Author Topic: Two P-39 duels (Merging)  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Two P-39 duels (Merging)
« on: January 15, 2009, 03:47:27 PM »
Today I was practicing in the 39D in the furball lake because I have to fly the Iron Dog in tomorrow's FSO.  A C-Hog pilot wanted to duel me in the 39 because I was killing people with it and, quote, "I've never seen anyone fly the 39." :lol  I would describe his fighting style in the C-Hog to be:  pull back on the stick until it's slow enough to drop flaps, out turn the bandit, and blast him with the cannons.

Now, I know I'm nothing spectacular at dueling or fighting 1vs1.  I make lots of mistakes.  However, I am ok at getting through the merge without blowing too much energy.  In both of these fights my opponent dropped his nose low before the merge to get under me and get more speed (not quite kosher but whatever), and both times he pulled too hard on the stick and lost too much energy for a momentary angles advantage that he could not use.

Anyway, I haven't seen a thread on merges in a while.  Maybe this can help someone. :salute

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jzdeggdtmmy
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ozwymmzld2e
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Re: Two P-39 duels (Merging)
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 04:19:16 PM »

In both of these fights my opponent dropped his nose low before the merge to get under me and get more speed (not quite kosher but whatever),

watched the films, he didn't go nose-under enough to take advantage of the potential... 

anyway, i'm actually replying to the quoted part above. I notice this merge seems to be the biggest difference between the former Air Warriors and the former War Bird'er camps... in AW going under the nose at merge was standard, while in WB it seems that both flew level and only did anything *after* passing tail-tail.  Seems the two of you are either ex-wb or influenced by them.  :aok  I'd have been a good 1k under and 100mph faster. :noid

I just think it makes more sense (ex- AW after, all) with a modified merge, i.e., "6k pre-vis alt cap, at vis  (dot or icon), anything goes except a HO on the merge.

While the above does encourage going nose under, depending on start alt cap, it also opens it up to a wider variety since there's at least 3-5 miles seperation for something to occur.  To a degree, you see a lot of people requesting deck merges, taking away the nose under option.

Personally I like some air under me as it allows more options and variety.  One advantage of getting under the other guy at the merge, is it allows you to also better track him from your up/back view and respond to what you see him doing, high g e-bleeding turn, moderate g yo-yo, or a blow-thru and grab.

However, in the MA, going to DA closures before making your move will most likely get you a face full of lead, so the merges are often performed a bit further out, but basically the same idea.  A duel also allows one to be more aggressive with follow ons than one might in the MA with the uncertainty of incoming cons.

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 04:30:50 PM »
Interesting considerations.  Fwiw we agreed on a 3k ft merge, he was merely fudging the boundary a little bit. ;)
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 05:55:41 PM »
Interesting considerations.  Fwiw we agreed on a 3k ft merge, he was merely fudging the boundary a little bit. ;)

yeah, if anyting he hurt himself by trading off too much alt for too little speed... but actually, as long as he wasn't over the 3k... meh.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
I agree with this completely...

I just think it makes more sense (ex- AW after, all) with a modified merge, i.e., "6k pre-vis alt cap, at vis  (dot or icon), anything goes except a HO on the merge.

The on the deck merges force an artificial fight IMO...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 07:38:09 PM »
Among the best merges I have used in the MA is the HO (shut up, I'm a good shot in the HO, and they wanted a HO, so I gave them one.) followed by an immelman or a Split-s depending on my E. I prefer the two, because most of what I engage likes to go into a flat turn, relying on the turn radius of their kite to pull them around, whereas the Immelman gets you pointed in the other direction much sooner, and gives you E to dive with. Its like how Rock and Scissors beat paper. :salute
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 02:33:43 AM »
Among the best merges I have used in the MA is the HO (shut up, I'm a good shot in the HO, and they wanted a HO, so I gave them one.)

No offense but I find it both sad and pathetic that you're proud of that.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Hawk55

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 11:09:08 AM »
No offense but I find it both sad and pathetic that you're proud of that.

ack-ack

Right on the mark Ack!   :aok  Unfortunately, it's the norm now.  That's why I appreciate guys like you, Snaphook, Shane, etc. who refuse to take that shot.  I trained with Hammer who taught me to never take that shot.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 11:11:12 AM by Hawk55 »
The Lynchmob-Outlaws--HAWK

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 11:37:13 AM »
Right on the mark Ack!   :aok  Unfortunately, it's the norm now.  That's why I appreciate guys like you, Snaphook, Shane, etc. who refuse to take that shot.  I trained with Hammer who taught me to never take that shot.

well... it's not so clear cut in an MA environment.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 12:08:55 PM »
well... it's not so clear cut in an MA environment.

But when someone says their 'best merge' tactic is to HO, well that's pretty cut and dry to me.

ack-ack

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 12:15:24 PM »
Among the best merges I have used in the MA is the HO (shut up, I'm a good shot in the HO, and they wanted a HO, so I gave them one.) followed by an immelman or a Split-s depending on my E. I prefer the two, because most of what I engage likes to go into a flat turn, relying on the turn radius of their kite to pull them around, whereas the Immelman gets you pointed in the other direction much sooner, and gives you E to dive with. Its like how Rock and Scissors beat paper. :salute

i take it you know as much about the game "Rock, Paper Scissors" as you do about ACM.

FLOTSOM
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 03:33:18 PM »
But when someone says their 'best merge' tactic is to HO, well that's pretty cut and dry to me.

ack-ack
Its not my best merge, rather its the one I get myself into by mistake because I blow my E in feeble attempts to get my plane high enough to get the high pony. As a result, I get some good shots in. And no, I do not like the HO.
i take it you know as much about the game "Rock, Paper Scissors" as you do about ACM.

FLOTSOM
I admit, I do need a refresher on ACM, but rocks can tear paper, and scissors can cut paper, I just wasn't thinking about the game when I said it. I rather meant that you can have two tools for one job.
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 04:06:16 PM »
Its not my best merge, rather its the one I get myself into by mistake because I blow my E in feeble attempts to get my plane high enough to get the high pony. As a result, I get some good shots in. And no, I do not like the HO.I admit, I do need a refresher on ACM, but rocks can tear paper, and scissors can cut paper, I just wasn't thinking about the game when I said it. I rather meant that you can have two tools for one job.

Your previous post says otherwise.

Among the best merges I have used in the MA is the HO (shut up, I'm a good shot in the HO, and they wanted a HO, so I gave them one.)

ack-ack

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 06:02:02 PM »
Your previous post says otherwise.

ack-ack
Bah, I surrender! I will work on not hoing!

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 07:23:56 PM »
Bah, I surrender! I will work on not hoing!

Thats all any one can ask for. The fights are more fun, and more challenging. Give it a go !