Author Topic: Option for Pilot wounds  (Read 1847 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Option for Pilot wounds
« on: January 16, 2009, 08:30:02 AM »

My personal preference would be for pilot wounds to be modeled differently Because honestly albeit admittedly a bit sarcastically. I've driven a car while under extreme pain on numerous occasions,freshly broken bones in my hand, 2nd and 3rd degree oil burns on my arm, A badly abscessed tooth, and had not suffered as much of a distraction as we see in game.

Distracting? Hell yes! But not so much that I couldnt operate even in rush hour on the NJ Parkway (where your in more danger of getting into an accident at the speed limit then you are doing 100MHP)

My request is to either

A- find a different way to model the pilot wounds

B- Provide the players with the option to turn pilot wounds off, opting instead for instant death.

The way it is modeled now. I'd rather just die outright.

Now someone is going to Im sure mention bailing.
Look at my stats. Im  not afraid to bail when I need to.
But Im having more good fights ruined by pilot wounds lately. Then I am  finding good fights
Now granted. Many of those fights have been ones I probobly wouldnt have lived anyway.
But this wound followed by near instant total blackout stuff has got to go.
You dont even have a chance to properly disengage. And if your fighting more then one person. Your dead meat anyway.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
Re: Option for Pilot wounds
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 08:47:21 AM »
But have you ever driven to the hospital with two 20mm rounds in you?  Had to jump out of a ditch before the can pops with a broken leg and lacerated arm?

I know, I know, those are extremes....... I feel what your saying but I cant see how that would help you in game......

To top it off with what you said..... "many good fights ruined by a pilot wound."  A pilot death would also, and instantly, ruins that same good fight.

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 04:42:53 PM »
Bail out.  .ef

wish granted.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 05:05:25 PM »
I'd just like there to be a keyboard command that allows you to determine the wound, just like you can determine where your plane is damaged. That, and a meter that tells you how rapidly you're succumbing to your wounds. The current blackout system just doesn't seem to well coded and modeled.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 05:58:14 PM »
Hopefully at some point HT can add some variation to the pilot wound scheme so its not seemingly the same one everytime.

Wouldn't it be cool if a hit on the left side of your plane resulted in a wound that simulated a leg injury an hence no left rudder control, or an arm injury that meant no turn to the left, well you get the point.

I fly a KI84 mostly which seems susceptible to pilot wounds and no bailing isn't the point, the point for me is at least add some degree of wound or variations.  Its too easy to point your nose to a friendly base and hit auto pilot. 
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 06:03:29 PM »
But Im having more good fights ruined by pilot wounds lately. Then I am  finding good fights

I agree with this, though I don't blame the pilot wound for it. Just the other pilots.
But which is more easily adjusted? The pw.
-AoM-

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 07:37:25 PM »
But have you ever driven to the hospital with two 20mm rounds in you?  Had to jump out of a ditch before the can pops with a broken leg and lacerated arm?

I know, I know, those are extremes....... I feel what your saying but I cant see how that would help you in game......

To top it off with what you said..... "many good fights ruined by a pilot wound."  A pilot death would also, and instantly, ruins that same good fight.

No way your going to convince me that a wound from even a 20 MM is worse then a severely abscessed tooth.
Ive you've never had one. but have had a tooth ache. Multiply that pain by about a million
An injury is an injury.
We tend to think it may feel worse because of how it happened.
That does not mean in actuality it feels worse because of how it happened. It doesnt.
I've smashed my finger with a 3 pound sledge hammer
And I've had my finger smashed in a car door.
Neither one hurt any worse then the other.
In fact, often the lessor injury is more painful then the larger one.
Ever had a paper cut?

At least with death. The fight is over.

Like I said. I'd rather have the option.

My biggest beef is with the insta total blackout BS.
There have been alot of pilots who have been severely wounded in combat and not gone into a total blackout where they had no Semblance of what they were doing or what was going on around them.
In fact the adrenalin probably prevented it or at least enabled them to fight through the pain.

When Pilot wounds first came out they had a head wobble then backout thing that got progressively worse and the flight went on.
This was by FAR much better then the total darkness we get now.

The wobble probably best replicated whatever initial disorientation you might have. Yet enabled you the opportunity to disenguage.
Now its blam, red on the cockpit, and 3 seconds later, total darkness for 10 seconds.

As GREAT as this game truely is. The PW aspect of is strikes me as nothing less then being done half ssd.
There has GOT to be a better way.

Took more tie to type the search (about 3 seconds)in the google bar then it did to find thew articles

"With a wounded pilot and a damaged plane, Soeriadarma also found himself in deep trouble: » I saw the aircraft of Tinkelenberg and Troost being shot down. We were now the only plane left and the Japanese fighters tried in turns to finish the "kill". We reached sea level so they could not attack as from below. Lukkien was wounded badly and had lost a lot of blood, but he somehow managed to keep the aircraft under control. He had to switch off the left engine because it received a hit and was leaking fuel. Our gunner had managed to hit one of the Zero's and after that they didn't make another attack. We saw them returning towards their base, probably thinking we were finished anyway. I gave Lukkien my first-aid kit and ordered the second pilot to fly the aircraft to the nearest airfield. I repaired our radio and sent an un-decoded message to Samiranda;"watch for enemy fighters". The fact that I transmitted this message un-decoded later gave me some trouble. When we finally reached Mangar airbase "on one engine and a prayer", Lukkien wanted to take control of the aircraft, because our second pilot, sergeant-vlieger Vermey, didn't know how to land the aircraft. Lukkien flew the aircraft straight in, which was a remarkable achievement considering his physical state. After we had landed all crewmembers ran to the cockpit to get the pilot out as quickly as possible. We made sure he was taken to hospital immediately and that probably saved his life. When we visited him that evening he was already feeling better. During the night a KNILM plane took him to Java."

http://aeroweb.brooklyn.cuny.edu/specs/martin/b-10.htm
"Everyone's skills were put to the test in one instance, when the medevac helo pilot was wounded when a bullet ricocheted, impacting his nose.   

Despite the wound, the pilot flew the helicopter to the FRSS. Once on the ground everyone rushed to treat the wounded in the back of the helicopter.  Yet, nobody had a clue to the casualty in the cockpit.

When the pilot stepped out of the helicopter, "Everyone stops … and stares in disbelief," said Lynn.  The pilot "didn't have a face. I don't know how he picked up the wounded; and flew into Al Qa'im.

"The intestinal fortitude of that pilot to fly those wounded while he was (likely) dying was the most amazing thing I'd ever witnessed," said Lynn, "until we got him into surgery!"

Lynn provided fluid resuscitation and was "pushing lots of fluid and blood rapidly" to the patient while assisting anesthesiology with surgery preparations.

Surgery began with putting the patient's face back together.

"If it hadn't been for the surgeon and anesthesiologist, he would have died right then and there," Lynn said. "It was miraculous stuff."

http://www.navy.mil/search/display_word.asp?story_id=34115

Try page 178
http://books.google.com/books?id=mdXgbvn3TDYC&pg=PA178&lpg=PA178&dq=wounded+pilot+flew&source=web&ots=SyrztFIt0w&sig=DhPHwLeHpnlB9mLd3MBlNCepAno&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=9&ct=result#PPA174,M1

« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 07:39:19 PM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 10:54:04 PM »
Now those are some good stories......  In the end, it all comes down to, and not to sound silly, mind of matter.  The moment. 
Alot of words........

As for your tooth........ I feel your pain.  Tooth wise that is, but in general, it all comes down to your ptt, if any.... Most people wouldn't bare a tooth any better then a bullet wound.  But what it all comes down to in game, is that there is only 1 type of pilot wound.  Your tooth or a 20 mil through the ankle, versus a shoulder (much closer to the heart) is all the difference you need.  Foot's more painful sure, but you'll get home.  So big deal?  Pilot wound makes the game more interesting in my humble opinion (not lazy right now)........

How many good fights are created just because of a PW?  You start to black out in a turn fight, what do you do?  Do you have any clue?  Yeah, me neither.... But darn it, I want to know!!!

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 08:19:37 AM »
What is the obsession with a 20MM wound here? I'm betting the game almost always just kills you if you are hit anywhere with a 20MM, because anything else would be too hard to model. About 90% of the actual pilot wounds result from 50BMG hits at the most, and usually from shrapnel coming off of a direct hit on the plane, not the pilot. Even a 50 BMG round to an extremity will come close to amputating that extremity, resulting in immediate and complete loss of consciousness.

Hell, fly a P-38 on a regular basis. You can get a pilot wound in it and not even be able to find a hole anywhere in the cockpit! I actually landed a P-38 with a pilot wound, and sat in the plane for 5 minutes, looking around for the hole in the plane in the cockpit. Now, the P-38 is one of the planes with the modern graphics model that is supposed to show the actual damage where the actual strike was.

But I never found a hole, anywhere. None in the canopy, none in the floor, none in the sides, you can even see part of the seat. The only thing I could never actually see is the back of the seat, and the very back of the bottom of the seat. So I guess it had to be there. Problem is that is also where the armor plate is, so whatever hit me had to be very large, and armor piercing. And yet it did not kill me. There was blood on the canopy, of course, but no hole cause by the projectile or shrapnel coming into the plane. I guess it was some of that magic stuff the only leaves a hole in flesh, not in metal or plexiglass.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 08:34:13 AM »
Is fading in and out of consciousness what happens when you're wounded by a gunshot or shrapnel?  The way it happens in the game it's more like you're extremely tired like those people in the Pepsi commercial they make you watch as a preview at the movies. :P

A gradual fade to dark would be best.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline FYB

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 10:34:42 AM »
Bail out.  .ef

wish granted.

wrongway
Wrongway has a point. If you hate it so badly, bail out, type .ef and your wish is granted.

-FYB
Most skill based sport? -
The sport of understanding women.

Offline DCCBOSS

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 10:52:26 AM »
Not to change the post subject it got me thinking about how it is applied in differrent vehicles, to exspand to this when in bomber formation, you get a pilot wound shouldn't you still have a pilot wound even if you switch planes, it's the same pilot, when in vehicles you do not get a pilot wound you just die, this may be something to look into.
"Where ever you go, there you are".
C.O. of Rolling Thunder

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 11:14:16 AM »
Well, I figure they assume the pilot from one plane did not just get up and wing walk over to another plane.

SaVaGe

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 01:45:16 PM »
maybe have it so you get tunnel vision that goes in and out

and the longer you are wounded the smaller the tunnel gets before it opens again

and you die when the tunnel goes fully black and blind

that way you can still fly but it gets harder as your vision gets more narrow with every minute
known as Arctic in the main

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 01:51:34 PM »
I think they should provide bandaids.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.