Author Topic: Option for Pilot wounds  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Option for Pilot wounds
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 07:49:38 PM »
I think for pilot wounds your screen should slowly start turning black, and when it goes all black you can no longer control your plane. You can then either .ef or wait to crash.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 07:55:39 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, they could get rid of it. Either your pilot doesn't take damage, or he takes one and bites it. (small "hit bubble" for this though).  Would save you fooling around trying to salvage the situation with a wounded pilot.

The nail-polish spill on the inside of the canopy...I"m not saying it bothers me in any real physical way, but when I think about it, its just a little too close to the aspect of combat aviation that I would rather not consider during my entertainment hours.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 05:16:29 AM »
Wait until you get a pilot wound in a gv and you have no chance of survival! Yep had that happen.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 05:30:30 AM »
No way your going to convince me that a wound from even a 20 MM is worse then a severely abscessed tooth.

I had one once, it nearly made me pass out. The pain was like having a red hot needle stuck in my ear whilst at the same time letting a small man with a big hammer play a tune inside my eye sockets. Ive broken more than 10 bones in my life and nothing as painfulll as the tooth. Being shot with a machine gun or cannon round? You wouldnt feel a thing, the numb shock of it would be all you could sense.

Maybe we could go all Wii Fit on pilot wounds. When you start to black out you have to tap a key repeatedly and quickly enough to stop you blacking out. So If you can keep your right hand flying while your left taps the button quickly you qualify for 'made of strong stuff' pilot status and stop blacking out that time.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 08:22:03 AM »
Is fading in and out of consciousness what happens when you're wounded by a gunshot or shrapnel?

rapid blood loss and the effects of shock, quite possibly.

I like the pw effect, gives you half a chance to rtb, the intervals shorten progressively letting you know roughly how long you've got left. helps with immersion too, after successfully landing a beat up aircraft with a pw I usually need a smoke break in the tower to calm down :D
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 10:42:09 AM »
Wait until you get a pilot wound in a gv and you have no chance of survival! Yep had that happen.

If your in a furball and get a PW you dont have much of a chance for survival either.

LOL In all the time I've spent in GVs over the years. I suffered my first GV pilot wound ever about a month ago.
Not to get off on another topic. But I think tank inhabitants, and tigers in particular are much more likely to receive wounds do to IL2/hurricane gunfire then they are having the tank blow up entirely
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 10:48:17 AM »

Maybe we could go all Wii Fit on pilot wounds. When you start to black out you have to tap a key repeatedly and quickly enough to stop you blacking out. So If you can keep your right hand flying while your left taps the button quickly you qualify for 'made of strong stuff' pilot status and stop blacking out that time.

This might work.
Would accurately represent the instinct to apply direct pressure to the wound. Leaving you only 1 hand free to control the plane.
Maybe have it tie into and disable trim and rudder or the throttle while you tap.

Anything has to be better then the way it is now.
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 03:23:57 PM »
I imagine the coders were trying to find a way for a Pilot Wound to motivate the player to exit the fight yet still have a chance at survival.

It would not be right for a wounded pilot to continue to pull 7 G maneuvers nor is it right for every wound to be instantaneously fatal.

And not every wound is the same. I've landed after 12 blackouts and died after 5 blackouts doing the exact same things.

The blackout forces the player to stop fighting so that is a success and you do have a chance to survive the wound so that part works as well.

It may not be perfect but it ain't too bad either.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2009, 10:34:57 PM »
Well put, Dawger. Perhaps some of us are overlooking the fact that HTC didnt want us to fly with a pilot wound, but allowed us the chance to RTB. It does make sense. The only thing it lacks is pilot endurance skill, some way of improving the wound status depending on player input would be fun.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 02:59:33 PM »
Ok
In the case I resubmit the request to have the option to just get killed outright.
The blackouts come too quickly and too completely to effectively disengage from a fight. Particularly when as is normally the case. Your fighting more then one person.

I still say there HAS to be a better way.
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2009, 03:34:50 PM »
Ok
In the case I resubmit the request to have the option to just get killed outright.
The blackouts come too quickly and too completely to effectively disengage from a fight. Particularly when as is normally the case. Your fighting more then one person.

I still say there HAS to be a better way.

Enter Enter Enter.

Pilot wound goes away, along with the plane. 

Next choice:  O or .ef

In your scenario, you're going to die anyway, probably, just a matter of how long you want to prolong it.  The discussion on the pilot wound mechanics and ways to improve it are nice.  I fail to see what you are wishing for to make game play better for you.  You already have the option to use the solution to end your wound misery.  Get out of the plane and end flight.  .ef, plummet to your death, whatever.

Or is this another one of those veiled wishes.... "I'm pilot wounding other people and the manage to RTB, or worse, shoot me down.  I wish they would just die."

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2009, 06:49:57 PM »
Enter Enter Enter.

Or is this another one of those veiled wishes.... "I'm pilot wounding other people and the manage to RTB, or worse, shoot me down.  I wish they would just die."

wrongway

Nope. Just want the PW model to be implemented better or the option of not having to deal with it at all.
I was initially strongly in favor of the PW's when they first came out.
Im still not totally against them or I would be requesting they be removed form the game entirely.
Initially when PW's first came out. you would get wounded. and the head (view) would wobble or gyrate around, then eventually you would start to black out.
Now. You get wounded and a few seconds later you just black out.
I much prefer the original model to the current one. The wobble/gyration effect was long enough that it was too disorienting to fight. Yet left you with time enough for instinctive moves to disengage.

As for other pilots. I havent a clue as to if I've wounded them or not. So why would I even make that complaint?
And I dont see why anyone wold have a problem with my if they are going ot stay the way they are. My preferring to have the option of having an instadeath or dealing with the pilot wounds.
Insta death means Im actually willing to give away a kill.
Makes killing me a bit easier some nights. For example a couple of weeks ago I took 7 flights. 5 of them resulted in a PW at which point I just logged off out of disgust.
I think I landed 2 and ditched near my own base once of those.
Under my request people would have been able to collect 3 more kills on me then they had.
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2009, 07:58:15 PM »
In other words you just don't like being hurt?

Quite the furballer mentality. I've suffered more PWs than most of my squaddies, I'd wager. I've repeatedly made it back over a sector while blacking out left and right and made it down on the runway in between them.

You CAN get back, you just have to stop screwing around in a 10-on-1 furball (whether you're the 10 or the 1) and bug out as fast as you can.

It's not an oil leak. You can't keep fighting "just a few more minutes and I've got him!" you have to break off and run asap.

Just bail. PWs, as annoying as they are, add a much deeper depth to the game than just "alive" and "dead" with nothing in between.

As for your anecdote, it was not a single engined fighter, but a plane with 2 pilots (one to take over) and we have this modeled in bombers as far as I remember. There are many stories also of single engined fighter pilots getting shot in combat and blacking out, recovering barely in time to pull up out of a dive, or recover from a spin, and fighting the loss of blood all the way home. Many stories showed that this happened. I think just removing it because you don't like getting PWed is a bit petty. How's about we remove Hispanos from spitfires? I hate getting hit by those, too!  :D

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2009, 12:58:35 AM »
So If you can keep your right hand flying while your left taps the button quickly you qualify for 'made of strong stuff' pilot status and stop blacking out that time.

...I can't believe the forumites have let a slowball like this one drift on by... :devil
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 01:03:52 AM »
Now, the P-38 is one of the planes with the modern graphics model that is supposed to show the actual damage where the actual strike was.
I saw a screenshot recently that looked like hit location and bullet holes aren't so exactly matched. It looked like there's a symetrical map of possible damage graphics, and impacts trigger the closest one. I could be wrong... But it's definitely strange to have a totaly shot up plane (B25H in the TA) show completely symetrical damage graphics.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you