Author Topic: Can we change Inst-a-death (tm) tree damage...  (Read 131 times)

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
Can we change Inst-a-death (tm) tree damage...
« on: October 08, 2001, 06:59:00 PM »
...to something a bit more sophisticated.  It was ok before when the only things to hit were buildings but the instant-death trees are pretty poor.  Buildings can be seen a long way off but the trees only appear at close range.  This can be disastrous for low alt flying as you don't have time to avoid them.  One little graze of a tree and you're in the tower.

I don't want to see trees as rubber objects but can we get them to do damage rather than just killing the plane/vehicle?

In RL planes lost wingtips and caught branches in radiators etc...

Trees are a great addition IMO but I would like it even more if we get the above.   :cool:

--------------------

Click on image to go to the 412th home page...

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: Blue Mako ]

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2001, 07:25:00 PM »
I agree. I would much rather see some sort of visible damage occur when hitting gound objects, instead of just instant death.

I was landing the other dat in the 262 (before tree removal at runways) and I think maybe my left wingtip touched the tip of a palm leaf. I didn't get any sort of scraping noise or flight wobble, I just died. Very poor.

I also tried out the new M8. Was driving around and saw another GV to shoot at. I pulled up behind a tree and was setting up a firing position. The GV got killed by freindly, so I decided to pull forward again. The right front corner of my ARMORED VEHICLE touched the tree as I was pulling forward and turing left. Instant death  :( That is even more lame. I think a GV should be able to withstand a minor collision with a frigging tree.

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2001, 02:44:00 AM »
Oh i guess an amoured GV should withstand more than a minor collision with a tree. Its the tree that gets hurt.  :D

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2001, 07:43:00 PM »
<el knitwear>

up you go...

[ 10-16-2001: Message edited by: Blue Mako ]

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2001, 01:50:00 AM »
Punted again to keep it in the limelight...

Offline JimBear

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2001, 11:56:00 AM »
I thought it was already in effect? Started to pull out when i saw the trees,was down amongst them and heard a crack, me tail was gone....  fluttered to earth then went boom  :D

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2001, 02:38:00 PM »
Only if they did it today,  I was flying noe in mossie, monday nite with CPR and Bader, and I didnt even see the tree I hit.  Just flying along zippity do da day, wham in the tower.  I think there are monkeys in those palm trees, throwing coconuts.

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2001, 04:28:00 PM »
Crashed a dora into the trees once on takeoff, probably should have lifted off sooner.  These deaths kinda remind me of how in the Hollywood world, everything that falls off a cliff explodes when it hits the bottom.  This was parodied in some cartoon (Simpsons? Futurama? forgot) when a horse drawn carriage went over and exploded.  

I'm sure this will be something corrected in the near future.  In the meantime, if I ever decide I wanna play Otto Carius/Michael Wittman I'll be more careful...

The panzer crept forward, stalking the unknowing squad of m3's and m8's.   Carefully, the driver maneuvers the beast between the giant palms into a slight clearing.  The commander eyes the frontmost M8 and gives the order to fire.  Soon the last vehicle in the column erupts in flames.  The commander, seeing the confusion amidst the now trapped enemy units, orders his driver to surge forward so they could finish the remaining vehicles.  In the excitement, the driver failed to notice how close one lone palm tree got...   :D

mauser

[ 10-18-2001: Message edited by: mauser ]