Author Topic: XP 32 bit v Vista 64 bit  (Read 559 times)

Offline ntrudr

• Copper Member
XP 32 bit v Vista 64 bit
« on: January 22, 2009, 01:27:55 PM »
I have a Core Duo E6600 processor that can run a 64 bit OS but I am currently running Win XP 32 bit.

Also I have recently upgraded the systemboard, memory and video card and will probably upgrade to a Quad Core processor soon.

Does Vista outperform XP 32 bit when running AH?  I only use the system for games.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: XP 32 bit v Vista 64 bit
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 01:45:39 PM »
You will get a lot of different answers to that question.

The reason being is that no two Windows systems are a like.

However, at the base level of installations, Windows XP will be faster than Vista.  Overtime, they both become pretty ugly, but Windows XP has a better chance of becoming uglier as Microsoft has tightened up the default security levels in Vista versus Windows XP.

Anyone can mimick those settings in XP if they wanted to.

You did not ask about stability, and useability, so I will leave it at that.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 01:51:29 PM »
No Vista will not outperform XP in AH. The only reason to go to Vista 64 is engineering apps that require large memory pools or if you are getting OOM errors in games like FSX. Fortunately we have computers now that are overkill for AH and Vista can be made to behave. I like Vista for its improved memory handling and I would claim 'stability' but that brings out the argument of the moment. Stability is not automatic with Vista you have to work at it and that in itself defeats the purpose for most users.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 02:19:45 PM »
Overtime, they both become pretty ugly, but Windows XP has a better chance of becoming uglier as Microsoft has tightened up the default security levels in Vista versus Windows XP.

I think you meant to say Vista but I won't put words in your mouth.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 02:22:15 PM »
No no.  In its default configuration, XP is wide open to a world of spyware/malware/popups/viruses and so on.  Vista does have an edge on XP in this regard.

That does not mean Vista is better.  It simply means it is using a better set of defaults for security.  Of course, some of those things are downright painful to live with.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 03:04:09 PM »
Worst comes to worst you could use Windows XP Pro 64-bit. It's what I use and it works great IMO. Only real thing your losing out on is DX10 IMO but when you balance the pros and cons of the two you'll see XP winning every time.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 03:08:35 PM »
I heard about a month back that Microsoft released a DX10 installer for XP. Either my friend was lying to me to cover his rear that he gave in to Microsoft's attempts to sell that, "Operating System." Or my friend doesn't know the difference between DX10 and DX9.0c.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 03:25:48 PM »
There is no DX10 for XP.  Microsoft made that decision to try and force people to upgrade to Vista.  They will not turn around and go back on that.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline TilDeath

• Silver Member
      • TD Computer Systems
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 04:52:38 PM »
Correct me Skuzzy if I am wrong but I also believe that with a 64bit install (XP or Vista) you can not "Preload into System Memory" or "Preload Skins".  I have not been able too with different video cards and OS's

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 04:56:50 PM »
Actually no, we think that issue has to do with computers which have more than 2GB of RAM installed and how Windows is reporting the used memory versus what is available in that scenario.  We have it on the list to check out.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 04:59:45 PM »
There is no DX10 for XP.  Microsoft made that decision to try and force people to upgrade to Vista.  They will not turn around and go back on that.
Okay, that's strange. The guy just reinstalled XP and mentioned he just completed installing DX10, apparently he was trying to show off.

EDIT: Well, there are some installers for DX10 for XP, however they're not from Microsoft.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 05:24:30 PM »
The XP 'version of DX10' involves hacked dll files that are not full DX10 capable.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline NOT

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 05:19:22 PM »
been using 64bit vista ultimate for about 6 months now, no problems so far. runs AH on par with XP IMO.

NOT

AKNOT