Author Topic: Static IP solved MY comcast issues (for use with routers)  (Read 916 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: Static IP solved MY comcast issues (for use with routers)
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 01:20:45 AM »
The router is the last place in line to me I can ease any latency occuring, maybe just enough to stay connected, instead switching to TCP -vs- Disco. Port forwarding says do not pass go and send data from these ports (manually listed in the firmware, get them from Skuzzy) directly to my computer,... sorta speak.

IIRC comcast were using traffic shaping that used tcp rst's to reset and slow down connections (a very stupid way to control traffic). Your UDP resets were problem symptoms of a faulty router. UDP has short timeout values, so your router was probably 'forgetting' there was a conversation going on and hence your disco's.

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
Re: Static IP solved MY comcast issues (for use with routers)
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 05:24:07 AM »
IIRC comcast were using traffic shaping that used tcp rst's to reset and slow down connections (a very stupid way to control traffic). Your UDP resets were problem symptoms of a faulty router. UDP has short timeout values, so your router was probably 'forgetting' there was a conversation going on and hence your disco's.

Makes sense to me.

Animl
Animl (from the ashes of Air Warrior nation) http://home.comcast.net/~animl/