Author Topic: Which internet company should I go with  (Read 502 times)

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Which internet company should I go with
« on: January 18, 2009, 08:45:50 PM »
Just moved to Oh and I have a choice between three internet providers

Time Warner-Cable
KAS-Cable
AT&T DSL

Anyone had good or bad luck with any of these? or Suggestions?
Thanks

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Which internet company should I go with
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 08:47:43 PM »
TWC.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 12:22:29 AM »
I live in the Dayton area and AT&T does fine for Aces High, I cant remember the last time I lagged. But If I had the money I'd go with RR cause I hear overall better reviews about it compared to AT@T and KAS. Also, my AT@T does go down occasionally during the stronger storms that roll through.
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 03:31:40 AM »
I live in Indiana. I had RR for a good while but it seemed to get slower and slower. Then DSL became available through AT&T. I went with that. DSL was 2x as fast and half the cost. When I called Brighthouse they said they could increase the speed. Then I said I would be paying half the price. They said they would lower the price. I said too late. So if you go with RR negotiate. However, I am quite satisfied with DSL.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline blkmgc

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 05:21:00 AM »
Cable.
Debdenboys.comAdministrator

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 10:45:56 AM »
I fix computer problems for a living, among other things.

Lately I'm encountering more and more neighborhoods where the cablemodem connection is shot to hell in prime-time (that is, 5-8pm weeknights). The problem is that the cable company hasn't provided enough bandwidth to accommodate all the users in a single neighborhood, and everyone's speed and pingtimes drop off a cliff.

DSL may be slower overall, but it's speed and reliability doesn't change throughout the day. If you pay for 3MB speeds, you'll get that speed all day.

So I say get DSL.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 10:54:52 AM »

Lately I'm encountering more and more neighborhoods where the cablemodem connection is shot to hell in prime-time (that is, 5-8pm weeknights). The problem is that the cable company hasn't provided enough bandwidth to accommodate all the users in a single neighborhood, and everyone's speed and pingtimes drop off a cliff.

DSL may be slower overall, but it's speed and reliability doesn't change throughout the day. If you pay for 3MB speeds, you'll get that speed all day.

So I say get DSL.

-Llama

I had Comcast cable.I switched to Verizon DSL "the slower one even" and my connection is flatter than the cable connection was.I seem to get better overall performance.I had heard Comcast over sold theyre Bandwith.That doesnt supprise me at all.

Pipz

Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 10:56:46 AM »
I had TWC for a long time with no problems until Comcast bought them in this area.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline CHAPPY

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 10:57:23 AM »
AT&T DSl if fine for AH2 :aok

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 11:04:56 AM »
TWC Premium.  I love it.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 12:14:42 PM »
Roadrunner was great... comcast came in and it is terrible. Roadrunner was faster.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 12:42:40 PM »
I've had Cable and DSL.  I prefer cable because the bandwidth is higher, but yes it does decrease during peak times.  Like my 10mb may go down to 8mb or so during peak hours, but whats 2mb really?

DSL does give you a little bit better ping.  I average about 60ms to Dallas servers on cable and about 50ms on DSL.  But 10ms in a game like AH is again, nothing.

Service wise, ATT and Charter have never given me problems (knock on wood).  Although the billing departments in both have.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline blkmgc

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 05:35:18 PM »
It really depends on where you live. I've had TWC's regular premium and it ran 15 Mb up down forwards backwards day in and day out, whereas the DSL I had was only marginally better than dialup most times. Now I have T1 so it doesnt matter, but the main thing is it depends on where you live and if there are other controlling factors (ala Comcast or Charter) involved. If its a good cable connection, it will smoke DSL on its worse day. If its poor service and over populated, than DSL may be better. Best thing to do is ask some neighbors instead of asking folks here who are probably mostly hundreds of miles away.

My two centskis.

So I say get DSL.

-Llama
Debdenboys.comAdministrator

Offline mia389

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 08:08:55 PM »
My neighbors said Time Warner was great! Its 60$ though, but they said its worth it. My wife is stationed at WPAFB. Reason for the move. I had AT&T in San Jose and it worked until my wife got on the internet while I was on AH and it got really laggy. When Im on Xbox or AH she is always on the other PC so our internet needs to handle both of us. Her Pogo games must use some bandwith lol. Thanks for the responses

btw  Its cold here!!