Author Topic: Static IP solved MY comcast issues (for use with routers)  (Read 917 times)

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
Static IP solved MY comcast issues (for use with routers)
« on: January 18, 2009, 09:35:46 PM »
I'm posting this here, but I'm sure Skuzzy will move it.

If you are NOT using a router, and\or port forwarding for that router DO NOT use this.

Been a couple months now since implementing a static IP in TCP\IP properties. I don't know if anyone else uses this or tried it, but it most certainly produced positive results on my end. I'm sure the results depend on many things, what may work for some may not work for others.

Basically when I came back to AH under Comcast (Disastrous for gaming) connection. I got MASSIVE discos due to loss of connection, and UDP issues. Could not play for more then 20-30 minutes without a disco.

While looking into Port Forwarding, because I play off a wireless router and was trying about anything, it didn't do much for my issue. On the same site gives instructions for setting up a Static IP (sickish easy to do). And Whalla problem solved.

Now, between now and then (several months) I have re-formatted, and as long as it was not static, I would dump out of the game left and right, over and gut-wrenching over again. Put it back in and all is well again.

What I do see from time to time is switching from UDP to TCP, but that doesn't boot me. I just warp while the switch over takes place. That doesn't happen but every so often.

If you're having connection issues you may want to try this. Go here...
http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

Select your Operating System and go from there. Keep in mind there are no promises this will work for you, fact IS it did wonders for me. I get NO more discos due to connection issue.

GL
<S>
Animl

« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 09:58:38 PM by Animl »
Animl (from the ashes of Air Warrior nation) http://home.comcast.net/~animl/

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
Re: Static IP solved MY comcast issues (so far)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 09:52:35 PM »
It should be noted that you should only EVER set your network adapter to static if your are going through a router, if you do so and are directly connected to your cable modem/DSL/whatever it can cause you to lose connectivity totally.

http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm does not mention that you MUST be on a router to use these settings and you MUST make congruent settings on said router for any of this to even work.

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 09:54:01 PM »
Also keep in mind, that this may not work for you if you don't use a router and port forwarding. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

Animl

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 09:55:15 PM »
It should be noted that you should only EVER set your network adapter to static if your are going through a router, if you do so and are directly connected to your cable modem/DSL/whatever it can cause you to lose connectivity totally.

http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm does not mention that you MUST be on a router to use these settings and you MUST make congruent settings on said router for any of this to even work.

Yes you are correct, alhtough it is mentioned it's alittle hidden, I forgot to mention that, but did so in a reply below.

I kinda botched this post. Below is a link to port forwarding.
http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

TY for catching that.
Animl
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 10:19:12 PM by Animl »

Offline ded

• Copper Member
Re: Static IP solved MY comcast issues (for use with routers)
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 10:56:18 PM »
It sounds more like your router has a problem than anything else.  I would say to update your firmware or try getting dd-wrt.

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 11:59:01 PM »
It sounds more like your router has a problem than anything else.  I would say to update your firmware or try getting dd-wrt.

Linksys, updated firmware. Know all about WRT, but haven't implemented it yet. As long as my problems are fixed, I don't see implementing something just because it exist. Had this not worked I probably would have.

But thanks for the input, it may help someone else.

I had a guy in the LW last night (not mentioning names) told me there was no way this would work. <wild giggle>. This of course was months after it has in fact solved MY issue. As I stated, this may not help everyone, I'm just passing along an option to try others may not even know about. Not everyone is tech savvy.

Although I am not up on things like Skuzzy (and crew) is, his job was exactly what I did in AW. So it is somewhat an educated suggestion\guess. I'm just not confident on the newish stuff to fully stick my neck out there.

It's not pushing something as much as making people aware other options exist,.. to TRY. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. BUT, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Animl

Offline bcadoo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 03:29:07 AM »
What is a "Whalla problem" ??

or is it 'voila' ?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:56:25 AM by bcadoo »
The fight is the fun........Don't run from the fun!
"Nothin' cuts the taste of clam juice like a big hunk o' chocolate" - Rosie O'Donnell

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 08:10:30 AM »
More than likely that is not related to the Comcast problem. That would be more an internal problem in your network. Setting your PC's IP to static has nothing to do with comcast if your through a router. The router has the IP from Comcast the PC IPs are all internal.

I'm thinking you chose an IP that is not in those set aside for DHCP or you have DHCP off. In any case that would be internal on your personal network.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 02:15:50 PM »
I run comcast and have for years. I have WIRED router and modem, and have not had this "every 20-30 minutes" discos. I get latency at times, and odd packet loss at other times, but overall it's moderately capable of gaming on.

I suspect the issue is with your wireless setup or options. I did not have to do any port forwarding on my hub, or any static IP (which, FYI, you have to talk to Comcast about, because they have to give you the static IP otherwise you aren't guaranteed to get it) settings. My hub does, however, automatically do my DHCP for me, because windows sucks at that.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 03:07:17 PM »
I run comcast and have for years. I have WIRED router and modem, and have not had this "every 20-30 minutes" discos. I get latency at times, and odd packet loss at other times, but overall it's moderately capable of gaming on.

I suspect the issue is with your wireless setup or options. I did not have to do any port forwarding on my hub, or any static IP (which, FYI, you have to talk to Comcast about, because they have to give you the static IP otherwise you aren't guaranteed to get it) settings. My hub does, however, automatically do my DHCP for me, because windows sucks at that.

On his internal network he can set static IPs. His router handles the IP or IPs that comcast may set. All comcast can see is his one router.. as if it was a single computer. He can have as many behind the router as he wants. I pretty much keep 5 machines connected at home all the time. Comcast sees it as one machine because of my router.

Your HUB on the other hand will allow one way traffic at a time and let comcast see any machine connected to it.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 04:09:12 PM »
Well thanks for the input, I never gamed on a router, better yet wireless, until about a year ago.

Comcast definitely sucks out here near Chicago. I've pinged and and ran tracert on it a good 100 times. As it passes through Chicago, it gets real weak and ugly. I do beleive Skuzzy verified this for me, if I remember right.

Comcast may be better where you are located, but it has real issues out this way, and I can pin point where they start. And the only thing I can attribute it to is I'm losing less packets as an end result in the last step to my PC, just enough to keep it connected until the next packets come in,...by port forwarding.

Obviously, if things are in good shape where you are located then you have no need to venture for every thread of help you can muster out of something. Losing a couple packets because it's so weak means the difference of staying connected and not. If port forwarding improves end result latency then I'll take it. If it's weak as it approaches the router, and going through the router weakens it more, then the streamlining might be producing a little less loss.

The router is setup just fine. All those things that should be on are on, including DHCP. I've tried the setup many different ways, from reset to default , update the firmware, to fancy changes. Right now it's running back to default with THE only thing that produced results,..port forwarding and static IP.

As a common rule, the more thing you have connected in line, the more chances for loss, error or latency.

My point being, if you run through a router and have the same issues, it's well worth trying, that's why they implement it in the firmware. If it works for me there's no reason why it can't work for someone else with the same issues. It's not a universal setting everyone should invoke.

Chances are if you run without a router you're getting a more even direct flow and less latency to begin with. But lets not talk like it can't help someone else by saying it's all my router's fault, of course it is. :)

You could very well be right 100%, BUT, it's an option that really shouldn't be down played. The router is set up for gaming (even labeled as such) and port forwarding for a reason, it's not a hidden trick.

Thanks for the input, as long as I can play because of it, I guess it's to my benefit. :) I just hope other people remain aware of it in case they have the same problems too. Some people may not be aware of it existing in their router at all.

<S>
Animl

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 04:25:17 PM »
If he's running without a router then his IP is visible outside and makes him more susceptible to invasion.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 06:10:37 PM »
If you need to use port forwarding with AH it indicates you have a fairly rubbish router.

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 06:21:17 PM »
Animl

Intersting topic, thanks for posting.  I run comcast about 20 miles west of Chicago, have for years since they were ATTBI, and haven't ever had a problem that wasn't corrected within 24-48 hours.  Low 45 - 70 ping average.

Surfboard 5101 modem
Linksys Wired router BEFSR41
4 PC's total
I do use Port Triggering but not port forwarding.

Truth be told I've setup 2 and only 2 wireless routers and hated both of them, would never use wireless for gaming either in my router , keyboard or mouse. 

"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Animl

• Copper Member
      • Animal Tactics
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 10:12:26 PM »
Animl

Intersting topic, thanks for posting.  I run comcast about 20 miles west of Chicago, have for years since they were ATTBI, and haven't ever had a problem that wasn't corrected within 24-48 hours.  Low 45 - 70 ping average.

Surfboard 5101 modem
Linksys Wired router BEFSR41
4 PC's total
I do use Port Triggering but not port forwarding.

Truth be told I've setup 2 and only 2 wireless routers and hated both of them, would never use wireless for gaming either in my router , keyboard or mouse. 

I'm using LinkSys, prolly the cheapo, WRT54G. Not by choice but necessity. I have 2 other computers running, all on wireless, except the main, which I don't\can't game on. I can't remember if it's slot 1 or 4 that is suppose to be optimized for gaming if using a wire, serach the documentation.

There are several articles here in the BBs about various issues with Comcast making prioroity changes that basically whips the bird at gamers. A simple search will reveal those articles in Tech Support.

What I would do is run PingPlotter in the bkg while playing\testing AH. The dumps\discos could almost be predicted, it seemed like it would either be 10 minutes, or somewhere between 25-40, sorta of a random pattern. As soon as I discoed I'd beeline to Ping, Tracert, or PingPlotter, I needed to see it as it was happening. No matter what I used, at the time of the disco, on consistant 95% of the time (say 20-25 times) the stream was interrupted going through Chicago, IL, from here.

The stream seems to run East to West from here, as it passes through Griffith,IN
Hammond, IN
Then Chicago,IL (Level13.net(booo hisss)) This is where is gets nasty during a disco.

If you're in say the West suburbs of Chicago you're probably better off as you're on the other side of the mess. You're blessed <g>. location location location. <GGG>

The way I figure it, there's not much I can do about the routing through Chicago.

The router is the last place in line to me I can ease any latency occuring, maybe just enough to stay connected, instead switching to TCP -vs- Disco. Port forwarding says do not pass go and send data from these ports (manually listed in the firmware, get them from Skuzzy) directly to my computer,... sorta speak.

My analysis is, it's both Comcast and my router as a combination. Hence, I remove the router issue and just deal with any Comcast issue instead of both. Which isn't quite bad enough to boot me, but it will switch to TCP instead. I don't think I'd have the same problem without a router in line (do I want to be on one). Nor if I were on the west or north side of Chicago,..But the combination is nasty, seriously.

I never liked using Cable over DSL for gaming anyway. Cable is faster, but as I remember sloppy in dropping more packets.

All I can swear to is it stopped my discos. :)

<S>
Animl