Author Topic: Why are they staying?  (Read 6496 times)

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
Re: Why are they staying?
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2009, 08:37:02 PM »
Sorry this base sector is full, Please up from another base message.

Ha, that is funny, I forgot all about that!!
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2009, 08:43:08 PM »
Partly I stay because I still find that same excitement. Often I find it in someone new to the game who has much to learn.If I can help them for half an hour, get them headed up the right path, and share some of that same thrill. Well, life is good.

Partly because unlike a game that is static, that never changes. AH is very very much alive. It has a different feel to it with each year passed and each new plane released. Each new terrain brings out new tactics and techniques.
Look at how much just the wirblewind changed gameplay!

Partly because I have been incredibly blessed with a very very good bunch of people to fly with.
Not just my squadmates, although they are top notch, and I can't say enough good things about the 332nd Flying Mongrels.  But also the other people, those I fly with, and against.

Sure there are flys in the ointment somedays. And somedays I deal with frustration, mostly that I can't fly like I used to. But hey, its 30 below up here in Dakota this morning. Can't do much in that without losing parts that won't grow back. Yet in AH the skys are sunny, the planes are hot, and the living, well its pretty dang good. As much as its changed over the years, this community is still very very good. Like the game, this community has changed. It changed a lot with the big influx of ex AW pilots. And while we may have for a time bemoaned the changes, those same pilots have brought a wealth of knowledge and skill, and ideas. It will continue to change as the times change.

And who knows what tommorow will bring?

Rock on HTC you keep on making it and for as long as I can I'll keep on flying it.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2009, 08:43:50 PM »
I have stayed because I enjoy the game. I don't always agree with how some play but its there 15 bucks :aok

I think the Old Guard maybe im one of was use to the AW ways. Only 3 bases to capture, Front shots where disabled. There were draw backs to AW also. Take the Hit Bubble, Sorry this base sector is full, Please up from another base message. I due hope this game doesn't go down the same road AW did.  :furious

Crims

I actually liked the zone limits, it did prevent mass hording at the scale we see in AH today.  I agree with the hit bubbles in AW, hated it especially on the P-38J.  Due to its size, the P-38J had the same hit bubble size of the B-17.  Glad we don't have them in here.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2009, 08:51:55 PM »
Not to derail, but I feel I need to address those bemoaning the lack of good fights nowadays compared to the fond, if often skewed, recollections of the past. By good, I am presuming you mean 1 vs 1s, although in my opinion there are many varieties of "good fights" other than a 1 vs 1s. I honestly get as many 1 vs. 1's as I want in the MA. The secret is to fly an SBD

:aok

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2009, 08:53:12 PM »
First reason I stay.  Scenarios
2nd.  Great guys in my squad
3rd.  great friends I've made through the years being involved in flight sims  (AW) and the many friends
       I've made in Aces High.

Some of the Oldies from AW...AKAK,falcnwing,fencer, sheesh to many to list..TC, Whels, Mute cripes way to many to list.
Brooke....

New ones...my squadmates, enemies and allies like Apar, Wilbuz, ElFugitivo, TeeBeee....again another long list
and I don't want to slight anyone...Stang...Shawk...shee esh i gotta ....the DFC...I'll be typing all night  :lol
ghosth, ROC Roo...SLAMMAH...ghi  GTR   Thunder, Night5  Delirium,  Guppy......Yancyannnnn, jamusta

I'm done, to many to list all fine people who take this venue as it is......a game.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 08:59:14 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2009, 09:04:34 PM »
Here since AH1 Beta Tour 1 (whenever that was) and I don't currently have any plans to leave.  What keeps me coming back is the same reason I enjoy furballs, and air to air fights over other aspects of the game.   

I'm still learning, my fighting and ACM is far, far from perfect and as long as there are new things to learn that make me a better cartoon fighter pilot I figure I'll probably keep coming back for more abuse.  At the rate I'm going I may be decent by the time I'm dead.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2009, 09:07:05 PM »
I agree with the hit bubbles in AW, hated it especially on the P-38J. 

+11eleventybillion

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2009, 09:54:43 PM »
I believe Zazen was just making more of a "general statemet", not specifically about you moray. ;)

Lol... true... just a little too quickly after my initial post.  Pretty sure he meant it that way, since no one else said what I said... but c' est l vie.

"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
To irritate the rest of us!  :rofl :rofl

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline rip033

• Zinc Member
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2009, 07:31:21 AM »
I think AH is a great game. I think the reason i like it is because you cannot master this game. You can get good at it but you will never master it. That is what keeps this game fun unlike other games that can be mastered. The game changes everyday and just when you think you learned something, someone shows you another way of doing it.  :salute
JaCkRiPr

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2009, 11:12:06 AM »
Who was that then?

I've been lucky enough to run into several old sticks the past couple of weeks- only yesterday i bumped into some dweeb in a tempest. :D I've also seen batfink, morpheus, flyboy, hajo, former bop squadmates and several others i have forgotten to list.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2009, 11:55:43 AM »
  For all the reasons everyone else has. Plus there is this weird part of me that thinks if I quit, I would have to face the fact that I spent a large part of the past 13 years or so sitting on my butt in front of the PC. I cant do that..so I have to keep playing!

~AoM~

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2009, 12:35:39 PM »
  For all the reasons everyone else has. Plus there is this weird part of me that thinks if I quit, I would have to face the fact that I spent a large part of the past 13 years or so sitting on my butt in front of the PC. I cant do that..so I have to keep playing!

Amen brother.. the same justification can be applied to why I still root for the Vikings.. except stretch that to the past 30 years.. ::shudder::
AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2009, 07:56:31 PM »
Hogs in the hangar.

"Real" enemy, not drones, to fight.

Vox.  I love vox.  Real time heckling of squaddies and countrymen is wonderful.

HONK!
Gooss
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline Dutchie

• Copper Member
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2009, 05:07:21 PM »
First reason I stay.  Scenarios
2nd.  Great guys in my squad
3rd.  great friends I've made through the years being involved in flight sims  (AW) and the many friends
       I've made in Aces High.

Some of the Oldies from AW...AKAK,falcnwing,fencer, sheesh to many to list..TC, Whels, Mute cripes way to many to list.
Brooke....

New ones...my squadmates, enemies and allies like Apar, Wilbuz, ElFugitivo, TeeBeee....again another long list
and I don't want to slight anyone...Stang...Shawk...shee esh i gotta ....the DFC...I'll be typing all night  :lol
ghosth, ROC Roo...SLAMMAH...ghi  GTR   Thunder, Night5  Delirium,  Guppy......Yancyannnnn, jamusta

I'm done, to many to list all fine people who take this venue as it is......a game.

Greetings Hajo  :rock

I haven't flown in 6 months now, I'm to busy with studies of the advanced staff course of the Dutch defence organization i'm in right now (1 year course). I might be back in 5 months though (be ware of the k4 with "foreigner" on the side  :devil)

<S>!

Apar aka Ducthie