Author Topic: All hail...  (Read 7805 times)

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
Re: All hail...
« Reply #180 on: January 20, 2009, 01:16:01 AM »
Animl...

A few years ago I might have agreed. Way to many of the newer players simply don't want to "get it" and why should they? The game rewards them for what they do...why change? In their myopic view, everything is fine.

I believe it will take fundamental changes to the game to alter this behavior. Heck, HT has made a number of changes in recent years to try and "make it better" (this, in part, is why we have split arenas).

What is more sad than anything else is the guys with the "it's my $15 and I will do what I want!" attitudes.

I agree 100%. It's going to take a combination...IMO. I think MAYBE some environment tweaking and reverting back closer to reality, and the attitude of the vets of this game being more vocal.

I'm sure HTC is willing accommodate the masses if they knew what the magic answer was. I also think the initial plan of this game\sim maybe needs a reminder too. The game as a whole is great to me.

IMO,..we\they\everyone needs to quit pointing at who is who did what when where. I say this with no fowl intentions,...It's irrelevant. We don't need to know names and places, that distracts from the core of the subject and gets lost in what got us here in the first place.

I think people just stating a clear point and repliers saying yes I agree or no I don't and why is going to get more done faster. And that's the response I was hoping for in Scotch's last post <snork!> Ya I know. If there is something you don't agree with submit a tweak to it, build on it. Get serious for a change. The goal is to get a group message out, impliment it and cause a reaction. We can piece 2 and 2 who's who together between the arena and here. It's one of those "you know who you are" things.

Look at it like the shape of the USA. It's going to take smart delicate hands (no matter who it is) to get it back on track. And you'll get a whole lot more done with sugar then salt. If they really think it's too late they best hang the egos at the door and get something done.

If someone is willing to decompress and start doing things that help the sim and community, then they are ok in my book. Not that it matters to anyone.

> What is more sad than anything else is the guys with the "it's my $15 and I will do what I want!" attitudes.

Ya that's just great <eye roll>, what about the other guy's $15? IMO,..Taunting someone is one thing, stepping on their face is another. If their response is "screw them" they prolly don't deserve a listen in the first place. Everyone pays $15, that makes it a moot point (no pun intended).

I hear ya.
<S>
Animl
Animl (from the ashes of Air Warrior nation) http://home.comcast.net/~animl/

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #181 on: January 20, 2009, 01:20:40 AM »
BaldEagl I am only addressing the following paragraph from your post.

"As to the vets taking people under their wings and teaching them the finer aspects of the fight well, some of us don't have the time or just want to play during the time that we do have.  There are plenty of options available to anyone that wants to learn so don't lump this on the vets as being their fault."

In other threads I have stated that I just don't understand what the issue is concerning how the game is played.  I then read how all the vets state how little the new players know about ACM and other such things.  Then I read that the only way that the new players can learn is learn from the community which I would interpret as being taught by the players that know (vets).

I then run across a post concerning how the vets just don't have the time or whatever to teach the new folks.  I hope you don't mean that the new players have to solely depend on the Aces High Training Staff for their information.  As much help that they are, they are still few in numbers, and there is no way they can staff the TA to provide this training around the clock for new players.

Right when I think I understand, I get confused again.  The old timers want the new guys to learn, but they do not want to take the responsibility to help teach them.

I'm not speaking about all, because I have had some assistance from some of the "old pros".  Just recently I was honored to work one on one with Delirum.  It was a learning experience, and I'm still trying to put in practice what I learned, that is when I can keep an "old vet" from picking me when I'm in a one on one.  :)

So I ask this question respectfully.  If the "vets" don't have time and/or desire to help teach, then who should the new players turn to?

Another confusing moment

Fred
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 01:22:39 AM by bmwgs »
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #182 on: January 20, 2009, 01:37:18 AM »
BaldEagl I am only addressing the following paragraph from your post.

"As to the vets taking people under their wings and teaching them the finer aspects of the fight well, some of us don't have the time or just want to play during the time that we do have.  There are plenty of options available to anyone that wants to learn so don't lump this on the vets as being their fault."

In other threads I have stated that I just don't understand what the issue is concerning how the game is played.  I then read how all the vets state how little the new players know about ACM and other such things.  Then I read that the only way that the new players can learn is learn from the community which I would interpret as being taught by the players that know (vets).

I then run across a post concerning how the vets just don't have the time or whatever to teach the new folks.  I hope you don't mean that the new players have to solely depend on the Aces High Training Staff for their information.  As much help that they are, they are still few in numbers, and there is no way they can staff the TA to provide this training around the clock for new players.

Right when I think I understand, I get confused again.  The old timers want the new guys to learn, but they do not want to take the responsibility to help teach them.

I'm not speaking about all, because I have had some assistance from some of the "old pros".  Just recently I was honored to work one on one with Delirum.  It was a learning experience, and I'm still trying to put in practice what I learned, that is when I can keep an "old vet" from picking me when I'm in a one on one.  :)

So I ask this question respectfully.  If the "vets" don't have time and/or desire to help teach, then who should the new players turn to?

Another confusing moment

Fred
Name one good stick who refuses to help out a new guy. You can't do it.
The problem lies with the fact that ACM is not an easy skill to learn, it takes countless times being sent to the tower. Why take 6 months (at least) to learn too have 1/2 of at clue what your doing, when you can shoot at town buildings to give you instant gratification.
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #183 on: January 20, 2009, 01:45:44 AM »
Name one good stick who refuses to help out a new guy. You can't do it.
The problem lies with the fact that ACM is not an easy skill to learn, it takes countless times being sent to the tower. Why take 6 months (at least) to learn too have 1/2 of at clue what your doing, when you can shoot at town buildings to give you instant gratification.

I think you need to reread my post.  I think you may be the one confused this time.

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #184 on: January 20, 2009, 01:56:27 AM »
I'm not speaking about all, because I have had some assistance from some of the "old pros".  Just recently I was honored to work one on one with Delirum. 

I'm not really old (34 years young), nor am I a pro, but regardless it was my pleasure to help you.

Seeing your flying change right before my eyes was great stuff. You became much more aggressive and confident, I hope the time makes your time on AH all the better. If the joy of being in AH increases, it will definitely make me smile as well.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again (and this isn't aimed at Bmwgs.

I don't care what anyone does in AH (furballing, GVing, or even base taking), just be good at what you do and don't use the horde as a substitute for skill.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Kyatoru

• Zinc Member
« Reply #185 on: January 20, 2009, 02:42:01 AM »
This will probably be the only time that I directly address Falcon in the rest of this thread, because my intent is not a flame war. According to some, such as Falcon is implying, your opinion only matters if you've been around a long time and if people know you, never mind the actual message. 2 years as Scotch on the bbs isn't long enough so I'll post under this account instead. Hopefully this one is old enough for the date droppers. :pray

Quote from: FALCONWING
Your podium perched "furballers" like to pontificate but do nothing to advance the game.  I have no idea who you are and I've been in aw/ah since 1996...and I truly won't miss you when your gone again.  It WILL happen because you will never care enough about this game and its development to actually spend the time to do anything but pontificate.  Talk is cheap and yours seems particularly worthless
Wow!  You really know me well!  For a guy with a fiter k/d of 1.6 and a attack k/d of 0.6 you should spend a little time in the TA before you talk smack...I think the 2 weeker would have a better chance of killing you however. :devil  According to your squaddie zazen since your attack and fiter score sucks he wouldn't even respect you enough to be civil to you.
Here is a tip you will likely dismiss....The way to change things is not by insulting but by leading.

I don't remember you from Air Warrior either, however I came into contact with many many people and can't remember all of them from over 10 years ago. I do know you from here. But while you were scoring it up in the Romper Room back in AW, I was volunteering 2 hours a day every Sunday morning leading classes of 2-5 as an AWAR Trainer under Rodan and Infidel/NB on AOL AW3. In addition I uploaded numerous films and fuel charts to their archives as well as created a website with ACM write ups of my own. I also led a squad and spent a large amount of time transitioning pilots from RR to FR. I then transfered to Gamestorm when the newer training area was opening up, right before total demise.  

Here in Aces High I regularly help out anyone who asks and sometimes people who don't. As I mentioned before I am constantly in the DA working with people. I also will answer the occasional question on the Help forums. Funny I have not seen you post there much at all. I cannot think of one 'furballer' that will not or has not gone out of their way to actually help some one. After all, a furballer needs another skilled furballer to have a good fight. The more the better. Your claims that this 'elitist' group is too high on their horse holds no water for that simple fact. They need other skilled fighters to fly against. And they absolutely hate the horde mentality stealing away good pilots to sucky-dom.
I'd wager to guess that a search of the name SkyRock will yield many results of a player saying that once he took them to the DA, he was the most helpful person they had ever encountered.

I realize my k/d stats might not be good enough for the likes of you. I have the bad habbit of lawn darting when I see a sheep on terra firma.  :D I could point to the tour when I tried for score and finished 3rd behind Shawk and Rod? But that's fairly insignificant imo. I'm okay with that. But if you ever get the nerve, I always love the good fight.

I have, and will continue to put in my share of work towards the progression of this game. Which is what spawned the creation of this thread in the first place. If you re-read my posts, you will see that I have no problem with the gv'er or land grabber. They can drive PT boats if they want. The issue I bring up is Hording as a crutch rather than working to master whatever function of the game you find the most enjoyable. And specifically what these hordes are doing to the games future.

Now the rest of your quotes I will respond to by posting one simple film. People can take from it what they want.  They should read the below quotes from you before watching it though.
It's funny that it took another Muppet to actually come in and kill me. The 38,spit, 51, f4f etc were all very cute and I understand that 13minutes of 'extending' must be taxing on the fuel tank.  :salute He caught me looking at Sheeps Quarterly in the beginning. It was the May '99 issue.  ;)

And Scotch...trying to vulch my out of gas tempest landing after chasing me back to base really lets me know how much "honor" and "old guard" you really are...
Our 2 weeker ups out of an airbase....a pair of tempests are lurking over the base...as soon as he clears the field ack they take passes at him until he gets nailed...."kappa killed you"  "fester killed you" pops up over and over again...he ups a distant base to try and get some alt and by the time he arrives they are gone.  WTG's all around when they land their kills...
Ive been in the bops going on 4 years noq and ive never heard falcnwng call over vox "so and so shot me down...all bops up with me and lets slap him silly" learn before you talk scotch.
Since I don't know the guy and haven't encountered him except once that I remember...that is all I have to go on...Take off your glasses Del...he was the one who suggested that I couldn't handle a two weeker and would target him with my minions to drive him from the game.  He shouldn't dish out what he can't take...

I do believe that to an extent acm is reflected in stats...if you can't kill more then you are killed then you have poor judgement, skill or both.  I defend, dont grab up, jabo, get vulched, attack toen acks and still have a k/d > 2 in attack.  I'll never be called an alt-monkey and rarely vulch... Now does that mean I can beat Scotch in the DA?  Dunno...since all he does is fly fiters i would hope he would be good at that...but i can control throttle and flaps and play lead turn games in the DA as well as any...i would be happy to see how that turns out... :cool:

Falconwng vs Scotch
http://www.speedyshare.com/499252370.html

Anyways..  :salute

Scotch
also once known as:
Thias, Kyatoru, AWARKya, BHKya, #3106, #1657
in:
AOL AW2, Mac AW (AOL/GS) AOL/GS AW3, WB's, AH Beta, AH2.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 02:50:56 AM by Kyatoru »
-Kya-

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #186 on: January 20, 2009, 03:07:05 AM »
<S> everyone else.

I'll respond later. Time to fly!
-AoM-

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #187 on: January 20, 2009, 03:24:49 AM »
Which 10? What date? Do you remember the AI you fought? How about the fights you didn't have??

I don't remember the fights I didn't have. :rofl :rofl

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Dadano

• Nickel Member
« Reply #188 on: January 20, 2009, 03:37:28 AM »
That's some great flying Falc. :aok
Dano
Army of Muppets

"Furballing is a disease, and we are the cure... Oink."
-Twitchy

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #189 on: January 20, 2009, 03:49:39 AM »
 :lol
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #190 on: January 20, 2009, 04:59:19 AM »
See Rule #4

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
« Reply #191 on: January 20, 2009, 05:09:22 AM »
I'm not really old (34 years young), nor am I a pro, but regardless it was my pleasure to help you.

Seeing your flying change right before my eyes was great stuff. You became much more aggressive and confident, I hope the time makes your time on AH all the better. If the joy of being in AH increases, it will definitely make me smile as well.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again (and this isn't aimed at Bmwgs.

I don't care what anyone does in AH (furballing, GVing, or even base taking), just be good at what you do and don't use the horde as a substitute for skill.

<snork!>
 :cool:
Animl
Animl (from the ashes of Air Warrior nation) http://home.comcast.net/~animl/

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
« Reply #192 on: January 20, 2009, 06:49:48 AM »
lol
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
« Reply #193 on: January 20, 2009, 07:08:23 AM »
 :lol  Is dive to own field ack ACM?
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #194 on: January 20, 2009, 07:10:49 AM »
Anyone think that removing the mission tab might solve anything?

I think it would solve the problems of if you want to run missions, your squad has to work together. Although I do think people would work around this, I think it would reduce the glamorizing of joining a 30 man smack and grab mission. Especially to the new guy
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz