent360, and DoubleD

or

LLAMA was killed, taking WingOver, Condor, and Aztec with him

3. Employ a non-automated whine-abatement program on CH200.

Cities paint over graffiti to improve citizens' quality of life. Most whines on CH200 are the same thing - oral graffiti -and it detracts from everybody else. Deputize certain players with the authority to issue warnings, and then mute, and then kick, players repeatedly polluting CH200 with whining. As time passes, you'll need LESS policing, not more.

Suggestion 1 requires 20 minutes of programming.

Suggestion 2 requires a few hours, I'd guess.

Suggestion 3 requires real effort and has real pitfalls, but I think it's worth it.

I bet all three would change things for the better around here.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #161 on: January 14, 2009, 06:08:08 PM »
I hear you but as a frequent NOE'er, I have to disagree.  When we NOE and walk right in and take a base in 2.3 minutes, it's awfully boring and certainly not what we want out of it.  The destination is the base take sure, but golly gee whiz, I want the road to be a little rough too! 

<S> bongaroo

You're saying the road is the destination?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #162 on: January 14, 2009, 06:12:53 PM »
You're saying the road is the destination?

as if its not obvious to a 5 year old.  He is saying nobody wants to just walk over a base, its boring.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #163 on: January 14, 2009, 06:13:52 PM »

I think your jealous you don't know what was like when there was no HO'n.
Allot of us in this thread do.

Funny thing is every time I've ever run into you in the MA, you do either one of two things.  You'll either run (which is most of the time) or HO if you can't run. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #164 on: January 14, 2009, 06:21:26 PM »
Mods are good to have, but I too don't see the need for them to hide in the shadows. They should be front and center nipping trouble in the bud. That in itself would be a great start to improving things around here. :salute

The problem with that is as a Visable mod you end up ansering questions,hearing thousands of whines,getting your calls broadcasted and flamed on the bbs , along with no time to enjoy the game. (you have to have a shade account just to keep your sanity ) My opinion from Mod exp in another game.
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation