Author Topic: Why are they staying?  (Read 6499 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Re: Why are they staying?
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2009, 04:02:52 PM »
Not much really.  Only decent fight I've had in a bit was a p38j vs SkatSr's P51b, I was surprised he stuck around for the fight as I've heard he has a "picky" reputation but 1 good fight out of dozens of encounters is mighty sad.

Actually I find it very relevant, a lot of us value that occasional "good fight" enough to hang around.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2009, 04:04:03 PM »
Waystin,
Like Syko always says about Pigs, "They come and they go" Maybe the drop out of some of these pilots is making way for the new era of AH, might as well adapt and try to be the best, thats what makes this game fun

I OWN ALL JunkyII :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2009, 04:05:27 PM »
Actually I find it very relevant, a lot of us value that occasional "good fight" enough to hang around.
Its easy Snaphook it just takes alittle more smack talk on 200 :rock :D
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2009, 04:08:10 PM »
the drop out of some of these pilots is making way for the new era of AH

forward to death...
-AoM-

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2009, 04:12:43 PM »
Its easy Snaphook it just takes alittle more smack talk on 200 :rock :D

LOL that's funny.  I've decided to do that exact thing.  It works sometimes.  Smack talk a guy into a decent fight.... who cares if he pounds his chest afterwards (this is just a game).  At least it was fun.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2009, 04:39:23 PM »
I'm relatively brand-new to this game  :D :D :D

Good fights are fun, but they don't need to be (and for me, they aren't) the centre of or the objective of the game.

I'm just amazed that so many people don't seem to find any fun or 'thrill' in other things in this game, e.g. just flying to have fun, shooting up GVs in B-25s, driving GVs, flying bombers, intercepting 20K+ bombers in P-47Ns, etc etc.  There's just SO MUCH to do!
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2009, 04:40:43 PM »
Not to derail, but I feel I need to address those bemoaning the lack of good fights nowadays compared to the fond, if often skewed, recollections of the past. By good, I am presuming you mean 1 vs 1s, although in my opinion there are many varieties of "good fights" other than a 1 vs 1s. I honestly get as many 1 vs. 1's as I want in the MA. The secret is to fly a mediocre-poor maneuvering plane, relatively low and engineer the circumstances so as to force an engagement upon or isolate a dance partner.

Certainly, if you fly an Lgay7 or Dweebfire16 highish into the middle of a crowded furball there's not a snowball's chance in hell you're going to get a 1 vs. 1. But, if you're lacking in them, analyze what you could do to improve your chances, because trust me, it's not that difficult to create the fights you want with some imagination, plane selection and tactics. I am hard pressed to find anyone that won't have a go 1 vs 1 vs. my Typhoon, every plane in the set feels they have a reasonable chance of success against it, so I almost never get run away upon.

If you're flying a dweebfire, Lgay7, Niki or Hurricane etc. and are complaining about 1 vs 1's, runners, gang-banging or picking, you're just proving you're an idiot and I'll be laughing at you. If you're good enough to be so picky you feel the need to whine about the circumstances you find yourself in you're good enough to compete in a less uber plane. Then, as if by magic, your dreams of 1 vs. 1s as far as the eye can see will be fullfilled.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 05:09:22 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2009, 04:58:41 PM »
LOL that's funny.  I've decided to do that exact thing.  It works sometimes.  Smack talk a guy into a decent fight.... who cares if he pounds his chest afterwards (this is just a game).  At least it was fun.

Biggamer was trying that with me the other night.  He expected me to zoom up from take off to his altitude at 10k so he could have an easy kill.  When I told him that if he wanted to fight, he'd have to come down to my altitude from his perch.  He then complained how timid I was and that I was a runner, yada yada yada.  When he did come down, I reversed on him with an overshoot and blew off his wing tip and then took my merry old timd killing him, laughing at him all the while.  He then called me a runner but I pointed out that if I was a runner, why was he crying from the tower.  He was quiet after that.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2009, 05:00:01 PM »
Waffle just notice your avatar. Do yall still have a campus?  :t
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2009, 05:01:58 PM »
I'm just amazed that so many people don't seem to find any fun or 'thrill' in other things in this game, e.g. just flying to have fun, shooting up GVs in B-25s, driving GVs, flying bombers, intercepting 20K+ bombers in P-47Ns, etc etc.  There's just SO MUCH to do!

Maybe these people have done that and don't find it any fun anymore.  Some of us have been at this for 15+ years and we've pretty much done all that is possible in these sort of games and the 'good fight' is the only thing that is enjoyable to us.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2009, 05:41:32 PM »
Hanging on by my fingernails.  Gameplay due to player base has sucked wind as of late. When you get picked, in the DA, you know there's a problem. The Aces pretty much are the only reason I stay. guys.

12-13 years now, since AW days.  JB's
>

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl My first and only experience in DA was I was looking to fight a spit with my f6. I found the spit and we had it going on and then I get picked LOL. I posted about it too. It turned into a long thread.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2009, 05:45:42 PM »
I'm still here - working on some cool stuff! :)

Just make sure that cool stuff is a revamped mossie :)

Having a fight or sortie with someone i recognise from years ago is one of the highlights of the week for me. Regardless of the outcome + how the kill arrived it's always nice to have a chat instead of some ego-warrior ranting on ch200 or via PM.  I stay because i enjoy creating overshoots and reversals, i tried earlier this tour to fly sensibly  and rack up some kills but after 10hours i just couldn't do it anymore, i got bored and tired of it.  I've since decided to to fly the mossie for my main ride for a couple of tours.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 05:48:52 PM by thrila »
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2009, 05:49:31 PM »
Having a fight or sortie with someone i recognise from years ago is one of the highlights of the week for me.

Who was that then?

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2009, 05:57:04 PM »
I'm still here - working on some cool stuff! :)

Break out the tin foil hats!  :noid
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2009, 06:07:09 PM »
Been about 15 yrs for me and I still here.  Amazed my wife left me play this long, hehehe.  She is so good to me. :D
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/