Author Topic: Proper strategy in missions  (Read 855 times)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Proper strategy in missions
« on: January 21, 2009, 12:25:57 PM »
Make all the difference.  Yesterday's HQ/A95 hits were a nearly perfect example.  Took out the radar with an NOE (if I heard right) and followed up with hits on A95 within minutes and A94, capturing A94 for a while and starting a great fight in that whole area.

This is how it ought to be done..  Eventualy the numbers on the defenders' side outweighed the attackers, ending it with a pile-up of friendlies at A89, but in the mean time there was a nice break from the usual.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 12:27:28 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
Re: Proper strategy in missions
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 12:35:52 PM »
Maybe these guys will take some pointers?   :D

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,256742.0.html
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 12:39:47 PM »
I think supporting ops are one of the most forgotten elements of general strategy in the Mains. You'll see a huge gang over the main target area, but no one hits the surrounding bases. It happens frequently with the defenders: Base is under attack so they roll jabos or buffs from elsewhere to hit troops and ords at the surrounding fields. However I seldom see the attackers target secondary objectives to draw defenders away from the primary objective, or deny them the resources to adequately support the defense.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 12:45:55 PM »
Our rare squad nights almost always involve a mission that attacks 4 or 5 bases at the same time. The primary target almost always gets completed quite quickly.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 12:57:47 PM »
While SAPP generally does not take bases we do on rare occasion take one way in the backfield. We call those "Alamo Mishuns". We only do it to Stir a fight. Way back there you generally only run into folks looking for a fight so it becomes a nice affair. Other than those times we do nothing towards base taking or strat killing.

One other operation we do is called "Candy Mountain". We will fly something other than our 38s. Stukas or something else with little or no firepower. It's a jig till you die type of outting.

Always a lot of fun.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 01:02:03 PM »
While SAPP generally does not take bases we do on rare occasion take one way in the backfield. We call those "Alamo Mishuns". We only do it to Stir a fight. Way back there you generally only run into folks looking for a fight so it becomes a nice affair. Other than those times we do nothing towards base taking or strat killing.

One other operation we do is called "Candy Mountain". We will fly something other than our 38s. Stukas or something else with little or no firepower. It's a jig till you die type of outting.

Always a lot of fun.

QFT!  ALWAYS a lot of fun. 
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 01:03:14 PM »
Hehe shuffler, Its always fun when i log in and see a bunch of P38s defending a lone field 300 miles from their next friendly field.   :rock
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 01:05:54 PM »
it was definitely a good time.

the strategy behind the invasion made it a good fight and fun to be defending against. at least it wasnt the constant mindless noe hording missions that have become the commonplace staple of the game lately. they had a destination and a goal and strove to achieve their ends by the implementation of a mixed bag of strategies and tactics all grandly performed and executed.

it took a while of back and forth push and pull fighting mixing gv's jets and a/c of all sorts, but the invaders were finally repulsed and driven out of the territory.

launching their attack at A95 and initially bypassing A94 was a brilliant jump. after the dar went down it left most of us confused about the intended direction and goal of the attack. we had multiple people looking for them with no success, until by a fluke of luck i went to the tower at F94 just in time to see the 47's and 51's coming in. with the alarm raised just soon enough to give the warning of the raid on A94 the defenders rallied and got gv's on the ground and planes in the air to put up the fight. even after the hangers were dropped we could spawn in and fly in support from the surrounding bases. we held the line at A94.

the only flaw i found in the strategy was the failure to capture v base 88 and drop the v and f hangers surrounding A95 right away. this would have delayed the inevitable counter attacks that prevented them from maintaining the foot hold they had accomplished in the initial invasion. it was the gver's spawning in from those bases that prevented the inevitable capture of A94.

the funny part is that the only horde that i resented in the entire battle was the final one that the defenders had compiled to attack and retake A95. the fight was down to its last with little resistance remaining when 20 rooks boomed into the base and quashed the final 2 or 3 enemy left to resist. the base was then retaken within a few moments and the invasion was over.

i was saddened to see it end.

it was good work and fun times <SALUTE> to the planners and implementers of this fine invassion. you made TT actually fun for the first time in a long time.

FLOTSOM

FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 01:06:18 PM »
Maybe these guys will take some pointers?   :D

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,256742.0.html

For what? We already know what a horde is.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Joker2

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 03:59:07 PM »
Thank You Moot it was ghi's idea i believe.

The attack on 94 was a diversion to get the goon into 95. Or in reverse i can't remember

But you are right it was the only way to stop the constant alt monkey crap that was going on up north.

Sadly i had to log shortly after the 95 capture and did'nt get to enjoy the battle.
I WANTED TO BE THE FIRST KID ON MY BLOCK WITH A CONFIRMED KILL!

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 05:04:27 PM »
I think supporting ops are one of the most forgotten elements of general strategy in the Mains. You'll see a huge gang over the main target area, but no one hits the surrounding bases. It happens frequently with the defenders: Base is under attack so they roll jabos or buffs from elsewhere to hit troops and ords at the surrounding fields. However I seldom see the attackers target secondary objectives to draw defenders away from the primary objective, or deny them the resources to adequately support the defense.
Couldn't agree more. Several times I've taken part in one of the ubiquitous late-nite FB NOE raids. They hardly ever hit the VH's of adjacent fields to prevent reinforcement/resupply of the target, and actually suggesting that they do so usually gets the VOX equivalent of a blank stare. :confused: Lots of times I just up a heavy jug and try to drop the adjacent VH myself.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 05:16:15 PM »
What I found great was that it wasn't just opening the mission birdcage and letting em out to hit their targets at random.  The HQ-Airfield timing was spot on.  Just throwing a hundred pixel pilots all at once on a couple of targets isn't really proper 'support' strategy.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 08:04:52 PM »
What I found great was that it wasn't just opening the mission birdcage and letting em out to hit their targets at random.  The HQ-Airfield timing was spot on.  Just throwing a hundred pixel pilots all at once on a couple of targets isn't really proper 'support' strategy.

Something I found cool was when we thwarted the original attack on 94, they immediately restructured their battle plans.  J0ker was in an M3 heading to town at 94, 15 minutes later he was shooting down my 163 ina B26 after another successful HQ raid which would attempt to set up another mission in the dark but I think by that time we had too many pilots buzzing around for it to be anymore successful than it already had been.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 08:08:18 PM by grizz441 »

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 08:28:37 PM »
So lemme get this straight...the Joker's Jokes and a fw other squads went Rook to do this ops mission together?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 08:47:20 PM »
Thank You Moot it was ghi's idea i believe.

The attack on 94 was a diversion to get the goon into 95. Or in reverse i can't remember

But you are right it was the only way to stop the constant alt monkey crap that was going on up north.

Sadly i had to log shortly after the 95 capture and did'nt get to enjoy the battle.
I thought JJ was bish?