Author Topic: Recommendations for a Virtual Machine setup?  (Read 364 times)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Recommendations for a Virtual Machine setup?
« on: January 13, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »
Anyone used the Virtual PC 2007 from M$...The only reason I am asking is because it is FREE!
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
Re: Recommendations for a Virtual Machine setup?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 02:30:35 PM »
I am only familiar with VMware and no problems with that.  I don't know of anyone using the M$ virtual, and if its free and VM cost's $ I cant figure out why anyone is using VM over MS's.  Kinda gives me a red flag idea.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 10:03:27 PM »
I downloaded it and it gave me a pop up that said it was incompatible with my Version of Vista Home Premium (32bit) BUT it ran anyway. I am doing it to create a VMPC to give Windows7 a trial just to check it out. However it works fine on my older XP system with 2GB of Ram on a 4+ y/o AMD processor with an old BFG6800OC video card.
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
VPC 2007 Seems to work really well with MS OS's. I tried linux distro on it, and it doesnt like it - wouldnt boot. If you want it for non MS operating systems try virtual box by Sun - that works well too, and free.

I have a Q6600 and 4 Gs of RAM, and it runs very nicely. Another prob is that it only ever assigns one core to the VM and you cant seem to change that. Maybe you can, but its not obvious.

Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 09:49:49 AM »
Thanks Spatula I will give the one from SUN a try as well. I have been wanting to play around with Ubuntu (sp?) and haven't had a chance or really wanted to until now.
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 10:10:27 AM »
I have used Virtual PC 2007 to test installing software, however I've only used it to install old Operating systems like windows NT 4.0 and windows 2000 professional. 

Virtual PC 2007 does not support 3D graphics, so if you plan on running any games that require 3D support it won't work.   

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 11:05:35 AM »
Nope not games just applications and general user enviroments to test how it will work or if it will work with our business software and home applications as well. I have gotten bumped up to general tester flunky at work to help make out IT decisions a little more cost effective so I need this for work and to do whatever CHEAPLY.
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 11:40:30 AM »
It's good way to test installing software on a clean machine.  What I've done in the past is installed the OS i'm interested to the VM.  Once it's installed you can save it's virtual hard drive to another location for safe keeping.  Then after you install some software on it you can copy the virtual hard drive back over the existing one and it's back the way it was originally so you can test another application without having to reinstall the OS. 

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 01:25:54 PM »
vmware client that enables you to run virtual windows, linux etc. images is free (in case someone didn't know this).
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 02:57:13 AM »
Thanks Spatula I will give the one from SUN a try as well. I have been wanting to play around with Ubuntu (sp?) and haven't had a chance or really wanted to until now.

that's what tried to do, but ubuntu didnt work with vpc07, so i used virtual box :)
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group